Talk

Advanced search

What happens after clomid

(10 Posts)
aaLaa Fri 03-May-13 12:57:21

I'm on cycle 5 of clomid, gradually stepped up from 50g, 100g and last cycle has been 150g. I'm going for bloods to see if I ovulated on tues.

I have been charting my temp and using opk's which would suggest I haven't ovulated. If this is the case I'm not sure if the doctor will let me do a 6th round.

I'm on a waiting list for a tube scan but in just thinking of what happens after here?? Is it straight to IVF??

I would love to be more optimistic for this month but its difficult

Your advice and shared experiences are appreciated,

X

Leopardspots Fri 03-May-13 18:11:16

Hi, I was going to ask the same question!

I'm on cycle 5 of 50g and have ovulated each month and had the trigger shot the last two months but no bfp. Been for my scan today (day 18 - usually ovulate day 19) and no follicle sad it's actually heart breaking.

So yes, I'm not sure on the next steps, I have an appointment with my consultant mid june so will hopefully know more then. Just wanted to post so you know you're not on your own flowers

aaLaa Fri 03-May-13 18:42:40

Thanks Leo, it's so frustrating, I try to keep positive but as the months go by it really makes it hard.

Are you NHS or private?? Are they going to up your dose for the next month??

I'm NHS but I think if there is a long wait for the next treatment then I would consider paying, I have no idea what the costs involved are.

Leopardspots Fri 03-May-13 18:53:54

It is so tough isn't it, month after month of heartbreak. I'm NHS too, not sure we could afford to go private to be honest but the wait may be too much sad

I'm going for another scan Tuesday to see what's happened but it'll be too late in my cycle. Nurse said they'll then do day 28 bloods to see levels and possibly increase my last dose. She said they only give 6 cycles but no other info!

I had a hycosy before clomid and that was clear so really not sure on the next steps at all.

Have you got an appointment with your consultant? Have they not been scanning you? To be honest my trust has been brilliant, 3 scans a month for past 3 months, shame no success yet, feel like I let everyone down.

Wishing you luck

lozster Fri 03-May-13 20:45:33

AaLaa / have you been put on clomid without having an hsg to check your tubes are clear? If I understand you correctly and you haven't then that is ridiculous first as your tubes could be blocked so even if you did ovulate fertilisation wouldn't be possible, second you can only have a limited number of clomid rounds in a lifetime so you don't want to waste them.

Next step post clomid for most people is ivf. Many people on here have very positive accounts of clomid however, I believe it is sometimes used in appropriately on the nhs as a holding position pre ivf. Your hospital has an obligation to 'treat' you within a set period - clomid classes as a treatment and it is quick and cheap for the clinic. This may not be the case for you of course. You are at least being monitored which is more than I was on 9 rounds of the stuff.

One thing you could do is ask for an AMH test - this gives you an indication of what your ovarian reserve is and how likely you are to conceive. This is a private test however most nhs clinics will donir for you and bill you - I paid £85 the first time and £50 the second.

I think when I was in your position, I was quite diffident about challenging my treatment plan. I don't think I even saw the consultant before bring prescribed clomid. I got a lot of guidance from people on mumsnet and eventually I complained to the PALS and was seen by the consultant within two weeks and had ivf 7 months later.

aaLaa Fri 03-May-13 23:05:53

Lozster, thanks for your reply,

Yes you have understood me correctly, I have not had a scan to check my tubes, I was just given clomid, I haven't seen a consultant, obly nurses. They are all really lovely but don't give me much information.

I think I will go with more questions on Tuesday, ( although I said I was going to ask more last time, everyone always seems in such a rush that j never get round to ask anything)

What stage of your journey are you at lozster??

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 04-May-13 08:00:51

aaLaa,

What I was going to ask you initially is whether you actually have a diagnosis of the underlying problem?. Also has your man been tested thoroughly or at least in tandem with your own tests being done?.

Clomid is often prescribed to women with ovulatory problems and unfortunately it does not work for everybody; clomid resistance is certainly not unknown (particularly with PCOS). BTW also, OPKs are not worth using at all whilst on clomid as these kits can just pick up the increased hormone levels made partly by taking this drug treatment. Are they not doing internal ultrasound scans to check that an egg is actually leaving the ovary?.

Jumping from clomid to IVF straight afterwards is not always automatically done these days (this is why I ask if you'd had a diagnosis to date. For instance with PCOS IVF is not recommended for such women until all other treatment avenues have been tried because ovarian hyperstimulation is a real possibility).

I would certainly go in with a list of questions next week and ask them some tough questions re treatment decisions. If at all possible your man should attend with you as he can provide moral support and ask questions.

It is all too easy to be fobbed off.

Happilymarried155 Sat 04-May-13 09:11:58

I think that you will probably be given more tests and then they will decide which route is appropriate, they may offer you three rounds of iui before Ivf. It depends on a variety of things including your age and things can vary from different counties too, good luck! smile

aaLaa Sat 04-May-13 11:00:56

I came off the pill in October 2011, and AF didn't arrive until induced by using provera 1 year later.
then I had 50g clomid - scanned=good result, bloods showed I ovulated.
50g again, no scan, AF arrived
50g again, no scan, no AF, back to clinic for scan then injection, AF arrived
100g, scan, no follicle, bloods, no ovulation, no AF!!! So back on provera
150g, told NICE guidelines have changed so no scan and going for bloods in Tuesday!

My husband had a sperm check initially which we were told was 'normal' no further info

When I have been scanned I think they talk about cysts but I have never had a diagnosis if PCOS,

I am 27, otherwise fit and healthy, apart from low blood pressure which makes me blackout infrequently!!

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 04-May-13 16:05:32

aaLaa

I think you'e been fobbed off.

Its possible that you have PCOS particularly if they have mentioned cysts on the ovaries (these are not cysts in the usual sense, these are multiple cystic follicles on the ovaries).

One semen analysis is in no way conclusive of there not being any male factor issues at all.

You should also have been monitored each month whilst you were on clomid, no monitoring at all is completely unacceptable as you then are not aware if it is doing the job its supposed to be doing (clomid's main job is to make the ovaries work harder).

You need a diagnosis first and foremost and I would now seek a second opinion from a more informed hospital unit. It is fair to say that in the NHS at least, some units are far better than others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now