Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is your three year old a CRIMINAL? Home office wants to monitor our toddlers!

(13 Posts)
mamadadawahwah Thu 23-Jun-05 10:16:34

Couple weeks back, dont know if you noticed but a leaked document from the Home Office stated it wanted to look into "monitoring" children as young as three for criminal "behaviour".

How they intend to do this I dont know, but there are many avenues they could take, particularly with programs like "sure start" which tend to be in financially depressed areas and areas of high crime. Beware people, beware.

We are already on the road to the I.D, cards, kids as young as eight are going to be I.D'd for the G8 summit, and tags for school children is well established already, in the U.S.

If your child does not "cooperate" or follow directions by the age of three, "they" may be watching him/her.

mamadadawahwah Thu 23-Jun-05 10:17:41

Maybe some teachers on MN could tell us if this leaked story has caused any concern. It is old news in the U.S., but here we seem to be "lagging" a bit on the "big brother" front.

Chandra Thu 23-Jun-05 10:52:18

I wouldn't worry about it, if teenage yobs get to do as they want without the police being able to intervene unless they attempt to murder someone, I don't expect they would be very efficient in the 3 yr old front either...

mamadadawahwah Thu 23-Jun-05 12:40:02

I do worry about it because if this idea became a law then the process of "monitoring" turns into action and young toddlers and children could be labelled, scrutinised, taken away from their homes, etc.

This is surely one more attempt by the powers that be to intrude on family life and make work for social services department. Its ludicrous but why did the idea evolve in the first place. What are the motives behind such an idea?? Hmmm

misdee Thu 23-Jun-05 12:40:43

i have no idea of what your on about.

mamadadawahwah Thu 23-Jun-05 12:43:40

I will post a link then. Its been in the news loads, but hush hush.

mamadadawahwah Thu 23-Jun-05 12:46:19

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4087294.stm

"The government has defended plans to monitor children as young as three for potential criminal behaviour.
Children's minister Beverley Hughes said it was important to identify problems as early as possible.

However, she added: "There is a balance to be struck between intervening early and labelling children prematurely."

It is expected that professionals could look for signs such as difficulties respecting boundaries or responding to adults, and offer appropriate help."......

MamaMaiasaura Thu 23-Jun-05 12:59:08

uh-oh ds bought home some treasure from school (a plastic coloured bead) does that mean they are going to tag him!! [shock} - And should I be worried that ds prefers the 'dark side' of the force? Darth vader pants, cups, etc etc..

mamadadawahwah Thu 23-Jun-05 13:01:11

Awen, dont know will have to talk to submit this information to the home office.

lunachic Thu 23-Jun-05 13:02:00

he tried taking some crisps out of the door at tesco and collapsed in a heap of tears when his grandma pointed out the security gaurd who was watching him !

lunachic Thu 23-Jun-05 13:02:28

or even security guard

MamaMaiasaura Thu 23-Jun-05 13:13:05

lol cool. Does that mean mugshots and the works..

mogwai Thu 23-Jun-05 13:44:31

I work with kids of this age. My colleagues and I regularly discuss which ones are going to nick our hubcaps in ten years time (possibly less). It's absolutely obvious, though not very PC of me to say so.

Not sure what we can do about it though!!!

We did once discuss the idea of having a "stun gun" over the door, which we could activate as the child left the room. It dished out some sort of punishment and there were some very extreme ones!!!

You gotta have some sense of humour

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now