Talk

Advanced search

IVF with donor eggs (fresh or frozen)?

(9 Posts)
NewMember123 Fri 12-Jun-15 12:56:45

Hi everybody,

Have decided to go for DE IVF after three failed OE IVFs (one miscarriage week 7 in the second attempt).

I am 43 now and have decided that donor egg is my way forward. I would love to hear from people's experience on going for fresh or frozen eggs. What are are the pros and cons?

Many thanks :-)

resipsa Fri 12-Jun-15 15:59:31

I had both - fresh x 2 and frozen x 1. Got pregnant then miscarried at 6 weeks with 1st fresh and frozen. Now 32 weeks with 2nd fresh. Not sure my experience really helps!

resipsa Fri 12-Jun-15 16:01:38

PS I'm 44. One bio child without assistance so know the m/cs were likely down to 'bad luck' rather than underlying issues.

resipsa Fri 12-Jun-15 16:05:14

PPS Downside to fresh is synching - with my last (successful) cycle, the donor had a delayed bleed then was on stims for a week longer than anticipated. Those 3 weeks felt like a lifetime. Frozen is easier to plan so long as your endo lining plays ball!

NewMember123 Fri 12-Jun-15 16:53:53

Thank you resipsa!

Good luck with your pregnancy, may I ask you where you did it?

Thanks! smile

resipsa Fri 12-Jun-15 20:34:31

Care in Manchester.

Good luck.

resipsa Fri 12-Jun-15 20:54:10

My earlier posts really weren't that helpful, sorry. With fresh, you need to down reg so if donor has issues, you're potentially on Buserelin for a long time - think it was 8 weeks for me last time - which is an issue if you suffer side-effects. For frozen, it's just estrogen to build the lining then progesterone pre-ET so easier on the body. As for the head, with fresh you worry about EC, numbers, fertilisation, 2/3/5 day transfer etc etc. With frozen, it's just the defrost that's stressful!

NewMember123 Fri 19-Jun-15 09:35:38

Thank you very much!

Very useful

All the best to you ;-)

teantiffin Thu 16-Jul-15 20:42:54

Interesting discussion. I'm 42 and, subject to the consultation and all the usual tests, we're opting for the egg donor route as well (potentially using a donor via the Instituto Bernabeu in Alicante - younger donors and a much better chance of success). Sadly, I have low ovarian reserve so the chances of success with my own eggs is slim. Had an early miscarriage last year. Never thought this would be my path to becoming a parent but there you go (I only met my future hubby a couple of years ago!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now