Talk

Advanced search

Is this a joke?! So when a kids knocks on my door tonight saying 'Trick or Treat'...

(27 Posts)
Disenchanted3 Sat 31-Oct-09 12:15:44

I'm supposed to hand them 'spooky' toast, eggs and carrot?!

What don't these people just frig off and let people get on with their lives,

Do they feel the need to comment and suck the fun out of everything?!

I'm seriously sick of all this shit, alot of parents DO have common sense and don't let their kids eat buckets of Haribo every day,
hmm

Ledodgy Sat 31-Oct-09 12:17:13

That egg will not travel well in trick or treat bags!

God, why do they have to make every day and every mouthful a big deal? You're supposed to have sweets on halloween, it's a big part of what makes it fun for children!

What's next? no easter eggs, give them hardboiled eggs instead?

Agree with disenchanted... they're fun vortexes! hmm

pointyhat Sat 31-Oct-09 12:36:38

Giving out boiled eggs would be brilliant on halloween. What better gruesome treat of horror.

cherryblossoms Sat 31-Oct-09 12:39:12

I think they're thinking of food for the pre-trick-or-treating party. But, yes, you're right.

What's crazy is that the sort of people who will read that, and even consider it, probably do nutritional food most of the year, so Hallowe'en is a once-in-a-blue-moon dionysical sugar-rush for their kids.

What do you think of the "snack-wheel" recently advertised on the TV? Personally, I think it's risible ... but am prepared to stand corrected.

pointyhat Sat 31-Oct-09 12:40:40

I am currently making halloween party food. Not a boiled egg in sight.

Disenchanted3 Sat 31-Oct-09 12:52:04

I don't think any child who is begging for a mars bar will be happy with spinning a wheel and subsituting it for '5 cherry tomatoes'
Having said that my kids would probably take the option of the 5 cherry toms over the choccy, BUT they are not the type of kids who the 'wheel' is aimed at.

Its aimed at kids who eat crap constantly and have very little fruit & veg and the wheel is supposed to change that, but I doubt it would.

My kids do eat choc and sweets by the way, but not to the extent that I need goverment guidance in weaning them off it hmm

littleducks Sat 31-Oct-09 12:56:22

The guide is about party food for halloween parties, i dont think that a charity would want to be seen to be encouraging trick or treating

Disenchanted3 Sat 31-Oct-09 13:06:59

But they don't have to be seen encouraging it do they... they just don't have to comment on it at all!

EccentricaGallumbats Sat 31-Oct-09 13:14:31

So how much is it going to cost to hard boil and prepare about 50 or so eggs?

they'll get haribo if they knock on my door.

ProfessorLaytonIsMyZombieSlave Sat 31-Oct-09 13:17:19

I wouldn't worry; under new rules you aren't allowed to open yoyr door to trick-or-treaters without having an enhanced CRB certificate, so you won't get as far as the tofuburger ghoulies.

I did like what they said in the mn guide to halloween about giving out tangerines instead of sweets, but that was more about discouraging greedy teenagers coming back for seconds, rather than encouraging a healthy halloween.

But yeah, hardboiled eggs would probably be flung back at your house as soon as you shut the door! grin

Disenchanted3 Sat 31-Oct-09 13:24:18

And you have to have a 'kitchen hygeine certificate' Im sure.... and only use free range barn eggs plus have a CRB checked goverment approved 'Halloween ranger'

wink

foxinsocks Sat 31-Oct-09 13:31:44

they look good those eggs don't they

cherry, mine must have seen the snackwheel in an ad on tv because when I came back from work the other day, they had made their own snack wheel and I was wondering what it was about!

nighbynight Sat 31-Oct-09 13:34:20

pointyhat,
raw eggs would be ghoulier, surely?

nighbynight Sat 31-Oct-09 13:38:12

thing is, I could give that healthy food to my own children, but I wouldnt have the nerve to offer it to other peoples childre, especially if they come knocking at the door hoping for sweeties!

We have laid in some toffees, small milky ways and club biscuits.

MrsMorgan Sat 31-Oct-09 13:46:42

I have just finnished filling 13 party bags with sweets and that is how it should be.

Getting a boiled egg is hardley a treat is it lol.

ImSoNotTelling Sat 31-Oct-09 14:07:15

What's a snack wheel? I wonder if I could do with one wink

I don't like the older ones who are after cash and threaten to smash eggs on you and stuff. Maybe I should try giving them some toast see how that goes down hmm

foxinsocks Sat 31-Oct-09 16:06:32

lol it's from one of those government type adverts that ends with the people making the word Life

snack wheel

wannaBe Sat 31-Oct-09 16:26:02

just follow my approach and don't answer the door. :grin: saves a fortune.

notsoteenagemum Sat 31-Oct-09 16:39:39

Snort, the two eight year olds who just knocked on my door asked my Dad for a fag, when he said 'no' they said 'fuck off' and threw their treats at the door, imagine if I'd offered them a boiled egg!

Frrrightattendant Sat 31-Oct-09 16:42:37

It's been going on for years and years in America, kids chuck eggs at people's houses every year on hallowe'en.

I don't think people give them the eggs though.

Frrrightattendant Sat 31-Oct-09 16:44:29

And I don't answer the door because there are no kids round here and we are usually in bed anyway...at our last place we only got big teenagers we didn't even know, it was so mercenary, they didn't even bother dressing up so I would just open the bedroom window and say 'sorry the kids are in bed, bye'

At least they never made any trouble.

diddl Sun 01-Nov-09 18:52:31

Does anyone else remember days before TorT, and used to go out "mischieving"?blush

VampireSoupAndPeachyPie Sun 01-Nov-09 18:58:20

Ah snack wheels, we don't have them in Wales apaprenlty.Clearly we are somuch skinnier here (I'm a size 8.If you cut my head off, half me then weigh the remains).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now