Talk

Advanced search

africa - sorry this might be a bit long

(46 Posts)
MamaMaiasaura Thu 14-Jul-05 00:38:20

I am sat here having just looked at bbc website in absolute tears. I dont even know where to begin.

I cannot believe the amount of children suffering in Africa and it seems that the world just looks on. There was a link to a story about excorcism of children and the reports had photgraphed a very obviously poorly 8 year old boy, witnessed him being abused and called authorities and then left him there.

Then another link to kids being shot in fights over water. Then another of kids starving, then there is rwanda..

This is so fucked up. I cant believe how many kids are being mistreated and nothing is being done.

Sorry for rant but completely at loss as to why this is happening and being reported on and sod all being done.

I am upset by London and upset by the awful stories in our papers like the toddler that was killed and the 10 year old girl murdered and the other girls raped.. it is all very terrible stuff. Then I ask why does it seem less 'news worthy' when there are kids gunned down in school uniforms and their parents be-headed?

micha26 Thu 14-Jul-05 00:41:40

Agree with you that this is very sad. However, we don't have to go far, kids are being mistreated in this society as well - this is not a particularly african problem, is it?

MamaMaiasaura Thu 14-Jul-05 00:44:45

not what i meant micha. havent explained myself very well. it is the fact that they took photo's of these kids and then walked away. children being mistreated anywhere is bad. what i meant was as adults when we see it we should protect them.

micha26 Thu 14-Jul-05 00:48:35

Journalism has always a cruel side to it. Very true

Done Thu 14-Jul-05 00:53:02

micha - you telling me things like this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4678211.stm happen here in the UK?

and we see children like this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4677969.stm

micha26 Thu 14-Jul-05 00:58:21

No - that is not what I'm saying. What I was saying is that there is cruelty to children in western countries and also the UK as well, i.e. children being beaten up by their parents or being molested.

I just don't want to create a ranking of what kind of cruelty towards children is worse, as it is all bad.

Done Thu 14-Jul-05 00:59:43

But the difference is that here in the UK it is relatively uncommon for such extreme cruelty - and it's widely condemmed, over there the authorities take days to respond to the (very rare) reports of abuse - if they respond at all. If that happenend in the UK there would be outrage.

micha26 Thu 14-Jul-05 01:05:11

Don't agree with you on that. As I said before, are fathers raping their daughters or parents breaking the bones of their toddlers really less cruel. Can you really take comparison on cruelty?

We don't know how many cases of child abuse are hidden here, do we?

I just don't want to contribute to the common stereotype about africa. They are not more or less human than we are.

MamaMaiasaura Thu 14-Jul-05 01:05:58

wasnt trying to create ranking here. what i was saying is that why is it reported and photographed.. no public outrage. Nothing being done.

There has been that huge story about the young girl abused by aunt for being apparantly possessed. Quite rightly people are outraged.. but it is still happening and has been for some time in africa. It seems if it happens in our country people are horrified but if it is elsewhere the media seem to see it as lesser news that that of america falled launch of a sodding spaceship.. it is like 'hello' .. kids or big chunk of metal. Also the horrifc crash in india, 152 dead not huge media attention.

MamaMaiasaura Thu 14-Jul-05 01:08:02

am getting confused cos wasnt stereotyping countries and wasnt measuring one kind of abuse against another.. what i was questioning was why the news of atrrocities in other countries are deemed less news worthy and people are not in uproar about it.

micha26 Thu 14-Jul-05 01:09:47

Awen - I understand where you are coming from and never meant to create the impression that you were creating a ranking.

I am totally with you when it comes to the point of failing to understand why there is an outrage when things happen next door, but things do not get attention if they happen in other parts of the world. Agree 100%

wheresmyfroggy Thu 14-Jul-05 01:10:24

National news is always gonna be more high profile than international news though,not saying it's right but i bet india didn't have big coverage of the hatfield or paddington crashes

micha26 Thu 14-Jul-05 01:10:47

Awen - wasn't meant in response to your posts but that of done

MamaMaiasaura Thu 14-Jul-05 01:15:32

micha26 - oh i see now. Sorry tired

micha26 Thu 14-Jul-05 01:17:31

Bout time to hit the sack

Done Thu 14-Jul-05 01:18:27

get a life micha! Read my post properly

Abuse here in the news = outrage

Abuse there in the news (here or there) = no-one gives a damn.

micha26 Thu 14-Jul-05 01:21:16

get a life my ass

how many times have you been to africa?. Have a look how child abusers are treated in their prisons and how lenient they are being treated in this country - despite any outrage. Go to jail - get a shrink who tells they are fit again - get out and do the same sh*t - there, they never see the light again.

Done Thu 14-Jul-05 01:22:17

been to Africa plenty of times. How many times have YOU been?

micha26 Thu 14-Jul-05 01:23:08

Just as many. Being married to an african - have family there

Done Thu 14-Jul-05 01:23:33

again you can't be bothered to read my post - Awen was talking about the NEWS.

I was talking about the NEWS - not prisons

Done Thu 14-Jul-05 01:24:42

snap - I even married mine in Africa - and had a baby out there.

micha26 Thu 14-Jul-05 01:24:52

I read your post, but did you read mine?

I rather have suck suckers locked away safely than a big outrage. What is worth more?

MamaMaiasaura Thu 14-Jul-05 01:26:46

<<--pokes head around corner.. can i just defend the psychiatrist side of things being a final year MH nurse and having working in forensics and had to look after people who have abused kids.. If someone has been diagnosed with a severe mental disorder which is deemed responsible for their actions the likelyhood is that they never leave hospital. If they became unwell in prison and do recover then when they recover they still have to service the rest of thier time.

MamaMaiasaura Thu 14-Jul-05 01:27:43

should i post a link to the story?

Done Thu 14-Jul-05 01:27:48

because with outrage comes more awareness and more people reporting abuse.

Your (sadly) sorely mistaken if you believe the amount of child abuse in Africa is the same as that in the UK - even with what it hidden behind closed doors - which usually come out in the news if a death occurs.

You'll find in prisons here a child abuser will be treated like sh*t by other prisoners, out there they don't - although here theives are treated fairly in prison, and out their they often have justice served by the public before the police get hold of them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now