Talk

Advanced search

Brother Roger stabbed to death at Taize

(35 Posts)
roisin Wed 17-Aug-05 18:53:18

I was shocked to hear this news today. I visited Taize several times as a student/teenager, and have read several of his books.

Gillian76 Wed 17-Aug-05 18:54:32

Never been but I love the music.

roisin Wed 17-Aug-05 20:36:10

bump

cod Wed 17-Aug-05 20:39:11

Message withdrawn

roisin Wed 17-Aug-05 20:42:13

LOL at you.
This is a sad thread you're supposed to be posting your condolences, not popping in to say "Hi"

PS Hi Cod

cod Wed 17-Aug-05 20:44:08

Message withdrawn

roisin Wed 17-Aug-05 20:47:25

Yes our computer died, and dh and I played a game of chicken as to who would crack first and admit to being unable to live without the internet! I won

Now really has no-one else heard of Brother Roger?

cod Wed 17-Aug-05 22:05:38

Message withdrawn

QueenOfQuotes Wed 17-Aug-05 22:07:40

- gosh how awful. I've heard of him, we have a Taize service every 5th Sunday (in those months that have 5 Sundays) and our Vicar, and lots of others that come to the Taize service have been there.

Lonelymum Wed 17-Aug-05 22:08:57

You what?????

I spent half my 20s at Taize - or so it seemed.

IS this for real??????????

roisin Wed 17-Aug-05 22:10:43

You and me both Lonelymum.

It happened during evening prayers. It's just unthinkable; absolutely horrific.

Lonelymum Wed 17-Aug-05 22:14:03

Well I am in tears now. I just can't believe it.

Lonelymum Wed 17-Aug-05 22:16:06

HELLO??? HELLO????

Are we the only people who know this guy? This is an absolute tragedy and the most shocking thing I have heard EVER!!!!!

Lonelymum Wed 17-Aug-05 22:20:04

About to be on BBC1 news now.

LeahE Wed 17-Aug-05 22:23:07

My mother called and told me. It seems so unthinkable.

Lonelymum Wed 17-Aug-05 22:36:31

Utterly meaningless killing.

QueenOfQuotes Wed 17-Aug-05 22:38:41

I don't know if anyone here would be able to/want to but buses from the UK to his funeral

Tommy Wed 17-Aug-05 22:44:38

I have been speechless with shock about this news since I got an email from Taize this afternoon.
I spent 18 months there from 1989-91 so Taize and Brother Roger have been a huge influence on my life. I've done a fair bit or crying too, Lonelymum. I can't believe that a man whose whole life was devoted to peace and reconciliation could be killed in such a violent way in the church that he built and opened up to so many young people. A good, holy, old man killed liek that while he was saying his prayers.
I am completely shell shocked and crying while I write this too.
He is at peace now, at least, but I can't imagine what the rest of them are going through - just so so sad.

Lonelymum Thu 18-Aug-05 10:17:36

QofQ, I wish I could take advantage of the coach offer you brought to my attention. If I had no children, I would have booked a place immediately.

Tommy, your post has started the flood gates for me too. If you spent so much time there (as I did too) I know you must feel the same way as me. Your words exactly echoed my thoughts lat night. The Church of Reconciliation will never seem like the same place to me again.

Poor Brother Roger, to have his life eneded like that, and those poor remaining brothers and the pilgrims there at the time, left with such brutal memories.

Feel very very sad today.

Tommy Thu 18-Aug-05 16:38:12

I mentioned to DH about the funeral and he kindly pointed out that I don't have a passport.....
I went out shopping lat night and when I came home DH was trying to find out how I could get one before Mondya evening. He siad if I went to the office in the morning on Monday I could get one and then go to the funeral in the evening.... sweet of him to work out how I could go but thinking about it now I realise that it is a bit impractical so I will say a prayer for him and light a candle on Tuesday.

Still shocked about it TBH, I keep looking at the different news sites - not quite believing that it could have happened.

Lonelymum Thu 18-Aug-05 16:49:08

Me too. That is nice of your dh to be so understanding. I nearly went into my church to light a candle for him but I had dd with me and didn't want her to ask questions.

Tommy, what is the Taize website/email address? I would like to record some sort of message if that is possible.

Tommy Thu 18-Aug-05 16:56:58

Taize

Here it but I didn't notice any message board or anything. I just emailed community@taize.fr - that will get to them.

I am hoping that something will be done locally for him - a requiem mass or other service - even if it was in London I would definitly go.

Tommy Thu 18-Aug-05 16:57:29

they have added a condolence bit now

Lonelymum Thu 18-Aug-05 17:02:51

That is great Tommy, and such a moving announcement. How good Christian folk can maintain such serenity in the face of such pointless violence is beyond me, but I honour them for it.

Lonelymum Thu 18-Aug-05 17:21:09

Oh Tommy, I have just been reading the whole website and they now do meeting for parents with children! (aged 0-14). I would really like to go back and take my children there, but how to persuade dh? I know your children are young still, but have you considered this? Know anyone who has done it? Do you suppose this is mainly peopled by those pilgrims who went as young adults back in the 80s and 90s?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now