Talk

Advanced search

Claude Lévi-Strauss has died.

(8 Posts)
Penthesileia Tue 03-Nov-09 23:39:38

Here's the obituary in The Guardian.

End of an intellectual era, I suppose. I remember being amazed to discover that he was still alive when I was an undergraduate. He seemed so much like a figure from some mythical intellectual past, peopled by such figures as Sartre, Foucault, Barthes, etc.

RIP.

cherryblossoms Wed 04-Nov-09 01:11:55

Wow. i had no idea he was still alive. He was, like, ... the twentieth century ... .

[inarticulate, low-brow response]

MadameDefarge Wed 04-Nov-09 01:21:54

Another great of French intellectualism gone....

Definitely end of an era. Now we have tossers like Bernard Henri-Levi posturing with bryoneque shirts and women a third of his age...

NickNemo Wed 04-Nov-09 17:14:28

Oh no!!! The world of anthropology will never be the same.

cocolepew Wed 04-Nov-09 17:19:55

How sad, I loved his jeans.

Chaotica Wed 04-Nov-09 17:37:39

I was surprised that he was still alive blush He did get to a fine age.

Nick Nemo - Au contraire, the world of anthropology will be the same again: the same structure will turn up again and again and again....

NickNemo Wed 04-Nov-09 18:24:00

Yup, but he was the beginning of an era wasn't he? That said anthropology hasn't changed for ever (says a sociologist wink)

Cocolepaw,

dustythedolphin Thu 05-Nov-09 09:11:52

I used to obsessively read his books when I was about 14 and wanted to be an anthropologist! Very sad at his passing but he lived to a ripe old age and enjoyed a very interesting life and inspired many people

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now