Talk

Advanced search

What exactly is a controlled explosion?

(5 Posts)
Chandra Wed 03-Aug-05 01:01:37

Today York station was closed for a couple of hours after they found a "suspect package", a controlled explosion was carried on but I don't quiete understand (or maybe I don't want to...) does it mean it was really a bomb?

QueenOfQuotes Wed 03-Aug-05 01:04:12

No quite often they're just 'suspect' packages which are blown up under controlled conditions.

the vast majority of times it's not a bomb, they're just taking precautions.

Chandra Wed 03-Aug-05 01:08:53

I see, thanks

bobbybob Wed 03-Aug-05 04:01:27

A big boss in the company left his briefcase in a phone box off Bond Street in the early 90s. Was blown up as a controlled explosion - so probably not a bomb at all.

When I went for an antenatal check I saw a big sports bag in the car park, not near a car, nobody in sight - so I reported it to reception, carefully saying "unattended bag" so as not to upset anybody waiting - and the receptionist said "thank, I'll have a porter bring it inside". She proceeded to open it up to see if she could tell who it belonged to. I don't suppose it was likely that anyone would blow up a maternity ward in Christchurch, but then, who knows?

Chandra Wed 03-Aug-05 14:45:59

I was also wondering about luggage accidentally left in trains... does that means that from now on lost objects/forgotten lugagge offices in train stations are due to disapear? Hope this concvince DH to double check he has everything with him before jumping off the train...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now