Talk

Advanced search

IVF at 41 any success stories?

(15 Posts)
Pessimoptimistic Tue 18-Nov-14 13:50:09

Hi had ivf last April at 40 sadly ended in mc, 3 previous mcs one after iui. I would really like to give ivf one last shot before it's decimal fey too late. No underlining problems... just old age. Any success stories to share?

Danaust Tue 18-Nov-14 15:31:13

I'm very sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I know what it's like sad

Have you tried taking any supplements to improve egg quality such as CoQ10 for example?

From what I've read it's best to take for about 3 months prior to treatment. I'm taking it now in preparation for my next treatment..

Pessimoptimistic Tue 18-Nov-14 16:34:54

Yes done all the supplements for last number of years DHEA, Coq10,vit d, vit e, vit b. Have tried everything.

shroomboom Tue 18-Nov-14 17:42:03

A friend of mine is 42 and pregnant after her 4th round of IVF. Her first 3 rounds were at a different clinic where they did IVF, but this successful round was somewhere new & they did ICSI.
Would you consider changing clinics to see if you get a better outcome?
Good luck smile

naty1 Tue 18-Nov-14 20:32:55

Are they investigating the mcs?
Thyroid issues
Pcos?
Pgd?

Pessimoptimistic Tue 18-Nov-14 22:17:23

Yes all investigations done. Been on heparin and aspirin for last two pregnancies but still mcs. Most recent results in St Mary's advise 150mgs aspirin at positive pregnant. Just not happening so think should have one more go at ivf and then accept defeat

Guin1 Wed 19-Nov-14 12:58:47

I had my first cycle of IVF aged 39 (DH 35). We only had two good blastocysts but were very lucky that the first one put in stuck and is now DS age 2. We tried transferring the frosty earlier this year with me aged 41 but unfortunately not successful. Went for second round of egg collection just prior to 42nd birthday (DH nearly 38) and only got one good blastocyst but again have been very lucky and I am now 27 weeks preg with DD due in Feb.

So I would count myself as a success story, but can't say that I have done anything 'special' to earn it - just been very lucky. Possibly it helps that DH is relatively young? We had ICSI done both times, not because we needed it as such, but we wanted any embryos tested for genetic problems before transfer and apparently this is only possible if ICSI is used.

There is some evidence that acupuncture may help some women with IVF. I didn't use it, but you may like to research this further.

Pessimoptimistic Wed 19-Nov-14 20:20:12

Thanks for heartening story. I phoned the clinic and made an appointment and have decided to go ahead with another cycle in the new year. It is as much about feeling we have done everything possible and who knows 5th time lucky.

naty1 Wed 19-Nov-14 20:53:39

I was going to suggest again embryo testing like pgd.
I never had enough to bother with testing 2 each time but i think it might really help select the best one to go back 'fresh'
Also it would answer the question of whether its a genetic cause of miscarriage or implantation failure.
Which could be helpful if you move on to donor eggs/sperm etc

TraceyTrickster Thu 20-Nov-14 04:06:40

I was just 43 when I fell pregnant with my DD. My consultant did say I was one of his more elderly successes but in the 6 years since, he has had many more.

Good luck.

Bumpandlumpy Thu 20-Nov-14 04:34:03

I had DD at 39 ( 3rd lot of ICSI) then DS last year at 41 (frostie from the same crop as DD). Very best of luck, I know how tricky it is to go through it all but I was like you, had to feel I'd given it a go.

Roonerspism Thu 20-Nov-14 04:50:39

Sorry - no experience of IVF.

But have you heard about NK cells and link to m/c? A lot of clinics poo poo it but there are some consultants who test and great for it. I am sure someone far more knowledgeable can explain more but thought I would throw into the mix.

There is also an organisation called Foresight Preconception which prescribes various vitamins based on hair analysis. I think the science behind hair analysis is a bit dubious but they have very good results.

nobeer Thu 20-Nov-14 06:16:17

I had first cycle aged 40 which failed, and 2nd aged 41. Now 36 weeks pregnant! I had the pgd and only 1 frozen 5 day blasto transferred. I wish you every success in the new year flowers

gcerron Mon 24-Nov-14 21:35:11

I am 42, 1st time doing mild ivf, I had 5 follicles and 4 were collected and I got 4 eggs.
The embriologist said all of them fertilised, he explained that usually they wait until D5 when there are more embryos, so they wait more to select the best, however at this stage my embryos look really well and tomorrow they can reveal the number of cells in each one and there is a good chance that on Wed they are going ahead with the ET. Saying that I began with acupuncture in D6 of gonal-f, I had a second acupuncture session before the EC and my third one will be tomorrow!! Fingers crossed!! And lots of praying, there is still a long way ahead however I am trying to keep positive!! smile. I hope more girls of our age share their experience!!

Pessimoptimistic Tue 25-Nov-14 13:13:21

Gcerron best of luck with et. I really hope all goes well for you. It sounds very promising.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now