Talk

Advanced search

A question for ivfers..

(33 Posts)
AutumnLeaves14 Sun 26-Oct-14 16:12:09

For those that took cyclogest pessaries after EC, how many per day and what amount did you take? Also, if you got your bfp, up to how many weeks did you stay on them??

I'm on 1 x 400 per day but I'm worried that its not enough

Thanks

puddeycat Sun 26-Oct-14 18:56:03

I had my ivf in april last year I did 1x400 in morning and 1x400 at night. Was on them until I was 16 weeks pregnant. My daughter was born in December. X

18yearsoftrying Sun 26-Oct-14 21:48:40

1 x 400 every 12 hrs for 12 wks.

DuelingFanjo Sun 26-Oct-14 21:51:13

Same here, twice a day. I stopped using them just after 12 weeks, it was scary but find.

eurochick Sun 26-Oct-14 21:53:53

Two a day 12 hours apart here too. Stopped at 12 weeks (I had some spares so I tapered for a week).

Batmam Mon 27-Oct-14 01:17:57

1st round - no Cyclogest BFN

2nd round - one a day BFN

3rd round (FET) - Morning and night for 12 weeks then one a day for a week and then a week of one every other day before stopping completely. I was really scared of coming off them incase that was all that was holding the pg there but it was fine and I had a healthy DD.

AutumnLeaves14 Mon 27-Oct-14 06:18:27

Thanks for your replies. They are really useful.

On Saturday (9dp3dt) I started spotting so I took a test and I could not believe it was positive, and quite a strong one too. Since then I have started taking 2 pessaries a day (didn't bother asking the clinic).
Yesterday (10dp3dt) was awful though with heavier bleeding and cramps overnight. Just done another test now though and it's still a strong positive so fingers crossed the bean is clinging on.
My clinic only advocate 1 cyclogest per day (2 for FET) and only for 2 weeks after bfp so your information will help me argue my corner on OTD ( Friday). I cannot find any NICE guidance on progesterone after IVF which is annoying.

Ilikesweetpeas Mon 27-Oct-14 06:30:33

I can't recall what my protocol was but wanted to say that I really hope things work out for you. I know from experience how stressful this time is. Hoping things work out well for you, and that in 9 months you're posting about a sleepless newborn!

AutumnLeaves14 Mon 27-Oct-14 07:00:12

Thank you sweetpeas, me too but I am just not sure which way this will go. It is such a stressful time. I was doing okay as well as I expected a negative so I could not believe that it actually worked. After 2.5 years, it's the first positive test I've seen.

inconceivableme Mon 27-Oct-14 12:20:25

Fresh cycle - think I took 2 a day until 8 weeks. BFP and live birth. Clinic would have stopped cyclones after 1st scan (6/7 weeks) but I was nervous so asked for more.

Just got a BFP today. FET this time and will be on 2 a day until 16 week's I believe.

AutumnLeaves14 Mon 27-Oct-14 17:24:38

Congrats on your bfp inconceivable

inconceivableme Mon 27-Oct-14 19:49:51

Thank you Autumn! And to you!

raydown Mon 27-Oct-14 19:59:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

raydown Mon 27-Oct-14 20:00:47

Whoops sorry, I wrote on the wrong thread.

farfallarocks Tue 28-Oct-14 15:14:43

Congrats Autumn

I had spotting and cramps with DD and the doc advised doubling the progesterone which I did, 2x a time and she has just turned 2. So as hard as it is, it could just be the embryo implanting and getting snug.

I was convinced I was having another MC (I was on progesterone for MC rather than IVF). We are now embarking on IVF for #2 and our clinic does progesterone x2 a day until 16 weeks when the placenta takes over.

Can you have some beta HCGs done 48 hours apart? That really helped me as despite heavy bleeding the numbers were doubling nicely.

MewlingQuim Tue 28-Oct-14 15:22:40

shock

When I had IVF I was only given cyclogest for 2 weeks!

Got BFP and DD from my first ICSI, but every cycle I had after DD's birth failed. 2 out of 3 cycles were BFP but didn't stick, wonder what would have happened if I had kept on with the pessaries for longer sad

AutumnLeaves14 Tue 28-Oct-14 17:26:52

far so you were on 2 x morning and 2 x night? I would love the beta test and progesterone test but my clinic told me to wait until OTD on Friday (15 dp3dt) where they will do it. My nurse did not think it was a progesterone problem though. Other than going to EPU or GP not a lot I can do.

I'm not holding out any hope though as I've been in a lot of pain and heavy bleeding Sunday, yesterday and today. My FRERs are still coming back positive though and the same strength line. Just done a clearblue one now and it said 2-3 weeks. I guess only time will tell.

AutumnLeaves14 Tue 28-Oct-14 17:38:23

mewling definitely something to ask about in more depth if you have another cycle. It's so frustrating that a cycle could fail for something's that is potentially resolvable. We only had one embryo make it to ET so this is all or nothing for us.

farfallarocks Wed 29-Oct-14 08:49:59

autumn sorry I was unclear, one in the morning and one at night but they were 400mg ones (cyclogest). All crossed for OTD results! 2-3 weeks is a good sign I think, its very nerve wracking and I am surprised they won't help you out given you have got a BFP and are bleeding! Could you try the EPU?

Mewling that is strange, my understanding is that IVF needs more progesterone support because the whole cycle has been taken over and managed.

Best of luck, thinking of you, I remember dreading going to the loo and making DH check the loo roll sad

Guin1 Thu 30-Oct-14 15:35:56

I am in Australia and currently preg with my second IVF baby (1st one just turned 2yo). Both were FETs, with my cycle stopped, so there was nothing in my body making its own progesterone. I don't know the name of the progesterone pessaries I was on, but I was taking 3 x 400 per day till about 12 weeks pregnant, then tapered off over 2 weeks. However, my clinic did say that other clinics gave their patients lower doses.

Autumn - best of luck for OTD. Some pain/bleeding is not uncommon with implantation, but I'm not sure about a lot of pain/bleeding. I don't want to worry you, but will just mention that my very first pregnancy (natural) was ectopic - I had BFPs with POAS (although not strong) and a lot of pain, but no bleeding. My GP didn't think there was anything wrong and I ended up having emergency surgery after my fallopian tube ruptured. No doubt your clinic will be better informed and consider this though.

AutumnLeaves14 Thu 30-Oct-14 17:38:17

In a normal ivf cycle apparently your body does produce some progesterone from the corpus luteum however sometimes some this can be removed in the egg collection process. In a FET I don't think any is produced at all. It's weird how varied the clinics are regarding its prescription.

Guin1 thanks for your message and congrats on your pregnancy. At least I know I can rule out ectopic because I have no tubes as these were removed due to hydrosalpinx which can have negative outcomes on ivf treatment.

far I know the feeling of dread of knicker checking - think My OH would not cope if he saw my tissues though!

I would be interested to know also how much monitoring clinics give to hormone levels throughout the cycle. I never had any blood tests during the cycle. On my next go I am definitely going to ask for this.

Still bleeding and still heavy however Less cramps and pain and not many clots (sorry TMI). Tests are still the same strength and still a 2-3 on digi today but I really have to expect the worst. It would be virtually impossible for this to have a happy ending I think. Beta HCG test tomorrow.

naty1 Thu 30-Oct-14 21:10:34

I was on 2*400mg for 15 days till test and had DD and this was with luteal phase defect
With bfn i bled 12dpo starting with spotting.
Ectopic, ivf babies can have more spotting (not sure about pain though), twins? Though i think you said 1 embryo.

Not sure about increasing the pessaries as your progesterone will then fluctuate as you see my clinic stops them at 15 days.

Fingers crossed

naty1 Thu 30-Oct-14 21:12:04

Also its strange as its a pretty cheap medicine, compared to the injectibles

naty1 Thu 30-Oct-14 21:28:36

Googling it is possible to have ectopic with no tubes if you have a stub where the tube was. Though it is probably unlikely.

AutumnLeaves14 Fri 31-Oct-14 05:46:36

naty1 thanks for your message. Wow I didn't know that about the stump thing. Luckily my pain was all cramping although I have had the odd twinge in that area which made me wonder. Pain is much less now though and I guess it would increase with ectopic.
That's interesting that you still had your DD with a luteal phase deficit and after stopping pessaries after 15 days. There must be so many different factors going on to make the bfp stick I guess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now