Talk

Advanced search

Dp has Azoospermia what to expect

(17 Posts)
natureplantar101 Tue 13-Jan-15 08:18:16

Has anyone else on here been in this situation ? we have been trying for a baby since November 2013 with nothing so we got all the tests done last November and im totally healthy and fine but DP has Azoospermia they have decided on testing his hormone levels first with some blood tests but what else will they try and what treatments etc are there ?

Theas18 Tue 13-Jan-15 08:37:11

Have a google especially the NICE website. However what you are offered will depend on local protocols etc

natureplantar101 Tue 13-Jan-15 09:16:58

just checked out the NICE website no good on mobile couldn't navigate it confused

Britbird Tue 13-Jan-15 09:21:57

It's important they investigate a cause before they look at treatment. There are numerous things that could cause this, and your DP needs to push to have all the relevant tests.

Britbird Tue 13-Jan-15 09:24:24

This site explains treatment options

www.manchesterfertility.com/blog/item/azoospermia-what-is-it-and-how-do-we-treat-it/

AugustaGloop Tue 13-Jan-15 09:28:37

Yes, been through this. Both of us had a feeling the issue was with DH, but we did not expect the diagnosis to be quite that bad!

We now have 2 DCs as a result of sperm extraction/IVF/ICSI, first attempt both times (frozen embryo for second). We were in the very fortunate position to be able to do this privately so it happened quickly so cant really comment on NHS options which we did not spend long investigating. As I recall, the urologist did not spend that much time investigating cause and just said he had a good feeling he would be able to extract sperm and got on with it!

natureplantar101 Tue 13-Jan-15 09:42:19

Well his first tests came back as 0 sperm present in the semen it was the same with the 2nd follow up samplesad he is been booked for blood tests next week to test testosterone levels and then they'll take it from there just not sure what treatment could come after that

natureplantar101 Tue 13-Jan-15 09:43:25

We'd rather conceive naturally im terrified of hospital and I've heard having ivf is worst than the pain of giving birth itself

AugustaGloop Tue 13-Jan-15 10:58:03

I think may be a bit unrealistic to expect to conceive naturally after that diagnosis. I think in some cases where it is due to a blockage they may be able to operate to remove the blockage, but my experience is that they prefer just to get on with sperm extraction.
I did not find IVF that bad. Inconvenient because of all the appointments etc, but not painful.

natureplantar101 Tue 13-Jan-15 11:16:46

Im terrified of pain and needles sad wss bad enough getting my bloods done for my ovulation check

Britbird Tue 13-Jan-15 11:52:10

Ivf is not that bad in physical terms. I didn't find it painful at all. The tough part is the emotional side.
If your DP has no sperm then you're not going to conceive without help. Of course, you might want to consider donor sperm. I really would try and get to the bottom of why your do doesn't have any sperm. Some of those reasons are fixable such as a blockage.

natureplantar101 Tue 13-Jan-15 12:57:37

We're hoping it is a blockage and he wants surgery if it is just got to see what the blood tests say and then see what step is next feels like we have about 2 years to go before havung a baby so hard to make appointments between work our local NHS is good support wise but rubbish at making appointments and keeping them

naty1 Tue 13-Jan-15 14:45:56

Ivf is almost not painful at all! I wish labour had been like it smile the egg collection was under anesthetic. 1 op was a bit painful after but it was gone in couple of hours.
As others said inconvenient. I let dp do injections mostly.
Hopefully an op would help you as that opens possibility of siblings.
How old are you? Success rates are very influenced by womens age.
And worth looking at criteria for ivf in your area as it can be stuff like bmi, previous children, some 'pct'dont provide any and some have waiting lists.
Or as PP said you could consider donor sperm, not sure if that would mean you could do IUI.

natureplantar101 Tue 13-Jan-15 14:49:40

Im 21 DP is 28 yes we are both young which is a plus sign according to the doctor she said it so much we started to worry about her grin we have plenty of time to have Dcs just rather it was sooner than later its so frustrating not knowing what is wrong with DP

natureplantar101 Tue 13-Jan-15 14:50:56

DP has also said N.O to donor sperm he is totally against having someone else's child come out of me confused his words not mine but hey ho we haven't got to that stage yet

ChouetteMouette Fri 16-Jan-15 21:44:43

We were in a very similar situation two years ago so I know how you feel! Do PM me if you want to talk. We found it hard for the obvious reasons but also because male-factor infertility still seems to be very "off limits" as a topic, so explaining to our parents was hard.

natureplantar101 Sat 17-Jan-15 13:20:44

Thanks got a letter this morning saying we have been referred to ACU grin excited but terrified of what it will entail

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: