Talk

Advanced search

HSG - my positive experience

(7 Posts)
hunaroo Thu 26-Jul-12 22:06:37

Lovely ladies, I thought as a grade A anxious wimp I'd tell my side of the story after reading so many horror stories on the net about the dreaded unknown that is the HSG.
OK, I've had 2 x laparoscopy's, have severe endo and had 3 miscarriages (1 requiring an operation) so all the tests under the sun along with this but the prospect of a HSG petrified me to the point of getting some valium from my GP.
This is the score: you wear a gown, you go in, lay down, the nurses are friendly , distracting and put you at ease. they use the same equipment as a smear to open you up, the catheter is put in to make a watertight seal, i didn't even feel this bit despite her trying three times as my cervix was hiding that day, next the dye went in. unusual is how i'd describe the feeling. not pain! not the excruciating roll around the table experience i was expecting but almost like a hot glow in the womb which the nurse called cramping, i disagree, it happened three times and then it was done. the feeling takes you by surprise more than anything as it's a strange feeling but really not a sharp hurting one.
it's never fun getting your foo-foo out in front of anyone, nor putting stuff up your backside but i have to say for those who have read the bad stuff, this shows that it's not all bad. remember, i am a grade A wimp! i'm writing this to help people like me.....

honeytea Sat 28-Jul-12 13:43:15

I had exactly the same experience. No pain, no problems, a smear is worse.

Also I got pregnant on the 2nd cycle after my HSG, just before I was about to start IVF. My tubes were open but I think the HSG did improve my fertility.

SingingInTheRain1 Tue 07-Aug-12 11:58:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

soontobeburns Thu 09-Aug-12 00:34:09

Thanks girls :-)

just so everyone knows im new here. Im 22 and been TTC for 2 years 4 months!!

Im having an HSG in 2 weeks and thats been a great relief to hear so thank you :-)

pearlcrystal Tue 28-Aug-12 19:22:11

Realize that this is an older thread but just wanted to second everyone's experiences on here. Had my HSG last May and was petrified as I'm a general wimp and read lots of horror stories. I took some paracetamol before the procedure ( but wasn't given any antibiotics) the procedure was fine - less painful for me than a smear test. I actually could not feel the dye going in, although I could see it zipping through the tubes on the screen. It all took 10 minutes and all the staff were so lovey and experienced. I went straight to work afterwards and had no problems bar a tiny bit of cramping (like light period cramping) later in the day which was quickly sorted by another paracetamol. No infection or other issues Like many things in my life this was something I just did not need to worry about.

JRsandCoffee Sun 02-Sep-12 15:55:53

Will add another positive. I'd read a few horror stories before mine and was a bit worried however it was all fine and not a problem at all. I drove myself there and back (1hr each way) and went straight on to work afterwards. Hope that adds to the help for any worried persons!

rainbowbreeze Fri 28-Sep-12 15:16:53

I had mine last week, slightly different experience - when they got the tube where it needed to be I had cramps like v bad period pains until the tube got removed.. So I would recommend taking a paracetamol before the procedure as I was absolutely fine afterwards apart from a bit of bleeding. I had to use deep breaths to try and control the pain..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now