Talk

Advanced search

Will I be allowed clomid with pcos and dh' slow motility?

(7 Posts)
ShortyK Sat 30-May-15 00:31:26

Hello,

I'm 29, dh is 33 and we have been ttc #1 for 18 months. We have found out I have pcos and dh has low motility and morphology.

I'm booked in for a HSG in the next couple of weeks but my question is at the follow up appointment, will I be allowed clomid? Or because of dh's slow motility will they say it's pointless? Or does it depend just how slow they are? Dh has had two sa and although the second one was much better, it was still abnormal...

I really hope they give it to me. Not sure if I'm ready for ivf/icsi just yet.

Would be really interested to hear your thoughts/experiences.

Thanks,
Shorty K

AlpacaMyBags Sat 30-May-15 00:35:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShortyK Sat 30-May-15 00:42:51

Thanks Alpaca. Yes, he stopped smoking (I forced him to!) which made a big difference. Since then we've both cut out caffeine from our diets and both take pregnacare conception so hoping that might make a difference. I've never smoked and we both rarely drink. My bmi is 32 though so I've started low gi but finding it hard to encourage dh to join me!

Were you in a similar situation? Do you mind me asking why you didn't get it?

AlpacaMyBags Sat 30-May-15 00:48:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ShortyK Sat 30-May-15 00:54:40

Ah, so pleased you fell pregnant naturally smile I'm still holding out hope.

I did try and use opks but as my cycle were all over the place I have up but I have just ordered some more. I was trying to be relaxed about the whole thing but after 18 months I'm not finding that so easy.

I'll take you advice and download Fertility Friend. I do track my cycles (ish) but not on an app.

Thanks for the advice!

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 30-May-15 09:14:04

I think you are well beyond the stages of using OPKs to be honest with you, also they are ill advised to use anyway if PCOS is present (infact some manufacturers of OPKs actually advise to not use these if PCOS is a factor). You could well end up with multiple false positive results and it will not make you feel any better.

Clomid is infact not suitable for all PCOS patients but if you were given it you need to be monitored whilst on it. No monitoring is completely unacceptable, you would have no way of knowing whether its doing its job or not (clomid's main job is to make the ovaries work harder). Also you being given clomid will in no way address the male factor issues.

Lifestyle changes (like cutting down on alcohol and stopping smoking) can help but sperms are very complicated things really and there is much that is not fully understood. I would urge you not to keep spending money on vitamin supplements and the like.

Keep up with the low GI/GL eating plan; that is beneficial to you as well in the long term.

You both need to have a long and detailed discussion with the gynae consultant, it is vital that the three of you can communicate effectively and work as a team.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 30-May-15 09:17:43

Have you had recent blood tests done for your LH and FSH levels, these would give a far more accurate picture in any case. Have you also had any internal ultrasound scans done recently?.

HSG is a useful test to have done as it can show any deformities INSIDE the tube not accessible by other methods. They should be able to tell you at the time whether your tubes are patent (open). It should not cause you any undue pain providing as well the dye is injected both slowly and carefully. Wear sanitary protection afterwards because that dye (they use about a teaspoonful) will come out. If DH can drive you home afterwards so much the better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now