Talk

Advanced search

First appointment next week

(8 Posts)
Longleggedlovely Thu 23-Oct-14 21:48:46

After 3 years of TTC I went to the doctors with a virus last Jan, dr asked if I could be pregnant and cue lots of tears when our whole sorry tale came out. Anyhow, the lovely doctor referred us to the hosp for initial tests, we were then gutted to find out this was a nine month waiting list. However our time is up and first appointment is next week! Can anyone let us know what to expect?

Our letters don't give us much clues except the first one is for DH's sperm analysis and we have one two weeks later. Will this one be for his results or for tests for me. Feeling sick, nervous but excited!

Longleggedlovely Mon 27-Oct-14 18:06:02

Everyone must have started somewhere, no one?

PinkyAndTheBump Mon 27-Oct-14 18:09:40

We went through family medical history, typical cycle, how often we have sex and talked about health stuff like exercise, weight, diet, drugs & supplements and the had a shed load of tests and then came back and reviewed those and discussed options and then went for it.

Take a note book.

BadgerFace Mon 27-Oct-14 18:15:49

I think it probably differs for different clinics but for us DH had a sperm test first and then we had an appointment at which they said due to his results they'd recommend IVF. I can't quite remember as it was 3 years ago but I think they did some blood tests on me but never bothered with anything else. We had a great first cycle and DD is nearly 2! We're now thinking about IVF for number 2 and have a first appointment in a couple of weeks. I am sure I've forgotten lots about what actually happened!

Don't be nervous. Just think of it as the first step of the next part of your journey. smile

Let us know how you get on! I was on a great thread last time round for people doing cycles at the same time so definitely look for one if those. It was a brilliant support thread for me before.

Freedom40 Mon 27-Oct-14 18:16:52

hello there, i can only tell you what is happening on my end as I'm early days in the IVF thing too. I have gone private as NHS would not cover me. DH got his sperm analysis test results back after 1 week. He will have to go in a cup so he should be prepared to lose a little dignity. I just let me DH get on with it while I was at work so he had some privacy.

We then had appt with both of us where they gave me meds to take to cause a bleed to get rid of my lining. I had not had a cycle since coming of BC. I took tablets twice a day for 1 week then 4 days later had a proper AF. took clomid for 5 days then had my scan today where they checked to see if my ovaries were working and to try to find out how long my cycle is.

they did a AMH blood test for me on the first visit and i got the results in a week. they did a FSH and LH test on friday and will do a progesterone test in 2 week to see if I ovulated as it's £40 instead of £150 for another scan.

so after 3 weeks no closer to any treatment just lots of blood work. my advice would be to have patience and ask lots of questions so you know what to expect and when. I thought i'd be going to treatment quickly but this too takes time to get info and discuss options (i'm not there yet and its looking like it will be at least another month away).

good luck.

Essexgirlupnorth Mon 27-Oct-14 18:21:54

My first appointment I had an internal scan to check uterus, tubes and ovaries. Blood tests and a urine test for STD's. Hubby had blood tests and then arranged his sperm analysis. Got an appointment a few months later to discuss the results but was already pregnant.

Longleggedlovely Mon 27-Oct-14 22:52:44

Thanks all! It looks as though everywhere does things differently. Great tip to take a notebook.
Thank you x

MissMonkey Sat 08-Nov-14 09:37:06

Hi there hope I can help a little.
I was recently referred by my GP to the infertility clinic. Prior to our appointment I had to have day 21 bloods taken and my bh had to have his sperm analysed and these came back 'normal' so.... Off I went to my appointment.
At the appointment they spent 20 minutes taking all my details and then performed an internal examination (which I assume they didn't spot anything alarming). My gynaecologist then wanted three blood tests from me (1 taken on day 1,2 or 3 of my cycle and the other two taken 7 days before my period is due - which is day 24 for me). He also referred me for A hysterosalpingogram (HSG) (an X-ray test that looks at the inside of the uterus and fallopian tubes and the area around them. It often is done for women who are having a hard time becoming pregnant).
My next appointment is at the beginning of December (which gave me three months between appointments to make sure all the tests could be completed) so I'v had all my tests done and am just waiting for my next appointment and am a little nervous to hear the breakdown of my results. I seem to be anxious and upset thinking "what's wrong with me" and it is such a long process so don't feel like your alone and think positive (I know that's easier said than done), hopefully you'll soon have some answers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now