Talk

Advanced search

So fed up

(15 Posts)
butterflycats Sun 21-Dec-14 12:08:46

I came off the pill in may and not had a proper period since. Went to see my GP... My progesterone levels have been 1.3 and 4.3, (done at the right time) so I'm not ovulating.... My GP just said "why don't you get a puppy!"

I'm in a complete rut now, so fed up, all my friends are posting new baby photos/scan photos, making comments like "is this not making you broody?" when we've gone round to see them. Just wish my GP would refer me (rather than telling me to get a puppy!) so I could have some clomid!

Sorry for ranting, just feel so alone x

IKYTWTLYA Sun 21-Dec-14 12:15:17

I know talking about fertility is taboo (like mental health issues and politics) but if your friends are making insensitive comments why don't you mention that it's not for want of trying.

They're not psychic. They don't know you're having a hard time. If you tell them, and if they're good friends, they'll be more sensitive and will be there to support you as best they can.

And go back to the GP and ask to be referred. If they refuse, ask why. It might be good to arm yourself with the current NHS guidelines so you can have an informed discussion (I don't know what they are, someone here will be able to let you know I'm sure).

Good luck.

Rumplestrumpet Mon 22-Dec-14 08:32:41

Sorry to hear that Butterfly , it is a tough time of year for those of us TTC. I certainly agree that you should push for a referral - sadly for those of us with fertility problems we have to get used to being pushy and demanding, or else years will pass with no progress. Your GP sounds utterly crap (a puppy? I mean, seriously?!) who probably isn't aware of NICE guidelines, so read up on what you're entitled to and demand a referral. It will take time so there's no point delaying.

And, to reassure you, I was in a similar position a while back - I started TTC in the May, and by Christmas was desperate and gutted when hormone tests came back showing ovulating problems. In my case, it turned out the tests were just taken at a bad time and my cycles were actually fine. Nonetheless we pushed on with more docs and eventually ended up going through ICSI. Today I'm rubbing my tummy, 11 weeks pregnant. The whole way through I just had to keep reminding myself that we'll get there, one way or another.

So don't give up hope, it's still early days and there's every reason to remain positive. And in the meantime enjoy all the things you won't be able to enjoy once you get pregnant!

Best of luck

bishboschone Mon 22-Dec-14 08:34:19

Push for the clomid. My new neighbours have 3 kids .. 2 with clomid and one surprise . Good luck x

Hedgehogsbuzz1 Mon 22-Dec-14 08:36:39

See a different GP. Mine prescribed clomid and then referred me on. There's lots they can do for you. And if that fails the private sector have other ways of helping you ovulate.

Hedgehogsbuzz1 Mon 22-Dec-14 08:38:09

Go see him again and directly ask him to refer you on and give you clomid. If he refuses, write a letter if complaint to the practice manager.

Inthedarkaboutfashion Mon 22-Dec-14 08:39:00

My region has a policy of not referring until you have been actively trying to conceive for at least a year. I have been trying for 4 years but I haven't asked for a referral yet but I will do so in the new year.

Rumplestrumpet Mon 22-Dec-14 12:16:02

Yes, inthedark it's often one year or even two before they'll refer you. But this is usually only for unexplained infertility. If the tests suggest that the OP is not ovulating at all, then that's good enough reason to go straight for referral.

butterflycats Tue 23-Dec-14 06:40:08

Thanks guys!
I'm actually a GP myself so know the referral criteria, and know my bloods were done at the right time! Sometimes I feel I can't push and be demanding because of my job if that makes sense! I'll go back after Christmas and see someone else.

To say I was angry about the puppy statement is a complete understatement!!! I just want some clomid!x

butterflycats Tue 23-Dec-14 06:40:44

Thanks for all your support though... Infertility can be a really lonely place

naty1 Tue 23-Dec-14 20:49:51

So by the right time i assume you mean 7 days before period.
(Several gps dont know when it should be done)
Get other blood tests done
Day 3 fsh/lh
And thyroid.
And sperm sample.
Just because/ even if you are not ovulating doesnt rule other other issues too.
Did you have irregular cycles before the pill as that seens to often be pcos.
Apparently the pill can affect thyroid and vitamin levels. B i think.
I cant believe they would say that but its similar to what we got - nhs cant afford to fund...
Which we ignored - luckily he did refer me for pcos (positive) and thyroid(negative at that point)
The next gp saw the prog results and incorrectly told me i was ovulating (doh!)
Is it not possible the periods will regulate? In theory it leaves system quickly but there are threads where people take a while to get back to normal.

NoveltySlippers Tue 23-Dec-14 23:45:37

Butterfly is the reason your GP won't prescribe because you're not over 35 and it's not been 12 months of TTC yet? Would she make a difference?

NoveltySlippers Tue 23-Dec-14 23:46:22

Would age not make a difference, sorry, not 'she'!

Essexgirlupnorth Tue 23-Dec-14 23:56:41

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was younger and still had to be TTC for a year before my GP would refer even with 60/90 day cycles.

naty1 Wed 24-Dec-14 09:02:34

I sort of agree people need to try for a while, ive seen threads with people with pcos and long who must ovulate as they do get pg.
But at 90 days thats like 4 instead of 12 tries, if you are away at the wrong time... Or dont catch the right time.
But if you had existing pcos i would hope a referral for metformin at least.
I suspect its easier to be referred for sperm issues, as maybe 2 samples a few months apart.
With ovulation its hard to prove ovulation either way as with long cycles you cant take the tests at the right time.
Bt if people are told to keep trying for the yr say they should be given the referral criteria website as how annoying to get to the time and find your bmi is too high, you havent been together long enough etc. when you could have chosen to go private, lose weight while waiting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now