Talk

Advanced search

Self-funding, pcos, should I have ovaries drilled or straight to ivf?

(11 Posts)
icy121 Fri 12-Jun-15 17:29:32

Partner is 19 years older than me. I'm 27 but we're up against the clock as he doesn't want to be a really old father.

Consultant said 66% of women ovulate after drilling and of the 50% get pregnant within 6 months.

I took a few months on clomid (50mg, days 2-6) and ovulated every time, sometimes multiple (4 in one cycle) and nothing.

So I feel like I can be made to ovulate, but nothing happens. Won't it just be more of the same?

£3,580 for the operation - is this (tonne of) money better put towards ivf?

Please help.

Thanks xx

icy121 Fri 12-Jun-15 17:33:34

Should've said - partner's SA all perfectly normal etc. I'm the infertile one.

VixxFace Fri 12-Jun-15 17:41:04

What about iui? I am sure that's lots cheaper?

icy121 Fri 12-Jun-15 18:05:52

Hasn't been mentioned by the doc. I'll ask when I call back Monday. Has anyone had this procedure?

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 12-Jun-15 18:47:09

I have had diathermy and became pg as a direct result of this procedure (no male factor issues).

I would consider talking further to the consultant about ovarian diathermy surgery and what it involves.

IUI may well not have been mentioned because you may well not be a candidate for it due to PCOS. It was never suggested to me as a possible treatment option.

IVF should only really be tried after all other treatment options have failed. Its not readily recommended for PCOS patients mainly because there is a real risk of ovarian hyperstimulation in such women (IVF will not address the issue of the cystic follicles on the ovaries). As there are no male factor issues I would seriously consider the diathermy surgery first off.

icy121 Fri 12-Jun-15 20:12:35

I'm pencilled in for the operation - 3rd July - as it was recommended by my consultant, but just wanted to get a real life view, or hear from people who have had the operation & really just get a handle of likelihood of success.

inamaymaybewrong Sun 14-Jun-15 20:54:42

I have PCOS but ovulate most months,
Husband has no issues and I had no other issues show either.
We asked about IUI but our clinic said it would be of no benefit to us as is basically the same as regular intercourse.
As I ovulate already, drilling wasn't mentioned either. I did take Clomid to boost ovulation while waiting for IVF though. Have you tried metformin? I've only tried it recently as we try for #2 but wish it had been tried with me before.

inamaymaybewrong Sun 14-Jun-15 21:00:27

My IVF was short protocol btw, because as Attila says, there's an extra risk of hyperstimulation for PCOS-ers which can be very dangerous. I still got slight OHSS anyway and that wasn't great but I'd do it all again regardless.
Egg quality can be an issue for PCOS-ers but IVF addresses that due to the drugs given. Contrary to what Attila says, our clinic thought it was our very best option. Just a different view as I know Attila is v knowledgeable on PCOS.

icy121 Tue 16-Jun-15 19:34:17

Haven't tried metformin - did a glucose tolerance test and was decided I didn't need it, just the clomid.

Did your IVF work? How many rounds did you take?

Consultant said the drilling can help with subsequent IVF so going to go ahead with it.

Trying to kick the sugar but find it so hard. Given up alcohol now, which was, weirdly, easier.

inamaymaybewrong Tue 16-Jun-15 19:51:21

Yes, my IVF worked first time. I have a son and two remaining frozen embryos.
I would ask for metformin either way. I only started taking it a few months ago but two months later I fell pregnant naturally for the first time ever. I am not glucose intolerant. I had the test for that while pregnant with my son as pregnancy and PCOS puts you at risk of diabetes. I've since miscarried the naturally conceived pregnancy, sadly. I also miscarried a pregnancy from a frozen embryo cycle last year.

I would choose IVF over drilling for two reasons:
- even if the IVF isn't successful, it can be diagnostic of other underlying problems; and
- you would hopefully have a few frozen embryos from the cycle, regardless the outcome of the fresh transfer, so that is helpful in the long run.

And I'd take metformin while doing the cycle too. I didn't but many on here with PCOS do.

Good luck! IVF's no walk in the park but for me, it was easy compared to dealing with infertility.

icy121 Sat 11-Jul-15 23:19:28

Just an update. I had the laparoscopy. Consultant drilled the ovaries, did a dye test - found one tube was running slowly, so (I think) he said he cleared it out (had just come round from GA so bit groggy). He found endometriosis, although I don't know to what extent. I was under GA for around 2 hours, had the op Friday, back at work Monday.

Told work I was at a wedding on the Friday - stupid. Should have told at least some of the truth as I felt fucking awful on Monday - Wednesday. I walk to station, commute to London, go on underground then walk to office. Started to cry with pain on train on way home Monday, but had to stop bc crying made my (enormously bloated) stomach hurt! But fine by Thursday.

Anyway, had a period on the sunday after the operation, AND IT WAS NORMAL! Lasted 4 days, was proper red blood, liquidy, not the usual 1 day of brown gunky clot muck. That was flipping amazing in itself.

So now just hoping and praying it's done the trick. Bit nervous because I'm back to being all hopeful and imagining the best. To date this hasn't helped me. Have a follow up with consultant in October, on basis I'm not pregnant by then. Telling myself it's more than likely I'll be going along feeling sad, but can't stop myself from getting hopes up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now