Talk

Advanced search

Please please make sure your children are aware............

(14 Posts)
swiperfox Tue 16-Aug-05 21:45:41

...of the dangers of swimming in lakes and rivers. My 14 year old sister lost one of her best friends on Friday when he went for a swim in a lake. Halfway across he got so cold he couldn't feel or move his arms and legs. He was only 16. here

hunkermunker Tue 16-Aug-05 21:47:02

Hulababy Tue 16-Aug-05 21:48:55

fqueenzebra Tue 16-Aug-05 21:50:12

AS a teenager, my cousin was swimming in a gravel pit in Alaska ... very dangerous, one of her mates swimming with her drowned in the same sort of way.

Janh Tue 16-Aug-05 22:24:05

Under this thread can I please also mention the dangers of sand? There may already be a thread about the 3-yr-old who died on the beach when her hole collapsed - it happens somewhere every year - sand is seen as such a nice toy but it's deadly in quantity (if you just bury your legs on the beach you know how heavy it is).

fqueenzebra Tue 16-Aug-05 22:25:14

That story is so sad, Janh, even DH was shocked by it. I remember my kids finding a really deep hole to play in on Bournemouth beach 2 months ago... I never thought of the risk it might collapse on them.

MistressMary Tue 16-Aug-05 22:25:36

Mytwopenceworth Tue 16-Aug-05 22:29:10

Is the news article complaining about his friends? Mentioning grafiti a lot, are they saying something? - Bit off of them (news people I mean) Time and place and all that!

biglips Tue 16-Aug-05 22:52:59

swiperfox Wed 17-Aug-05 13:16:26

yes definately mention sand. I was saying to dpyesterday i would never imagine that a hole dug on the beach would collapse like that

MTPW - I was really surprised about the grafitti bit too - not the time or the place really

swiperfox Thu 18-Aug-05 18:35:23

I'm amazed at what my sister and all her friends have done......

here

Never seen anything like it

sparklymieow Thu 18-Aug-05 18:44:24

Swiperfox, I am sadden by this sudden lost of such a young life, but what the teenagers are doing is amazing, makes you think really, not all teenagers are bad....

swiperfox Thu 18-Aug-05 18:48:21

its mad isn't it? Makes you reliase they are just kids after all

swiperfox Fri 19-Aug-05 11:18:06

Bet they wouldn't be complaining so much if it had been their Son?

here

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: