Talk

Advanced search

British defence league in Leeds

(16 Posts)
beeny Sat 31-Oct-09 22:43:12

I happened to remember that british defence league were marching in Leeds today,so even though whole family were going shopping we had to change plans.I am asian and husband is white.We have a toddler and baby.I think im posting because its made me feel very weird.I love living in Britain I was born here.

nighbynight Sat 31-Oct-09 23:04:34

I just googled the british defence league - oh lord.
yes, it is weird isnt it, that the political landscape is changing for the worse atm.

MillyR Sat 31-Oct-09 23:35:02

I was travelling on the M62 today and there was a coach load of men with a Union Jack flag in the back and weird looking plastic head stuck in the back window with spikes on it. I was really worried that they were going to Leeds for some dodgy reason - maybe it was for the demonstration.

I thought it was called the English Defence league, but haven't looked into it. It is very sad though.

lollopops Sun 01-Nov-09 00:14:51

Sorry to hear that Beeny. It must be awful to feel targeted. Hold your head up high and carry on with life.

We had this same thing where I live and I felt so bad for my kids (they're mixed race)

Biobytes Sun 01-Nov-09 00:28:08

Well, there have to be some bigots here and there... don't take it personally, just avoid them in the same way you would avoid the area for a day if it was full of drunks.

AnyGhoulKno Sun 01-Nov-09 00:28:17

awful isn't it. I avoided leeds today for the same reason.

JesusChristOtterStar Sun 01-Nov-09 00:38:53

beeny i went to leeds today and it was as wonderful and multi cultural as ever smile

i feel sad you felt you could not go and understand how crappy that made you feel ....dont let those revolting people get to you

fwiw it sounds like there were almost twice as many anti fascists as there were british defence bigots

Biobytes Sun 01-Nov-09 00:50:20

How come what happened today is already in Wikipedia... hmm

JesusChristOtterStar Sun 01-Nov-09 00:53:11

is it?

JesusChristOtterStar Sun 01-Nov-09 00:54:37

yeuch

lollopops Sun 01-Nov-09 00:54:54

It's all very strange. Someone who I used to go to school with, who added me on facebook made a status earlier, saying that he was going on the EDL march. Yet he joined the facebook group who are against the BNP hmm

Is there much difference between the 2 groups? Is it more to do with football hooliganism?

Sorry for sounding so ignorant.

JesusChristOtterStar Sun 01-Nov-09 01:00:17

no very little difference as far as i know
i reckon football hooligans and edl or bnp = ignorant yobs!

lollopops Sun 01-Nov-09 01:03:16

I think you're right JCOS. I wonder whether they are just doing the BNP's job for them

Biobytes Sun 01-Nov-09 12:03:15

According to Wikipedia, BNP is trying to distance themselves from the EDL.

However, they seem to me like two lots of fascists, but it seems that EDL it is more focused on causing confrontation.

JesusChristOtterStar Sun 01-Nov-09 21:59:31

revolting
i wish it were illegal

beeny Sun 01-Nov-09 22:20:41

Sorry didnt thank everyone yesterday for their kind and wise words

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now