Talk

Advanced search

IVF at 45

(28 Posts)
Maurice169 Thu 21-May-15 13:25:16

Hi
Has anyone had success with donor egg IVF at 45 years old. I'm about to undergo my first round and getting a bit nervous?!. Thanks

sebsmummy1 Thu 21-May-15 13:27:54

Not personal experience no, but my fertility acupuncturist has treated quite a few older ladies who opted for IVF with a donor egg and they were successful. I think the oldest she has mentioned was about 55 grin

Persipan Thu 21-May-15 14:26:19

With donor eggs, I believe your chances are pretty decent, aren't they? Like, I'm pretty sure your odds are actually better than mine (38, own eggs)! Don't be too nervous - there are never any guarantees, and it may not work for you, but it sounds like it'll give you a good shot. Good luck!

resipsa Fri 22-May-15 19:44:14

I have at 44. Due early Aug, just before I turn 45. Good luck.

Maurice169 Fri 22-May-15 21:17:17

Congratulations resipsa!.
Do you mind if I ask how many embryos you decided to put back.
My partner and I are going around in circles, two betters the chance, but more likely to have complications?

colafrosties Fri 22-May-15 22:59:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Maurice169 Sat 23-May-15 09:11:54

Wow, that's great to hear cola.
I think it's looking more like we'll end up deciding on the day. I know a lot depends on the quality of the embryos?.

colafrosties Sat 23-May-15 10:31:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

resipsa Sun 24-May-15 09:22:06

We had 2 viable embryos on transfer day and for other reasons had decided it was our last round so had both put back. As matters transpired, both implanted but one was lost at 6 weeks. I have to say that sad as that was, not sure I/my body could really have coped with twins. It was a messy time, just before Xmas, and I assumed the loss (like my 2 others at about 6 weeks) was the end. It was only when I went for a scan on Xmas Eve to check for retained tissue (as I had started to feel v ropey) that it became clear one had hung on in there!
Good luck.

Maurice169 Sun 24-May-15 22:29:09

Sorry to hear you lost one Resipsa.
Good luck for August.
I'm Starting estrogen tablets tomorrow. Have to book for a scan to check womb lining thickness . That will be the next hurdle?!

eurochick Sun 24-May-15 22:33:02

Oh wow resipsa! What a roller coaster. I'm so pleased for you. (Not sure if you remember but we were on the egg buddies thread together last year.)

Pocket1 Thu 28-May-15 21:28:40

I fell pregnant at 45 through donor egg Ivf and had my scrumptious DD at 46.

Best of luck to you. Allow yourself to believe it can happen gringringrin

Maurice169 Fri 29-May-15 16:31:47

Pocket1 Congratulations!
I think you're right, nothing wrong with a bit of positive thinking.
Is it ok to ask how many embryos you put back?.
We're getting quite excited now as it's only weeks away. Would you believe we have to be in Barcelona sometime during the week of Spanish air traffic control strike?!.
Typical, I'll swim across the channel to make sure I'm there on time if I have to?!.��

Finola1step Fri 29-May-15 16:38:11

Not myself, but an acquaintance. Donor IVF at 42. Two embryos implanted. Then one split. Triplets all healthy and happy. Good luck and keep.thinking positive.

Pocket1 Fri 29-May-15 17:42:44

Maurice we had 2 embryos put back. Would have been happy with twins (and tripletssmile). But we are just over the moon and beyond in love with DD.

Btw despite my age my pregnancy was totally fine (other than a bleed at 6 weeks - loss of other embryo?). On the plus did you'll get additional scans. Just look after yourself. You can't do any more than you're doing.

Good luck with that swim - although I hope it doesn't come to that grin x

Naty1 Fri 29-May-15 22:15:35

We put back 2 at 32 (Dc1)
2 at 34 bfn
2 at 35 (dc2)
We only had 2 embryos total each time anyway thats why they let us put 2 back.

Maurice169 Tue 30-Jun-15 19:51:10

Hi
Just thought I'd update, incase there are any over forties trying IVF.
We've had our transfer, decided to go with one embryo. Doc said we had 3 top quality embryos, bearing in mind my age he recommended only one. Put 2 in the freezer.
3 days after transfer I noticed things were happening. Had 2 week wait for first blood test. Had a faint positive 10 days post transfer.
Blood results were good doubled in 2 days. I'm now 'officially' 5 weeks 2 days. Got a scan booked in just over a week. I'm quite nervous, fingers crossed.

bluemoonday Wed 01-Jul-15 14:26:17

That's amazing news Maurice! Congratulations!

Do you know what your AMH is by any chance? Just curious.

Maurice169 Wed 01-Jul-15 14:50:39

Awe, thanks bluemoonday.
Must admit I'm a nervous wreck at the moment. I think I'm about to give my poor partner a nervous break down?!. Just going to 'chill out '.....
Sorry I don't know my AMH off the top of my head, but I do know it was very low. My consultant gave us only 10-20 percent likelihood of conceiving with my own eggs. We wanted at least 50-50 chance, so it was a no brainier to go for donor eggs. We wanted the best chance of having a stress free pregnancy and a healthy baby at the end of it.

Trooperslane Wed 01-Jul-15 15:09:15

Fantastic news op!

A very good friend had donor egg in Spain. He's now two.

She was the same age as you.

Maurice169 Wed 01-Jul-15 19:37:31

Just checked my AMH level ...0.2.
Doesn't sound good.
My donor was 26......a mere 20 odd years younger than me.
But hey age is just a number?!smile

Maurice169 Wed 01-Jul-15 19:40:44

Thanks trooperslane
It's good news your friend had success!

Darkchoc Wed 01-Jul-15 20:35:18

Congratulations Maurice that's brilliant news, you must be very happy! Crickey to b 26 again, but as you say, age is just a number smile
I fully understand your thinking with the donor eggs and the decision to use that route.

resipsa Wed 01-Jul-15 21:54:12

Maurice - congratulations!!! gringringrin

bluemoonday Thu 02-Jul-15 11:30:03

Sounds like a fantastic donor you've got there! Well done. Your AMH is probably about right for your age, not that it matters now anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now