SA results - is this ok?(8 Posts)
Sperm Concentration: 40-50 million/ml
Total Effective Count: 109 million
Normal morphology: 0%
High number of roundheads present, possibly due to sample viscosity.
They are a bit useless at our doctor's surgery and haven't explained anything to DH, just said 'its all ok'. I'm a bit concerned about the 0% morphology but had a google around and wondering if its ok if the other parameters are within normal limits?
We are meeting with the consultant for the 1st time at the end of next month due to me not ovulating, so we can get a professional opinion then but would appreciate a non-professional mn opinion in the meantime.
My dh had a similar analysis. Count slightly higher, motility a bit lower. Morphology of 2%.
The dr we saw told us this is a problem and we are now pursuing fertility treatment. There are really conflicting reports as to what affect the morphology has. It's a bit of a wild card. World health organisation say anything over 4% is normal. Some defects are more problematic than others.
Has he only had one test? It would definitely be worth repeating it as my understanding is sperm can vary quite a bit. They take three months to 'regenerate'.
No, he had another one before this but he was sent a letter to say there was a problem with the sample so he would need to do another one. DH thinks that this is because he put the first sample in the sample collection box in the hospital but didn't tell them in reception so it was probably waiting around for too long.
What fertility treatment are you pursuing?
I knew I would probably need Clomid because I can't ovulate naturally but I'm now worrying that we'll end up having to have something more invasive like IVF/ICSI if the consultant thinks the morphology is a problem. Haven't told DH I'm worried because when I mentioned the low morphology to him he looked like this .
I will suggest to him about having a 3rd SA done, I'm sure the consultant will ask for one anyway.
Most likely ifv with icsi.
I will say we already have a ds, conceived first month of trying. He is nearly four. I either assume dh had better sperm then or there is a chance of pregnancy with such results! The dr we saw said that pregnancy wasn't impossible with my dh's results, but much less likely.
He is currently taking quite a few vitamins to see if that helps but I'm not that hopeful. As far as I know all is ok with me and we have been trying for so long now, pinpointing ovulation each month, that I think it would have happened if it were going to.
Your dh has a good count and motility, even if the morphology only improved a tiny bit you'd be in with a shot.
that's what I'm worrying about - having to have ivf/icsi. I'm hoping we don't have to go that far. really good that everything's ok with you, at least it's fairly straightforward for you both in that sense.
I've been looking up the best vits for him to take and he's happy to take whatever might help so hopefully the next SA will show an improvement.
Just wanted to say thanks for replying. I was really panicking earlier and had no one irl to talk to about this. feeling much calmer and more positive about the whole thing now.
There is a vitamin called pycnogenol that us good for morphology. I've heard really good things about it and it worked for my dh. We got it from holland and barret. Good luck!
Dh is taking pycnogenol, wellman, fertility blend and a herb called macca.
We will have one last sa before starting treatment, I was hoping it might improve enough for iui which would be less invasive.
I'll let you know how we get on! We should have been having our appointment yesterday but dh got called away to a family emergency so we have had to rearrange.
Happilymarried how much improvement did it make if you don't mind me asking? Dh has stopped drinking and got on a fitness kick - eating better. However he is hugely hugely stressed at work and that is what I think is part of the problem. It's the only thing really that's changed since we had ds. His job just wasn't as stressful back then. Now he works about 70 hours a week, travels a lot and is under a lot of pressure because redundancies are being made at his company so he feels he has to get the figures (sales).
It went up from 1% to 3% which with his count shouldn't be a problem so that was a relief. About to start our first round of iui, so fingers crossed!
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.