Talk

Advanced search

Newbie to Fertility & Mumset x

(14 Posts)
ringo65 Thu 09-May-13 21:04:58

Hello I am new to Mumsnet as of tonight.

For over a year my DH and I have been trying for a baby and after lots and lots of tests on the NHS nothing has been identified so have been referred to CARE Fertility Clinic.

Today I had my first vaginal scan and the lady said I had 3 follicles on one ovary and none on the other which might be too low to stimulate the ovaries (which I do not fully understand) and egg donor may need to be considered, I also had my blood tested so I need to wait for the results from that to deter what next.

I am guessing that egg donor was mentioned because of the timescale as I am 39 and this might not allow enough time to try for my own eggs if I do not have many follicles.

I do not fully understand all of it and am finding the information overwhelming.

If anybody can offer me any reassurance or advice I would be very grateful.

Thank you

MumOfTheMoos Thu 09-May-13 21:13:57

Didn't want to read and run!

Well, follicles are where the eggs are produced from, that much I I can tell you and the more, the better as they need you to produce more than the normal one egg for IVF.

But I don't know much more than that.

How would you feel about egg donation?

MumOfTheMoos Thu 09-May-13 21:18:51

Sorry, just re read you message.

So, in in IVF they harvest your eggs they like to get 5/6/7 eggs plus, as not all of them will b fertilised and not all of those will be viable.

So, they want to get you to produce much more than the one (or every now and then two) you would normally.

As I mentioned before, eggs are produced from the follicles and in order to make you produce more eggs they give you drugs.

Does that help?

ringo65 Thu 09-May-13 21:30:47

Yes thank you..Mummofthemoos for taking the time.

I had been told about the drugs to produce more eggs etc..but then when she said I had low follicles and they could be too low to stimulate so egg donor might what I have to look at.

I am a bit mixed about egg donor and need to research it a lot more and tonight I am feeling a bit emotional with it all.

DH has his test next week (first tests as hospital were fine)...we then get results and the advice on the best treatment at the end of the month.

Its so overwhelming all this information...but fingers crossed it will all be worth it.

Thank you again xxxx

lozster Thu 09-May-13 21:36:57

Well I had (if I recall) 3 follicles after stimming and I'm now 6 months pregnant at 41. It's not quantity but quality. Your time to use your own eggs is limited so if you did want to give it a go do it now or in a few months perhaps after taking dhea. Donor eggs are not time dependent so you have more time to think about it then act.

ringo65 Thu 09-May-13 21:40:58

thank you lozster that is reassuring.

Congratulations on your fantastic news x

Apologies for my ignorance what is dhea?

lozster Thu 09-May-13 22:03:55

Dhea is a drug that many consultants (not all but both of mine) believe enhances egg quality/quantity in older women. It is unlicensed but not illegal, in the uk so you need to order from the USA. It's relatively cheap and you need to take it for 3/6 months before ivf. You will find several threads on fertility friends about this. I can't say whether it was instrumental with me but with two consultants recommending it I decided to give it a go.

lozster Thu 09-May-13 22:05:51

.... Obviously get all your pre-tests first and speak to your consultant smile

fijamez Thu 09-May-13 22:14:46

ringo
Like Lozster I also only produced 3 follies after IVF on max dose drugs but got 2 eggs, 1 fertilised and my DS just turned 3 - I was 39.

Im guessing the bloods they took was to do an AMH which gives an estimate of ovarian reserve - this gives an indication of how you will respond to stimulation - mine was rubbish thats why i had my first cycle on max drugs but at least you dont waste valuable time and money on low dose cycles.

All you need is 1 good egg then its a level playing field with everyone else

good luck

lozster Fri 10-May-13 08:30:32

Ringo - where were you in your cycle when they counted the follicles? If at the start they were looking at antral follicles (early developing follicles) and this is sometimes interpreted as being an indication of ovarian reserve. Google a definition of antral follicles for yourself bug I think that these follicles won't all go on to develop. However, if even one does and produces a good quality egg, that's all you need.

Another way to estimate ovarian reserve is to take an AMH (anti mullerian hormone) test. This categorises your fertility level. Mine was just in the sub-fertile category, slightly above infertile. The nhs do not pay for this test but they will organise it for for between £50 to £90. It's maybe worth you knowing at this point too that combining private and nhs treatment in this way is perfectly possible subject to some rules.

If you have any more questions just let me know smile

ringo65 Fri 10-May-13 18:43:24

Thank you for all your comments.

Lozster I had to have the vaginal ultrascan between 4 & 9 days of my cycle, they did the scan on day 7.

I Googled antral follicles like you suggested, found some information that was very helpful; although at the bottom they had a table that said less than 4 is very low and will have a poor or no response to stimulating & maybe should not consider IVF sad

Your suggestion of AMH sounds interesting and I will make a note of this for when we go to get our results at the end of the month following them checking the blood.

It is comforting to know that you & fijamez were both low and older like me and you have had and success.

Really appreciate your comments

Andcake Fri 10-May-13 21:00:42

Just thought I'd chip in as although I did not go down the ivf route I got a low amh and low afc results but then after taking dhea and a few things like zinc and b complex to help with hormones and egg quality. I persuaded things naturally as I was getting pregnant annually but miscarrying. I finally got a sticky bean ( now 9 mo ds) at 40 after 3 years of trying. Also interesting to others is that my afc in those 3 years didn't change that much and stayed at around 4-5.
Good luck

ringo65 Fri 10-May-13 21:20:54

That's interesting Andcake...think I will be popping out to get some zinc!

xxx

Andcake Fri 10-May-13 21:32:49

Apparently zinc is good for sperm quality as well so get oh taking it as well. I thnk its best to take it with vit c - so a glass of juice in the morning :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now