Talk

Advanced search

Did anyone see the speech by the mother of one of the suicide bombers?

(25 Posts)
Twiglett Fri 22-Jul-05 11:11:54

I feel so sorry for that poor woman .. it was heart-rending .. imagine not knowing how to grieve for your own child because of the horrific act he has committed .. I thought in the snippet of her I saw that she was an amazingly dignified woman

Fio2 Fri 22-Jul-05 11:18:46

it must horrendous for them as they seemed completely ignorant to what was going on. Sucha sad situation for them, immensely complex and difficult

Twiglett Fri 22-Jul-05 11:23:15

This is part of what she said ..

“I am still in shock and know not how to grieve for my son.

Therefore, I grieve first for the victims, ones who are dead and ones who are alive. I grieve for the mothers and fathers, the individuals who are now possibly traumatised by the visions of death and horror. May Allah forgive our living and our dead and have mercy upon us all. Amen.”

Hulababy Fri 22-Jul-05 11:24:14

So difficult for their families, many (if not all?) had no idea what they were planning. How does a mum deal with that?

So it is not only innocent travellers these main have killed and spoiled lives of, but they have ruined their own families lives too.

dinosaur Fri 22-Jul-05 11:25:25

That's very moving, Twiglett. It has made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. Imagine trying to come to terms with the enormity of what her son has done, not to mention her own bereavement.

MarsLady Fri 22-Jul-05 11:25:58

Klara Fri 22-Jul-05 11:31:03

in all seriousness - if women ran the world and made the decisions, do you think there would be less violence?

SOmetimes I think yes - as no mother wants her children to come to harm, nor would she wish her worst enemy to lose the like of a child they loved either.....

useless speculation probably

Tinker Fri 22-Jul-05 11:36:08

Did everyone see/read the speech by teh mother of teh Nigerian guy who was killed on the bus? Incredibly moving, printed in full in teh Indie the other week.

dinosaur Fri 22-Jul-05 11:37:04

Yes, Tinker, that was very moving too.

marthamoo Fri 22-Jul-05 11:38:21

I read an article by the (female) cousin of one of the bombers in The Guardian last week. I found it very moving - she sounded just as bewildered as the rest of us.

Twiglett Fri 22-Jul-05 11:39:35

links??

marthamoo Fri 22-Jul-05 11:39:58

Oooh, I'll have a go - hang on.

marthamoo Fri 22-Jul-05 11:40:41

No, I won't. It's Tumbletots in 3/4s of an hour. I'll do it later (priorities, you know )

Tinker Fri 22-Jul-05 11:42:49

Have to pay for the Indie one now. grrr

dinosaur Fri 22-Jul-05 11:46:01

It's here, I hope

Tinker Fri 22-Jul-05 11:48:40

Oh, that's made me cry again reading taht.

Lua Fri 22-Jul-05 12:03:06

I should know better than get into this argument, but I think people are too quick to give people labels.
But just because one is scared of terrorism doesn't make them racists. I have no pre conceived opinion of any asian under most circunstances. However, if everybody is honest we all have expectations and concerns at different times... For example, I prefer to have female students than male. Is it fair? no! But statistically I have much better results from females than males. Also, an asian student twnd to be better than a white one in my experience. So, if two candidates have the exact same qualifications, I might be biased towards the asian one. I don't see this as rscism, I see as using cultural and sociological information to make a decision. How high a priority I give to this info? not very high, but it can be used if no other factor skewe my opinion.
Same resoning is used on my everyday life. If I can choose, I try to avoid crossing paths with young group of males using gang clothes. Am well aware that in most cases is just a fashion statement, but It makes me nervous and if I can avoid, I will. Racist? I don't think so - Chicken? yes!!

Lua Fri 22-Jul-05 12:04:04

oh gosh! Sorry this was supposed to go in another thread! Very sorry! [blush}
Her statement was heart wrenching!

TinyGang Fri 22-Jul-05 12:05:19

Please listen to Marie Fatayi-Williams here (scroll down to 8.32am) from this mornings Today(R4) programme.

I was getting dressed this morning, rushing about etc. What she said was dignified, strong and eloquent. It made me stop in my own personal trivial chaos, listen and cry. She is a remarkable person. Now that's a role model.

batters Fri 22-Jul-05 12:28:33

Twiglett it was a fantastic speech wasn't it? Thanks for reminding us of it.

Complete thread hijack - did you get my CAT last weekend re Tae Kwondo?

Twiglett Fri 22-Jul-05 12:29:51

oo batters yes I did .. how incredibly rude of me I am so sorry I didn't acknowledge it at the time .. will email now to explain why

and thank you so much

snafu Fri 22-Jul-05 12:34:00

Have just heard on the news that this morning arsonists tried to set fire to the home of Jermaine Lindsay's (sp?) family - one of the bombers. How those families are coping I have no idea

Nightynight Fri 22-Jul-05 12:40:18

madness

woollybaalamp Fri 22-Jul-05 12:44:57

Shehzad Tanweer's cousin

marthamoo Fri 22-Jul-05 15:52:41

Thanks jan, saved me a job there

Am I still allowed to call you Jan or do I have to call you woollybaasheepdoodah?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now