Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about assisted conception

(8 Posts)
natureplantar101 Sat 29-Nov-14 18:15:18

Been TTC for over 1 yr now and have just had our appointment for tests we get the results next week im clueless about the next step though i know about Clomid and IVF nothing else though,what does Clomid do exactly and how is it taken ? im new to all this so would appreciate some helpful answers smile would also like to know about any other methods apart from those two please dont skip the gory details

victoria401 Sat 29-Nov-14 22:52:09

Hi there, what tests have you had done? I presume a day 21 to check ovulation? They will also check your hormone levels on day 2-5 and also thyroid and iron levels. Your oh will need to have at least one semen analysis (sa) too. Another test they will do further down the line is a HSG where they inject dye into your tubes to check for blockages and a "dildo can" internal and/or external ultrasound to check your womb and ovaries.

As for treatment, clomid is used to stimulate your ovaries if you are found not to be ovulating. Other treatment is they can do is iui (intrauterine insemination), which is what I am having. This is done if your oh's sperm is good and you are ovulating to try and put the sperm closer to the egg at the right time. In my area I get 3 goes NHS funded. Ivf is usually done if your tubes are blocked or other complications but the sperm is good. Ivf with icsi (intra cytoplasmic sperm injection) is done if there is a problem with the sperm sample.

I wouldn't worry too much about the treatments yet until you have a few tests done. Chances are things are just taking a little longer than some :-) Are you doing things to track your cycles and ovulation? Let me know if you need any more info, I've a feeling this is a bit garbled! Its quite late in the eve lol!

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 30-Nov-14 08:29:34

What tests have you had done to date?.

Both of you should be investigated in tandem when further investigated. It is no point in solely testing you initially only to discover some considerable time later that there are also male factor issues.

You need a diagnosis first and foremost. Regardless of how the results come back you should be referred to a consultant gynae at a subfertility unit.

natureplantar101 Sun 30-Nov-14 15:23:45

CD24 Blood test and SA for OH

natureplantar101 Sun 30-Nov-14 15:24:33

Get test results on 4th and Cd5 blood test on 9TH

natureplantar101 Sun 30-Nov-14 19:01:52

we are just wondering what the next steps are if the results come back bad

CakeInMyFace Tue 02-Dec-14 07:50:59

Hi OP we are going through tests for secondary infertility and just to say the results may not be bad as such. After the bloodwork I had and DH sperm analysis we still weren't pregnant despite normal results. Ww then were referred to the fertility clinic at the hospital and I had an internal scan and am booked for an HSG today.

My DH has another SA then will be following up with consultant in a few weeks for next steps. I hope that helps.

natureplantar101 Thu 04-Dec-14 17:17:59

im totally healthy and ovulating according to the doctor i dont believe that still but DPs SA results showed he has no sperm at all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now