Talk

Advanced search

great article about the negative effects of lap dancing

(35 Posts)
YoureGorgeous Sat 13-Feb-10 08:57:40

in todays times
for all those" ooh its empowering" freaks people thats me in the pic

cocolepew Sat 13-Feb-10 09:06:21

God imagine taking your clothes off in broad daylight for a bunch of men to stare at you. Blergh.

OTOH you look nice, do you wax?

YoureGorgeous Sat 13-Feb-10 09:07:00

do you like me pants?

arf

butadream Sat 13-Feb-10 09:07:33

I don't think that article says quite enough. What worries me about lap dancing clubs is that "research has linked lap-dancing to human trafficking, prostitution and an increase in sexual violence towards women. For example, after lap dancing clubs opened in Camden, incidents of rape rose by 50% with other types of sexual violence increasing by 57%.", as per this older article and this one with more info about the research in question.

YoureGorgeous Sat 13-Feb-10 09:10:26

akready a comment saying "ooh well if they earn money"

shitting nora.

BariatricObama Sat 13-Feb-10 09:13:03

snort @ the wanky seagull 'its better value than poundland!'

openminded Thu 24-Feb-11 13:44:59

"For example, after lap dancing clubs opened in Camden, incidents of rape rose by 50% with other types of sexual violence increasing by 57%."

I'm afraid that's absolute RUBBISH. Rape rates in Camden have actually FALLEN over this period. People say "Research shows that blah blah blah" but they never reference the particular research that they are referring to. People with an axe to grind will just make all sorts of stuff up!

I assume that most of you on here are mothers. I also assume that most of you have never been inside a lapdancing club, or ever even talked to a dancer.

I interpret feminism as this: empowering women to make their own choices.

What gives anyone the right to tell someone else how to live their life?

Working as a dancer in a lapdancing club is simply one option open to women. I know single mothers who dance and earn enough money working 2-3 nights a week to support their child. As a result they have their days free to be with and look after their child. I know one dancer who is a Cambridge graduate, very intelligent and capable, and also a single mum to a disabled child. She works as a dancer for exactly this reason.

WHO ARE YOU TO TELL HER SHE SHOULD NOT HAVE THIS CHOICE?

PLEASE, GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSES AND STOP PREACHING TO OTHERS HOW THEY SHOULD LIVE.

If lapdancing clubs get closed down it will disproportionately negatively affect women. What you are doing is, therefore, by the legal definition, sexist!

I know other dancers who make over 250K a year. They don't have to sleep with customers or do anything illegal or anything they don't want to do. What gives you the right to try and deprive them of that income? Just because of your own prejudices. And they are prejudices - because if you've never been into a lapdancing club, you can't possibly know what they are like!!!

It's a shame that people who hold extreme views or views based on ignorance, should have any say in other peoples's lives at all.

Live and let live, I say!

DirtyMartini Thu 24-Feb-11 14:34:47

oh hello openminded, here you are again!

I saw your almost exactly identical post on the other thread you were on today and I replied to it. I am not going to duplicate my reply here though, as there seems no point in having the same conversation in two places.

Suffice it to say your assumptions are faulty.

chandellina Thu 24-Feb-11 19:27:31

openminded - your arguments are weak and superficial.

Is it empowerment for a woman to choose what brand cereal to buy at the supermarket? it's her choice, after all. Taking off your clothes for money is not empowerment, it's a business arrangement.

If a club closes, it will benefit far more women who don't have to be demeaned by these activities in their neighbourhoods than those harmed by loss of earnings.

It's up to society to say what is ok or not - people have every right to not want these establishments in their towns.

I have been in a club, and have known friends of friends who were dancers. I find the entire enterprise extremely distasteful and an embarassment to any self-respecting women.

wordfactory Thu 24-Feb-11 19:57:44

openminded don't make silly assumptions.

I have been a 'dancer' ie stripper, and the reality is that the vast majority of us did it through having very few other choices.

Sure the money was okay, but it was not empowering.
The clients paid us to take off our clothes. Simples.

I don't regret it. It served a purpose for me.
But to place it above what it actually is, is a disservice to the women who actually do it.

This is like saying most prostitutes do their job because they love sex.
It's a line they feed the clients.
The reality is need of money and few other choices.

Let's at the very leats be truthful.

giveitago Thu 24-Feb-11 20:03:00

2If lapdancing clubs get closed down it will disproportionately negatively affect women"

how?

sethstarkaddersmackerel Thu 24-Feb-11 20:09:20

I bet Openminded is a punter.

wordfactory Thu 24-Feb-11 20:21:53

To be fair, many of the women working in the trade do need the money.

Often they have precious few other choices.

Closing lap dancing joints will effect them negatively.

But that's not necessarily a reason to keep them open of course.

chandellina Thu 24-Feb-11 20:52:19

AFAIK, the issue isn't even closing clubs, but in taking lapdancing out of venues that aren't specifically licenced for it.

The risk raised in the story is that you could have dancers in every random pub and club, much in the same way pubs introduced food to get people in the door.

wordfactory Fri 25-Feb-11 09:37:49

Yes, re reading it, that is the legal position.

And I do think the rights of local residents not to raise their families near these venues must trump any right a woman has to earn money.

hymie Fri 25-Feb-11 14:07:05

People live how they live.

If it's genuinely their choice then other people should keep out of their lives unless it breaks a law.

David51 Fri 25-Feb-11 15:08:47

I bet Openminded is a punter.

He told us on another thread that he'd made 200 visits to lapdancing clubs.

That doesn't necessarily mean he's wrong of course. But whatever he may say, I would question whether it's the interests of the women that are uppermost in his mind.

YouGoGlennCoco Fri 25-Feb-11 15:11:29

But the " choices" of these women impact on the rest of us. They form the mainstream view that women are commodities whose sole purpose isnto look z"hot" and service men , it's not empowering for us to be judge on appearance or dismissed as " jealous uptight or prudes" simply for questioning this

YouGoGlennCoco Fri 25-Feb-11 15:13:28

(if at any point anyones feeling " you go glen coco" do feel free to say)

Mingg Fri 25-Feb-11 21:28:03

Agree with you hymie

hymie Fri 25-Feb-11 22:29:09

Would you ban women from being lapdancers YGGC?

Perhaps a mini referendum on which women would do it if they could would give a consensus?

YouGoGlennCoco Fri 25-Feb-11 23:40:48

Not ban. Just make The Wrong Thing To do. Like drink driving.

EricNorthmansMistress Sat 26-Feb-11 11:53:55

agree with glenncoco

The choice made by mainstream pubs to offer a display of tits and ass to customers in exchange for a few shiny pound coins might be legal, but it has the effect of normalising the whole business. Stripping used to be confined to licensed premises which were solely for that purpose thereby keeping it out of the faces of the majority of the population. A bloke who wouldn't normally go to a strip club will now be likely to be exposed to stripping over his lunchtime pint - the more people who are exposed to the culture, message and reality of objectifying women's bodies for cash, the more damage is done to society as a whole. That's my opinion but I stand by it. The world would be better if women didn't feel that selling themselves for cash was a good idea, and men didn't feel it was acceptable to buy women's bodies for cash. Anything that makes tis easier or more normal is a Bad Thing.

YouGoGlennCoco Sat 26-Feb-11 12:08:46

you go glenn coco

Mingg Sat 26-Feb-11 17:08:06

Drink driving is illegal not just "The Wrong Thing To do"...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now