Talk

Advanced search

IVF 2ww: day 10PT - AF like spots and headaches

(23 Posts)
Shoegal30 Wed 31-Dec-14 10:08:32

I am D10PT and over the past couple of days have started getting a headache - very similar to what I get before AF.

I have also woken up to a face full of spots - again similar to pre-AF.

I am now panicking that IVF has failed. I have been away with family for the past 5 days which has included lots of late nights so unsure if the headache and spots are because of tiredness etc as well as the progesterone pessaries.

My OTD is Monday.

Anybody have similar symptoms and then a BFP?

GalindawithaGa Wed 31-Dec-14 16:32:33

So are you 10 days post transfer? Of a 3 or 5 day emby? Either way I would have thought a HPT would be extremely accurate by now. Is there a reason you haven't poas? Or do I have the wrong end of the stick? grin

I haven't started my IVF yet but the clinic told us they would do a blood test 9 days post transfer

Shoegal30 Wed 31-Dec-14 17:13:07

10 days past a 3 day transfer. The clinic have given us a HPT and have asked us to do on Monday.

We have been TTC for over 24 months and I think I have only POAS 3 times when my period was late (all BFN).

Am thinking of holding out as have another 5 days left?

GalindawithaGa Wed 31-Dec-14 17:29:56

You are made of stronger stuff than me! In my 3.5 years TTC I must have peed on hundreds of sticks. I buy them in bulk from eBay, the 10mlU ones the NHS use.

The way it was explained to us was that the timing of the two week wait was roughly the same, so you are currently 12dpo/2 days pre-period, if it were a normal 28 day natural cycle. So our clinic does a blood test 14 days past 'ovulation' (in this case egg retrieval) which is 11 days past a 3 day transfer, or 9 days past a 5 day transfer.

Your clinic does seem to be making you wait rather a long time but I suppose it's to get an accurate result and hopefully prevent disappointment. By Monday you'll be 15 dpt, effectively 18 dpo so if your period has not come you are already late by then.

I suppose it depends how much you are afraid of being disappointed. I would rather test and get a BFN than not test but you might think differently. There is merit in waiting to see what happens, but for me the wait would totally stress me out. I really have my fingers crossed for you! thanks

Snowballsallaround Wed 31-Dec-14 17:34:10

Don't test early it will drive you mad! Plus if you had a trigger injection 36 hours before egg collection that could give you a false positive and if it's negative that could be false and you'll be upset and worrying for the next few days.

Wait for your test day try and enjoy being pregnant until proven otherwise. Early pregnancy symptoms and period symptoms are very similar so don't panic.

Good luck xx

naty1 Wed 31-Dec-14 18:24:39

I got a positive 14 dpo during ivf. (With first response)
Good luck

Shoegal30 Wed 31-Dec-14 19:45:11

Thanks for the advice ladies. I am a bit of a scaredy cat when it comes to POAS so will try and wait until Monday. Just hoping that AF doesn't show up and the headaches and acne are down to the pessaries and tiredness over the festive period.

Happy new year to you all x

Shoegal30 Sat 03-Jan-15 01:17:21

So looks like I won't make it to Monday. Have started spotting this evening - pink blood. Am certain AF is on it's way now. I am 12DPT 3DT so think it's too late for implantation bleed.

Am devastated. It's not fair.

Shoegal30 Sat 03-Jan-15 11:06:39

Definitely going to come on my period. More pink CM this morning.

I also did FR and it was a strong BFN. I can't believe it.

I don't know what to do next. How long can I wait to start again?

naty1 Sat 03-Jan-15 11:24:17

Do you have frosties?
Or will this be a fresh cycle.
As we had no frosties we had a review appt with clinic (which was months of waiting).
Did you have only 1 embryo transferred.?

Shoegal30 Sat 03-Jan-15 11:26:40

Yes Naty we only had 1 embryo transferred (8 cell on day 3) and unfortunately had no frosties.

As we will have to pay for this cycle I might consider trying a private clinic as opposed to sticking with a NHS clinic. I imagine the appointments will be much faster.

Flumpy2012 Sat 03-Jan-15 11:39:02

Ta

naty1 Sat 03-Jan-15 11:47:24

Not sure if it would be quicker. Mine was nhs and private and they were in same queue.
Hopefully private only would be quicker.
I had a 6 and 8 cell on day 3 transferred in cycle 2 which didnt work. But the quality was like b and b/c which was lower than the sucessful cycles.
Hopefully they can learn from this cycle for you.

GalindawithaGa Sat 03-Jan-15 12:16:32

Oh no Shoegal, really sorry to hear it's not looking good. Is it definite? thanks

We were told even if a cycle was unsuccessful we should go in as planned for the blood test. I think they can work out if the embryo implanted and some other data which might help future rounds. Is this the same thing they told you?

In our Trust there is still a waiting list to be seen privately at nhs facilities, but we also have local non-NHS clinics (run by BUPA I think) where there is no waiting list at all. Is something like that an option? The endless, endless waiting is so hard, no doubt you'll want to get started again. Would you consider going abroad?

Shoegal30 Sat 03-Jan-15 13:45:16

Thanks ladies.

My clinic hasn't asked me to go in for a blood test, they just gave me a HPT to do on Monday.

So although my OTD is 2 days away and my spotting has stopped, I am certain AF will show up as it's too late for this to be an implantation bleed. Also the FR test was definitely a strong negative. There wasn't even a faint line on the positive side and I am sure if it was a BFP there would be a faint line by now.

I have spent the morning crying in bed but thankfully my DH has taken control and has called a private clinic and we have an appointment for an initial consultation in 3 weeks. I just need the NHS clinic to release my records now as we have already done a lot of the tests.

I've also been reading positive stories of ppl getting a natural BFP after a failed ivf cycle. It has also happened to a girl at my work who got pregnant naturally after a failed ivf cycle so I think we are going to start trying agin next week.

Inaiya89 Sun 04-Jan-15 00:02:42

Hello ladies. I thought I would join if you don't mind. I am 25 years old and my husband is 27 years old. We have been trying to conceive. I hardly ovulate on my own or have a regular cycle because I have PCOS. For two months o have tried 100 mg of clomid and did not ovulate. My doctor doubled my dosage and i had two follicles. On day 15 my doc did an hcg shot. I experienced pain for about two days. Probably ovulation pain. We BD the day of the shot and the two days following the shot. I am hoping for some good news. I am 8 dpo and 9 days post trigger. I did hpt and it was negative. But I did notice that the hcg is out of my system. smile should I test 10 dpo or is that too early?

GalindawithaGa Sun 04-Jan-15 10:46:04

Ah Shoegal, that's just rubbish, at least your DH has sorted out the next clinic appointment. Even though the statistics mean that every attempt cannot possibly work (and in fact it doesn't work more often than it does) I think everyone still hopes and almost expects that they will be the lucky ones. I know I do, and will be devastated if it doesn't work in a few weeks time. All you can do is pick yourself up and carry on, I suppose but it feels so damn unfair! brewthanks

Inaiya it depends how sensitive your HPT is and when your implantation was but from 10dpo onwards it is possible to get a BFP, so you could test. I probably would, but I'm a poas addict! To get a more accurate result you could wait another few days. Good luck whenever you do test!

Shoegal30 Sun 04-Jan-15 11:41:58

Thanks Galinda. I understand what you mean about being the lucky ones. I know of 3 people who have had IVF and all 3 were lucky first time . 2 had male factors and the other had severe PCOS.

Do you mind me asking about your situation? Me and hubby have been diagnosed with unexplained and that's why I think our IVF failed. Others who have passed had a diagnosis as to why they weren't falling pregnant but I ovulate regularly and my husband has great sperm. The only slight issue is that my AMH is 13.9. I think there must be something wrong as me and DH have had unprotected sex over 300 times - surely I should have had a BFP at some point?

I think I am going to see if the private clinic can do some other diagnosis as I have noticed they so NK cell testing. I fear that without a diagnosis we will be stuck in the same positions.

What stage of your IVF treatment are you at?

Also Ainiya if you haven't come on your period you could still be in with a shot. It can take 14 days past ovulation for a BFP so as Galinda says, maybe try again in a couple of days x

naty1 Sun 04-Jan-15 12:07:11

We had pcos (and later hypothyroidism) but mainly severe male factor.
We have done 4 icsi
1 bfp - DD
2 bfn
3 cancelled low response
4 bfp
But each time no frosties and very low fertilisation rates

Dsis unexplained with hypothyroidism
1 bfp dn1
2 bfp dn2 and 2 frosties

So i guess it depends dsis more successful with her unexplained, whatever the issue is is fixed by icsi.
I think my worse result is due to low fertilisation - clinic triggers me really early due to OHSS risk.

As you say you cant know its not an implantation issue (noone can know for sure) but as some people already have stuff found to be wrong - if we had had that as well there would be like 4 issues.

Why did you only have 1 embryo?
Fertilisation
Drop off
Few eggs collected?

Age is also a relatively large factor.
Hopefully they can say increase your dose to get more eggs

Inaiya89 Sun 04-Jan-15 14:13:25

Thanks ladies. I will use a cheap test at 10 dpo which is tomorrow morning and use a FRER Tuesday morning which would make me 11 dpo. I will keep you ladies updated if interested. I hope it works this month. Otherwise I will be soo down

Shoegal30 Sun 04-Jan-15 23:08:47

I am 32 and as I said on the face of it everything looks ok except for when I had the AMH test before IVF which showed it at 13.9 instead of 15 which is average and the docs said this was slightly low but nothing to worry about as the meds would be tweaked to compensate.

I was on Menopur and started on 3 vials (225). The scans were showing that the follicles were growing slowly so I was upped to 4/5 vials. On the last day I took 6 vials.

At EC10 eggs were collected but seeing as the last scan only showed 2 mature follicles I knew that the eggs wouldn't be mature. At fertilization only 3 had fertilised and at ET none were suitable for freezing. The one that was transferred was described as very good - 8 cell 3/3 was transferred on day 3.

Thanks for sharing yours and your DSIS experience, it shows how there isn't necessarily a pattern at ivf success.

naty1 Mon 05-Jan-15 15:12:53

It certainly looks like having a higher dose from the start could get more mature ones hopefully. (Though it does seem to vary from person to person how well the eggs grow at same rate)

GalindawithaGa Mon 05-Jan-15 18:38:31

I'm 30, DH 31 and we are about to start our first cycle of short protocol ICSI with my next period. I've never ever wanted my period to start so much! blush

We were unexplained for more than 3 years, DHs SA was a mixed bag but nothing suggesting it was fatal. Then at our long consent appointment the embryologists looked at his SA and lo and behold we have 95% antisperm antibodies. Very very unlikely we will ever conceive naturally. No reason for it, just incredibly bad luck. To be honest although it was a shock, it was a relief as well to have a diagnosis and to know that it wasn't going to work naturally. It gave us something to focus on.

Now we are just waiting for my next cycle to start, we have spent years and years just waiting and I feel like I'm on the precipice of something massive. Good or bad I'm not sure yet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now