Talk

Advanced search

School trips into Central London

(35 Posts)
smellysocks Mon 11-Jul-05 11:41:31

My daughter's school is refusing to cancel a trip to the Science Museum tomorrow (12 July).
With London on its highest ever security alert is this wise? I feel that whilst its fine for us adults to take a 'don't them disrupt our lives' stance, it is a bit much for our headmistress to expect us to send our precious 6 year olds into town with out us. A large number of us are actually planning to keep the kids at home anyway, but we can't help feeling that the school is behaving irresponsibly. What does anyone else think?

MrsDoolittle Mon 11-Jul-05 11:44:15

I don't know if an attack is anymore likely tomorrow than a few months down the line and after that, to be honest.
I would still be worrying though, I'd be considering keeping her away from London all together.
I don't know, I'm sure people will disagree with me.

HappyMumof2 Mon 11-Jul-05 11:48:40

Message withdrawn

jampots Mon 11-Jul-05 11:50:46

no way would i let mine go into London (or any other major city to be honest) atm. Dd went to see Lion King with her school last xmas and I nearly pooped myself til they got back

puddle Mon 11-Jul-05 11:50:49

I think for me the issue would be that at the moment there are a lot of security alerts and stations being shut down - everyone is jittery after last week. I wouldn't like the idea of my 6 year old stuck and not able to get home - I am at work in London today by the way but agree it's different for adults who have to go there.

Ameriscot2005 Mon 11-Jul-05 11:52:35

Our school has had a policy for the last few years of not going into London, but they lifted this recently. The first trip into London was DS's class on a trip to the Science Museum and the Bank of England - that was last Thursday (30th June). I haven't heard, but I imagine they will be reverting to the old policy now.

There are plenty of other places to go on school trips so I don't think the kids are missing out particularly, especially if parents take them into London and teach them how to use the Tube and buses etc.

Marina Mon 11-Jul-05 11:54:20

I am fighting real panic about ds going on a Playscheme for a week later this summer, but I will be letting him go, not least because I don't have much choice really .
Tbh I think your school has the right approach smellysocks. Every school or other organisation cancelling such outings is helping murderers towards their objective of disrupting UK life and spreading fear.
I would not describe it as irresponsible, myself - London is bristling with police. It is probably safer at the moment than at any time since the General Election.
However, I totally understand and sympathise with parents who feel like you do. I hope the school will respect your POV and not make you feel bad if you do decide to withdraw dd from the trip.

Marina Mon 11-Jul-05 11:55:06

Very good point puddle. The chances of being caught up in short-term but upsetting false alarm disruption are high I suspect.

RTKangaMummy Mon 11-Jul-05 11:56:57

I would deffo not let DS go on a school trip into LONDON atm

We are going into London as a family in about 10 days time

Will not be going on tube {cos don't like them anyway} we will go how we usually go which is to drive and park then get cab

compo Mon 11-Jul-05 11:59:14

I really think we should carry on as normal though. If we all cancel everything it will affect the museums, cafes etc etc in London. My heart would be in my mouth until your daughter is safely home again but i would still let her go.

KBear Mon 11-Jul-05 12:30:46

I definitely wouldn't let my DD go on a school trip to London at the moment. she is 6. However, I think alot to school trips with older children are going ahead because teenagers can fend for themselves in an emergency to a certain extent, 6 year olds can't. My niece's trip next week is going ahead but she's 14.

I think there are plenty of places to visit that aren't in central London and there is all the time in the world to visit them when things are calmer up there.

I work in the City and I obviously have to go but DD doesn't and therefore won't be.

Everyone's worry factor is different. Mine is high to hysterical .

batters Mon 11-Jul-05 12:35:12

smellysocks, our school has done exactly the same, cancelled all trips into central London which use public transport. And of course, our school only uses public transport (can't afford a coach) and only goes into central London on trips as we are so near to it.

I think that actually, in your case, the trip should be cancelled. Not because of danger, I reckon London is about as safe as it can be at the moment, but because of the horrendous delays there will be using public transport. It has taken me nearly two hours to get into work today for a one hour journey. Colleagues are reporting the same problem. If your school is using a coach, then there are possible delays there as well I think.

But in general I disagree with school trips being cancelled, for the reasons compo and others have said. I took my dd into central London yesterday, and would in no way think myself irresponsible or stupid because of it. For those of us who live in major cities we have no option but to carry on "as normal".

tarantula Mon 11-Jul-05 12:40:57

Do people consider South Kensington central London tho? I dont and I work here. I think to me it would depend on how they are getting to where they are going. Id be wary about young children taking the tube from say North london down ie near any of the stations where the bombs were but if comimg in from the south or going by coach then it would be different because there is less chance of disruption.

HappyMumof2 Mon 11-Jul-05 12:54:33

Message withdrawn

smellysocks Mon 11-Jul-05 13:24:37

I didn't mention that our school is in North London, so many of the parents were caught up in last Thursday's attacks. I think what most of us fear is not our kids actually being close to an exploding bomb, but being in a security alert where perhaps the museum has to be evacuated or trapped in the coach for a long time because a road has been closed.

nutcracker Mon 11-Jul-05 13:27:26

I would not let mine go TBH.

I agree with trying to let things carry on as normal etc but it is too soon, and they are kids.

I live in Brum and will not be going anywhere near the city centre if I can help it and neither will my kids.

sis Mon 11-Jul-05 13:32:54

Ds's school cancelled a trip for this friday that would have involved travel on public transport and I agree on two counts. Firstly there are the delays as others have mentioned and secondly, some of the children are very frightened and I think it is for parents to take them on public transport again after last Thursday. Parents are better placed to judge each child is ready and and to provide any reassurance that may be needed.

HappyMumof2 Mon 11-Jul-05 13:37:21

Message withdrawn

batters Mon 11-Jul-05 13:42:38

sis it hadn't occurred to me that some of the kids would be afraid. I think then that what you have said is right.

puddle Mon 11-Jul-05 13:46:02

My colleague has had to take time off the last couple of mornings to calm down her son before school. He's terrified she'll be killed coming to work. he is 7. She hadn't discussed the bombing with him but he found out about it from school mates. I would imagine lots of children will be worried and scared for themselves and their families.

milward Mon 11-Jul-05 13:48:06

Couldn't they go some where else? loads to see & do that's not going to worry parents & kids. Agree with the public transport issue - that parents should take them first if their kids are worried.

SenoraPostrophe Mon 11-Jul-05 14:04:01

I don't see the need to worry.

London is probably safer now than it was 2 months ago because of the security alert. Also kids wouldn't be travelling at rush hour.

I know it's all very well for me to say, because I live in Spain and dd is too young anyway, but if she was older I'd let her go.

Marina Mon 11-Jul-05 14:08:10

Another valid point from sis. If children are worried, then they really should NOT be made to travel into town at the mo. Ds lost interest once he knew the Slitheen were not involved, and I am very relieved about that.

KBear Mon 11-Jul-05 18:22:10

SP - I don't think London is safe, at all, at the moment and I think there is every need to worry. As an adult I choose to go there to work but I want to protect my DD from the fear of and the risk of attack so she wouldn't be going.

Blondeinlondon Mon 11-Jul-05 18:33:08

I would let them go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now