Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

FET - is your age at the time of transfer a significant factor, or is success more reliant on the "age" of the eggs used?

(3 Posts)
ElizabethG81 Sat 06-Jun-15 22:31:17

Hi, just looking for a bit of advice/guidance as I've not really been able to find any statistics on this. I have 5 frozen blastocysts from an IVF cycle 3 years ago. I was 31 years old at the time and the fresh cycle resulted in twins, with the remaining embryos being frozen. I'm still undecided about whether I want a third child, and have been wondering if I would be decreasing my chances of success the longer I leave it, or do my chances stay fairly the same?

I know egg recipients are told that their chances of a successful pregnancy are good as the egg donors will be under 35. I'm just wondering what kind of issues I might develop/encounter as I get older in terms of implantation/carrying a pregnancy? Are the higher rates of miscarriage for older women linked to egg quality, or are other issues involved?

freelancescientist Sun 07-Jun-15 18:54:49

The main factor in success is the age of the eggs at the time the embryos were created. Higher rates of miscarriage in older women are related to egg quality.
Obviously the older you get the strains of being pregnant take their toll on your body and later pregnancy complications are more common because your body is a bit more knackered (to put it bluntly).

sparechange Tue 23-Jun-15 18:30:51

The age of your eggs and therefore your embryos is the biggest a factor.
If you have an Ivf pregnancy, they ask for your 'egg age' at the booking in appt..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now