Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know anything at all about progesterone support in early pregnancy?

(3 Posts)
ColdSancerre Wed 19-Oct-11 21:09:48

We've been told that we'll need this as I have a problem with my womb (a septate/divide which has successfully been removed hysteroscopically).

When do you start taking it and what does it actually do? We have had 3 early miscarriages (all less than weeks).

galwaygal Fri 21-Oct-11 16:53:26

You start taking it 3 days post ovulation ideally.

It helps keep the lining of the uterus thick, it won't prevent an inevitable miscarriage, but it does help in supporting one through the first 12 weeks until the placenta takes over.

For me as my lining was never an issue, it only prolonged time til miscarriage, but for some it helps a pregnancy make it.

Gigondas Fri 21-Oct-11 17:19:14

I started taking it a little later (about 5 weeks after had positive and had seen test). Have also had 3 early miscarriages before 6/7 week for which no cause found (possible blood thickening issue was never concluded ) so progesterone prescribed. Am now 26 weeks.

An unscientific word of warning - I had some bleeding on and off from 7-14 weeks (basically for most of time and short time after on progesterone) - I am not sure of its related but is only pregnancy had this in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now