Talk

Advanced search

Something abnormal on 3D SIS scan and now have to have a hysteroscopy. Has anyone experienced this?

(8 Posts)
worriedmum100 Sun 02-Nov-14 12:30:21

Hello

Very quick back story. TTC DC2 since June 2012. Basic NHS tests revealed nothing wrong. Went private for fertility treatment. 1 x IUI which was successful but mc at 5 weeks. 2nd IUI - unsuccessful. More tests revealed a defective c section scar and endo. Had lap to remove endo. Fell pg straight away by then had a MMC. ERPC performed at 9 weeks but it was incomplete and I had to have another ERPC two weeks later. That was in August and no luck since. Back to the fertility clinic who suggested a 3D SIS scan because of the two ERPCs and potential scarring. Had that scan on Friday.

Something showed up. They couldn't tell me what it was. An "bright white" area down one side of my uterus. No explanation of what it could be. My only option (apparently) if a hysteroscopy and resection. I assume this means that if it is scar tissue they will remove it?

Has anyone else been through this? I'm at a very low point. Can't stop crying. It's just one thing after another. I'm 39 in January and feel like all hope is gone of DC2.

BatteryPoweredHen Sun 02-Nov-14 13:18:52

Hello,

So sorry that you are going through this.

I too had adhesions following ERPC and a subsequent operative hysteroscopy and division of adhesions.

Depending on the severity of the adhesions (if they find any) your surgeon will divide them and probably insert 2 x copper IUDs to keep the uterine walls apart to prevent any further scarring from appearing. They will be removed in about 6 week and you will then be able to TTC again.

My top tips would be

a) Make sure you have this under GA - you can have it under local, but I strongly advise against it.

b) The two 'top men' in this field are Mr Geoff Trew and Mr Adrian Lower. If at all possible, I suggest paaying to have one of these surgeons do the hysteroscopy.

Adhesions (also known as Ashermans Syndrome) is poorly understood and an inexperienced surgeon can very easily make things worse.

This is a useful resource.

BatteryPoweredHen Sun 02-Nov-14 13:20:20

...and of the two, I would go with Mr Lower, as he uses x ray guidance so you effectively get a HSG thrown in for free smile

worriedmum100 Sun 02-Nov-14 13:32:36

Thank you battery. Sorry you've been through this. Were you able to conceive afterwards? I'm tempted to try and get an appointment with Mr Lower but not sure how this would work with my fertility clinic? I'm booked in with them to have it done but I've also read that only experienced surgeons should tackle it. I thought I could say before the surgery that it if looks bad they aren't to touch it but then I'd just have to go through the whole thing all over again. I don't even know if it is Ashermans or if its something else. I'm so confused.

BatteryPoweredHen Sun 02-Nov-14 14:12:58

Hi Worried,

Honestly, I would just make the appointment with Mr Lower and tell the fertility clinic that this is what you want. He is very lovely and will probably be able to see you at short notice.

I'd be very wary about having any more hysteroscopies than is strictly necessary as they involve dilation of the cervix which, if done repeatedly, can affect your ability to carry a pregnancy to term.

To answer your question, no we haven't conceived yet, but we have also subsequently found that we have male factor issues too so are just starting our first cycle of IVF (Baseline scan tomorrow - eek!)

If it's not TMI, can I ask what your periods are like? My first indication that I did have adhesions was that my period became much lighter, shorter but also a lot more painful as the blood tried to escape in the usual fashion but was blocked by the adhesions. Do you have any symptoms like this?

worriedmum100 Sun 02-Nov-14 18:14:46

Hi

Since my ERPCs I've had two cycles that were shorter than usuAl but the third latest one was usual length and probably a bit heavier than normal but they do seem to stop rather abruptly.

When I had my laporoscopy to remove endo in April I'm sure he looked in my womb as well and said all was fine so whatever is showing on the 3d sis must be a recent thing. I've been pg twice this year so don't think my cervix is blocked and I know my tubes aren't after an HSG on the nhs.

I think I'm just bothered that they weren't even able to talk to me about what it might be. It was just, there's something there you need a hysteroscopy.

worriedmum100 Mon 03-Nov-14 17:30:56

Just to update. I contacted both Mr Lower and Mr Trew today. Mr Trew (well his secretary ) got back to me first so I have an appointment with him in a couple of weeks. Have cancelled the hysteroscopy at the clinic. I feel much better now. I just didn't want anyone touching me and doing even more damage. Thank you for the advice. X

BatteryPoweredHen Mon 03-Nov-14 18:00:46

Oh good - I hated to be telling you what to do, but I think this is absolutely the right answer.

Good luck, I hope you get the outcome you are hoping for x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now