Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Clear blue fertility monitor

(18 Posts)
Seb101 Wed 26-Feb-14 14:45:32

I've been ttc forever!
Been using cheap ovulation sticks for months; never got a positive. Day 21 test shows I'm ovulating, but I'm obviously missing the surge or something.
Anyone used the clear blue fertility monitor? Is it any good? It's very expensive, but if it works I'm considering buying one.
Also on the off chance... If anyone has one they no long need and would like to sell, let me know. smile)

lil1ady Wed 26-Feb-14 15:25:40

Hi Seb

I used CBFM for the first month last month. I don't think it told me anything more than the OPK's to be honest. My last +ve OPK was the same day as my first Peak on the monitor and thats the day my app concluded I ovulated (and AF turned up today so I'm sure they were both spot on)

I'd say the CBFM is good, especially if you don't get on well with the OPKs or don't get the dark lines as easily, but honestly after one month I was fed up of having to poas every morning for 20 days. it was a relief to pee in the loo again once I ovulated! The monitor will always ask for at least 10 sticks, but I ovulated really late so had to do 20 last month. Hoping it will only need 10 this month!

Good luck!

Chattycat78 Wed 26-Feb-14 20:26:50

Hi seb,

I have a cbfm. Yes it is expensive and so are the sticks each month. I think it depends on how you get on with the cheaper OPKS. I don.t get on that we'll with the regular OPKS because i rarely get lines which I can read easily, i think it's because I drink too much liquid during the day and go to the loo too often! I think the monitor can be helpful in pinpointing your most fertile days as it identifies the estrogen surge as well as the LH surge, but I cannot tell you that it has yet worked for me. In fact, I had a miscarriage in October last year and The month I got pregnant I had not used the monitor!

lovelymumof4 Wed 26-Feb-14 20:37:53

When i conceived my Son 14 years ago i was using a device called Persona. They still sell it in Boots, it's about £60 i think. It's actually marketed as a contraceptive but i'm guessing it works in a very similar way to the CBFM. It came with the test sticks which you peed on and slotted into the machine. It then told you when your fertile days were and when you shouldn't make love. I think a red light flashed up on the days when you were highly fertile, which meant no sex without a condom!! Iv'e heard that many women use them to get pregnant! It certainly worked for me, i fell pregnant in the first month of using the thing!! I wasn't planning a baby at the time but he was a very happy accident!! You could try this piece of kit!

Seb101 Thu 27-Feb-14 08:26:49

Thanks, ill have a look at that; it's cheaper at least!

lovelymumof4 Thu 27-Feb-14 13:50:58

Yes do, i'm actually thinking of buying one again x

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 27-Feb-14 16:01:43

Seb

How long have you been ttc for?.

Have they investigated both of you thoroughly to date (for example this certainly does not just mean one blood test for you and one semen analysis for him)?. Have they in particular checked your man'sfertility properly?.

I would refrain from using the OPKs altogether; they are not always helpful and can cause stress to arise.

lil1ady Thu 27-Feb-14 17:22:59

I think the amount of stress using OPKs causes is a personal thing. For some people not knowing when you are ovulating is more stressful than OPKs. I think there are pro's and con's to CBFM for sure. it's certainly easier from the point of view its not open to user interpretation, but if you aren't getting positive OPKs I would be seeking tests from the Dr as attila says. And regardless of OPKs if "forever" is over a year OP I'd definitely go to the GP. Ours won't refer until we've been trying 2 years, but she did 2 SA's for DH and Day "21" bloods for me. We are waiting for second SA results after first one was bad, so if this one is bad we can be referred sooner.

lovelymumof4 Thu 27-Feb-14 17:24:42

Try the Persona

Seb101 Thu 27-Feb-14 18:22:50

Been trying for 14 months. Dh had one poor semen results, waiting for second test Results. My blood tests were ok, although day 21 borderline low.
Although its a pain, I do find it more stressful not knowing when I ovulate. I've found the cheap ones don't work for me. Like someone else said I think I drink and wee to much!!! So I never get a positive.

Lauren83 Thu 27-Feb-14 19:51:53

I got a second hand one for £50, check amazon and eBay, I think they are really good, I was ovulating later on that then I was on the cheap sticks, you really get to know your body and the signs so even using it for a few months helps as you can read your body better after,, and they say your luteal phase is always the same length, I have been trying 7 years and had no luck but my tubes are knackered amongst other things x

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 27-Feb-14 21:27:57

You should be referred to a gynae after 12 months of ttc without success.

Day 21 is only part of the story; you should have had a day 2 test done as well.

I would request the GP to refer you now if this has not already happened. Would not bother buying the fertility monitor at all in your particular circumstances.

Seb101 Thu 27-Feb-14 21:57:05

I had day 2 as well. Results were fine. Doctor won't refer me because a) I already have a child do don't qualify of any nhs fertility treatment. And
B) my BMI is over 30. I too fat to be treated on the NHS

So, I'm left to pretty much come up with a solution myself!

Lauren83 Thu 27-Feb-14 23:17:46

All CCGs are different with regards to length of time ttc, between 6 months and 2 years

Lauren83 Thu 27-Feb-14 23:18:37

See is your child with your current partner? My CCG fund if one of you does but not if you have one together x

Lauren83 Thu 27-Feb-14 23:24:22

*seb

Seb101 Fri 28-Feb-14 09:15:32

Yes my child is with my current partner. Goodness knows how she happened! Must be a miracle! Unless his sperm count has drastically fallen in the last 3 years. We conceived her second cycle!

lil1ady Sat 01-Mar-14 10:58:22

seb dh and I are trying a supplement called fertilaid to boost his swimmers after the bad results. seems to have good reviews. might be worth a go, as expensive as cbfm sticks but without the initial outlay for a monitor!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now