Talk

Advanced search

Married men earn more if their wives do the chores!!!!

(40 Posts)
soapbox Wed 22-Jun-05 11:37:36

Do you think married women earn more if their husbands do the chores?

Don't be silly - they'd never have thought of testing that hypothesis would they

soapbox Wed 22-Jun-05 11:38:50

Oops - forgot the link

article

bossykate Wed 22-Jun-05 11:41:14

of course they do, they are completely freed up to think of nothing but their careers. unlike me... <sigh>

handlemecarefully Wed 22-Jun-05 11:42:22

Well that seems to make intuitive good sense

norash Wed 22-Jun-05 11:44:18

Bull.

handlemecarefully Wed 22-Jun-05 11:45:28

Cow

Is this a word association thread

kama Wed 22-Jun-05 11:46:31

Message withdrawn

Nightynight Wed 22-Jun-05 11:47:46

well it stands to reason doesnt it - they just get up in the morning, and go to work. Then they have a peaceful day concentrating on their work and go home to perfect house and welcoming wife...

whereas Im distracted by paying bills, writing letters to insurance companies, dx phoning me with his problems..then I get home to house hit by typhoon when children are there, cook supper, dx tells me I dont need 8 hours sleep, try to manage on 6....

I dont find it AT ALL surprising that those b+++++y men earn more than I do!

Caligula Wed 22-Jun-05 11:48:34

Tell us what we didn't know!

Now where's that thread where the DH was refusing to acknowledge the value of the poster's housework?

basketcase Wed 22-Jun-05 11:49:33

The article seemed to take different types of work into account but not touched on age - as most unmarried men are younger and therefore might earn a lower wage? Also, why do they look at it that it is the married men earning more rather than considering why unmarried men are earning less? There is a lot of prejudice around and a forty year old man happily married with two children, mortgage and two cars is viewed differently amongst colleagues to a single man in his forties with no dependants and in rented accomodation..Perceptions and prejudice have a lot to do with wage package decisions - as women are often only too aware.
Maybe it isn’t just about wives doing all the extra so that the men concentrate on working better?

soapbox Wed 22-Jun-05 11:50:47

3% isn't much though is it?
TBH - I'm surprised it isn't higher.

I think the ungrateful sods should aim a lot higher than that for all the work that their DWs do for them!

Tortington Wed 22-Jun-05 11:57:14

'A marriage might allow a husband and wife to focus their activities on tasks to which they are most suited.'

eh? i can't remember a time 'washing up' ever suited me darling.

pz. basketcase is right. lies damned lies and statistics. f*ckwits

Guardianangel Wed 22-Jun-05 12:37:27

WEEELLLLL, I think there is a valid point to this. Housewives, sorry Homemakers, take care of everything in the house, freeing him up to concentrate on his work projects which will catapult him into his promotion. That means more money for us to spend! yippee. works well in my house.

Tortington Wed 22-Jun-05 12:45:11

why is it HIM ga?

once the kids start school if the other partner in this relationship worked they would bring in more than 3%.

Guardianangel Wed 22-Jun-05 12:51:26

Him or her, which ever way you swing. Frankly 3% wouldnt get me out of bed. I had a career for half of my life time and enjoy doing the home things now as i realise it is to the benefit of the family. Going to work once the kids are at school is NOT an option. Call me old fashioned but I want to keep the homefires burning. The chores in the house dont just disappear when the kids are not there. No, HOMEMAKERS make a valid and valuable contribution. (not when on MN all day though) Im off.

ninah Wed 22-Jun-05 12:55:15

Essex seems to be turning out some odd research lately, there was something else I read last night equally Daily Mail, will see if I can find it.
What about unmarried couples in the same position, to begin with?

WideWebWitch Wed 22-Jun-05 12:56:34

ha ha custardo, yes, copied and pasted from the article:
"...there could be two explanations for the results:

A marriage might allow a husband and wife to focus their activities on tasks to which they are most suited. Traditionally, this would result in the man concentrating on paid work enabling him to increase productivity and in consequence his wages.
Ah, so women are more suited to menial, unpaid, shitty, tedious, boring work then?

Taylor said another explanation could be that marriage may increase the amount of time a man has to hone work-related skills which could trigger higher wages.
Well, as bk, state the bleedin obvious: if ALL you have to do is go to work it's a lot easier than going to work and being responsible for associated 'wifework'

The other thread is here

Tortington Wed 22-Jun-05 12:57:06

what aboutthe presumption that finances allow one person can stay at home

Nightynight Wed 22-Jun-05 13:20:18

a management tutor told us at uni that it is actually true that women cope better with boring menial tasks than men. bl**dy annoying, but apparently true.
Apparently it is known that we women can raise boring tasks to an art form, and stay mentally strong while doing them day in day out, whereas men just crack up and do the jobs badly.

handlemecarefully Wed 22-Jun-05 13:21:11

That figures! (dh does them incredibly badly)

ScrewballMuppet Wed 22-Jun-05 13:27:38

'A marriage might allow a husband and wife to focus their activities on tasks to which they are most suited'

This type of thing really winds me up, best suited my **.

Don't know wether I'm more flaborgasted at the research carried out or there findings

ScrewballMuppet Wed 22-Jun-05 13:29:26

Makes me wonder what are men useful for if they can't cope with much?

Guardianangel Wed 22-Jun-05 13:33:41

'Blimey Screwball, you only just asking yourself that question! Not a lot these days if they get this cloning thing off the ground!!

WideWebWitch Wed 22-Jun-05 13:35:42

Nightynight, Tamum, who's a geneticist, confirms that there is NO genetic difference between men and women that means women are better able to cope with tedious crap. Tamum, where are you? Please confirm!

dillydally Wed 22-Jun-05 13:36:33

Next there will be a "married women are happier if men sometimes help them" shocker...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now