Advanced search

Fertility tests: where/how/when/how/£££, etc?

(6 Posts)
Pocket1 Fri 18-Jan-13 08:12:48


You'll need a blood test to check your amh (egg reserve) and an internal scan to check out your bits (no worse than a smear). DP will need a semen analyses. This lot cost us about £200-300 from memory.

Then when you know what's what you can look at our options. You may need no treatment at all. But either way its good to have things checked out ASAP.

I think you may need to go privately give your age (sorry) and you already have a child.

Please contact dr Venkat at Harley street fertility

She is completely amazing - knows what she's doing and really cares. I'm currently 16 weeks pregnant at 45 (with donor eggs) all because of her.

Also check out argc - I've heard many ladies speak positively of here.

Good luck

fertilityagogo Mon 14-Jan-13 20:34:20

Thanks highlove and BranchingOut. Am just on Mr Lieberman's website and will contact him.
I agree that I am unlikely to be covered for much on the NHS, considering I'm not technically 'infertile' (as far as I know!) and already have children. My GP is unlikely to bend over backwards to help me.
Just hoping it doesn't cost too much...?

highlove Mon 14-Jan-13 20:31:22

Google Gidon Lieberman. He pioneered a fertility MOT which sounds like it's what your after. I saw him for other reasons in the NHS but wluld recommend - he's lovely.

Given you already have children and this is in any event speculative and you haven't actually been trying, you are very unlikely to get more than the most basic blood tests on the NHS. And an unsympathetic GP might not even do them, TBH.

BranchingOut Mon 14-Jan-13 20:20:46

I don't know much about this, but am fairly sure that this is not covered under the NHS.

There is something called Fertell, which I think you can do at home.

I had a small procedure done with a consultant Mr Gidon Liebermann in London and later saw him featured in a magazine as a gynae who was interested in fertility testing. He was very nice and seemed good, although the thing I had done was teeny tiny.

fertilityagogo Mon 14-Jan-13 20:17:17

shameless bump

fertilityagogo Mon 14-Jan-13 15:43:15

Hi there, wondering if someone is willing to help/share experiences.

I have 2 DC's already, conceived naturally in my early and mid-30's.

However, I am approaching 40 and would like to have a 'fertility test' as we are considering expanding our family but would like to wait another year or two if possible for financial reasons.

I would like to see a doctor/specialist to have some tests done to establish my reproductive 'age'/condition as I feel it might help us with this big decision.

Questions are:

1. Is this possible? If so, what exactly is involved? Blood tests? Physical exam/ultrasound?
2. If it's possible, is it covered on the NHS?
3. If not covered on the NHS, can anyone recommend a good private clinic in London?
4. Is anyone else in the same position?

Many thanks ladies,

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: