Advanced search

Eligible for NHS treatment if this is second baby?

(11 Posts)
SummerGrace Tue 05-Mar-13 21:04:43

Thanks Rubyroo,

Yes I got signed off 6 months ago and have been trying ever since. We've gone from getting 'pregnant' 3 times in a year to not getting pregnant at all in 6 months (1 yr) since the molar. My gp started off being quite supportive but i think because the blood tests she ran came back clear she doesnt think there's anything more she can do - she basically said it was probably age related and was very adament that we are not eligible for any kind of 'fertility' advice.( It may be age related, but it would be good to know that there aren't other possible reasons that may be tractable. The other changes I've experienced with my period suggest to me that there's something going on but I think this is why the gp has written me of as hysterical.) How you distinguish between reproductive health and fertility advice I don't know. But she was emphatic about it. I think the miscarriage clinic is separate to the fertility unit although my specialist also specialises in sub-fertility which was why I did try to contact her directly. I think you're right, it might be worth trying to contact the specialist again, and find another gp. I may even contact the nhs directly to see what guidance they can provide.

Thanks for your message. I really appreciate yr response smile


RubyrooUK Mon 04-Mar-13 22:35:14

Ah sorry, Queenebay, misunderstood your point.

Although in my case, I would consider Clomid treatment rather than investigations - was quite surprised the hospital would offer anything at all.

queenebay Mon 04-Mar-13 22:16:34

I know I said treatment not investigations.

RubyrooUK Mon 04-Mar-13 22:01:42

Queenebay, at my hospital, you do get fertility investigations with a living child. You don't quality for IUI/IVF.

But I had many blood tests, scans and was offered an HSG when I was trying to conceive a second child. They would also prescribe Clomid if appropriate, but any further and that would require private treatment.

I am quite aware this may not be the same everywhere though. It's just my experience.

queenebay Mon 04-Mar-13 21:53:24

You get no fertility treatment if you have a living child

RubyrooUK Mon 04-Mar-13 21:49:07

Hello Summer,

First, is there any chance of changing your GP? I wouldn't think a doctor should ever think someone with a history of molar pregnancies or miscarriage was hysterical. At the very least, a GP should be supportive and offer advice on how you should proceed. Do you think your GP is supportive? (Even if they can't help themselves for whatever reason.)

Also, when you say the miscarriage clinic, is that the same as the fertility unit at your local hospital? Or something different? (My GP referred me to the fertility unit at the hospital near where I live.)

I don't know too much about molar pregnancies, apologies, but I understand that you have to avoid getting pregnant until a hospital signs you off? Has this just occurred for you? My friend had one and it was seen as dangerous for her to try and conceive again until the hospital had given her the all-clear, so I imagine this also causes a delay.

Sorry for more questions - just trying to understand your situation better.

SummerGrace Mon 04-Mar-13 21:30:38

Hi Rubyroo,

I wanted to follow up with you on your last posting. I would like some fertility advice from a specialist but my doctor has told me I don't qualify for any kind of advice because I already have a child. We have been trying for 2 years now, 2 miscarriages and a molar pregnancy later, with strange things happening to my cycle...the miscarriage clinic ran some tests in feb last year and found nothing wrong but then when they realised id had a molar refused to discuss anything further with me - until id been cleared by charing x. Since being cleared I haven't had a chance to talk to the miscarriage folk, and my old specialist has not been returning my messages. Over the last year my dr has also run a couple of hormone tests and I've had a scan, and found nothing wrong. I'm concerned she's written me off because I'm nearly 40, and I think she thinks I'm a hysterical female. When I last saw her and asked to be referred to a specialist she told me flatly i don't qualify for any kind of advice, which I find very difficult to believe. Even if I wasn't trying to get pregnant I would be concerned about the things that have been happening...I know the NiCe guidelines on infertility treatment have just changed, and there is no mention in them of not being eligible if u already have one child....

I'd really like to find an expert who will sit down with me and go through my history - without having to pay a fortune for it...any advice gladly received.


RubyrooUK Mon 18-Feb-13 21:30:20


The rules differ slightly in different places so there is no exact rule for everyone.

However, the NHS Choices website (under "infertility") says that:

"If your GP refers you to a specialist for further tests, the NHS will pay for this. All patients have the right to be referred to an NHS clinic for the initial investigation."

So this means your GP should refer you to the fertility clinic where you will have all kinds of tests and some types of treatment may be on offer. Even if IVF is not on offer - except privately - this referral will help keep costs down. And it may be that the fertility specialists recommend other steps for you before IVF.

So don't feel too down about it. You can certainly have tests on the NHS to establish what kind of treatment would help, regardless of whether you have children already.

Good luck.

suzanne34 Mon 18-Feb-13 18:04:54

hi there .iam 34 i have 1 daughter age 14. after having her i tryed for 12 years to concive with no sucses then i feel prgenant 2 years ago and it was eptopic sadi had to have my tube removed and the other one becase of a cist . i have a doctors appiment nxt week to see if i awill be able to have ivf on the nhs even tho i have a daughter .so to here you say you are not intilted to ivf when you have a child at home is very upsetting to here sad . sharond101 have you found out anymore?

RubyrooUK Tue 05-Feb-13 22:25:21

This slightly varies from region to region.

But my hospital (in London) will do fertility tests for you if you have an existing child. They will also prescribe drugs like Clomid. They will not do IUI or IVF as free cycles are reserved only for those without any children.

sharond101 Tue 05-Feb-13 22:20:33

I have a son conceived through IUI I received on NHS funding. I have just read here,, that since I have a child at home I am not eligible for further funding? Or does this count for IVF ony? Iam in Scotland.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: