what happens at the first appt in fertility clinic?

(4 Posts)
gakay Tue 09-Jun-15 16:07:27

Have just made my first appt in fertility clinic in a month's time. What should I expect in this appt? Should my partner come along with me? Has anyone been to the clinic at Chelsea and Westminster? Am grateful for any information you could offer me.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 09-Jun-15 19:30:51

Both of you should attend this appointment if possible (its also useful to provide each other with moral support as the initial appointment can be somewhat nerve wracking).

It usually consists of a chat to both of you about your medical histories and menstrual history. They may well arrange for you both to have further tests done; if they do this make sure you know exactly why such tests are being performed.

Do not be afraid to ask them questions, no question is daft and I would write down all that you want to ask well ahead of time. You do not want to leave there thinking, "oh I should have asked about...". Take notes also during the meeting.

Good luck.

JoJoC1974 Tue 09-Jun-15 19:57:51

Agree with Attila, I thought the first appointment was about me and my husband came along for support but as it happened it was very much about both of us, if he hadn't have been with me I don't even think the appointment would have gone a head.

Ask all your questions and then after you leave and your tests start to happen, make a note of the questions you think of to take to your next appointment.

Good luck!

gakay Tue 09-Jun-15 22:40:59

Attila & Jojo Thank you for your advice. I'll ask DP to come with me as well then. Guess even if he's not needed it would be good for me to have some moral support. I've had 2 early MC's last year then have not managed to get pg for many months. The whole TTC thing is so tough and every time I think about how I still am not pg makes me cry. So it would be good to have him there. But he hates hospital...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now