Talk

Advanced search

Sophie Atay appeal on the news??

(18 Posts)
mrswill Fri 30-Oct-09 19:35:08

Did anyone see the sophie atay appeal on the news?

Shes the 19month old that has a rare form of cancer that is better treated in the US at huge cost, and only has 11 days to raise the money. I havent heard of this little girl before, ive donated, but does anyone know of any general fundraising events for her, the situation seems so sad.

noshouting Sat 31-Oct-09 08:36:02

Hi I did too, have donated, hope they get the full amount and the parents can give little Sophie the chance to have the treatment.

eyetunes Sat 31-Oct-09 08:38:42

saw it too, anyone got a link to donate?

eyetunes Sat 31-Oct-09 08:40:46

wow! just found it by googling her name. Already £230,000 raised!

eyetunes Sat 31-Oct-09 08:48:21

just donated and they are so busy on that site that it has gone to 299,000 when you go through to the donations bit. They will have the money by lunchtime at this rate. Fantastic!

noshouting Sat 31-Oct-09 09:24:13

www.justgiving.com/sophie-appeal/

Hope this link works ok

mrswill Sat 31-Oct-09 12:04:09

Links are also wwww.sophie-appeal.org.

It doesnt look like they have an official fundraiser, but there are a few events going on. One women from my facebook group has been in contact with Britains Hairest (sp?) Man who has agreed to a sponsored shave to generate more money and media interest. A number of us, have also contacted The Mirror, The Sun, and This Morning, Loose Women, blah blah to raise awareness. Give them something different to concentrate on, instead of the usual, 'what posh is wearing' 'who jordan is slagging off' dirge.

I think this is an issue about children that we can actually do something about, instead of feeling helpless with horrible stories around on people treating children horribly. Righto, off to hassle some celebs on twitter about it, and my unsuspecting relatives..... totally shameless grin

eyetunes Sat 31-Oct-09 17:15:22

350.000 now. That is brilliant!

noshouting Sat 31-Oct-09 19:50:32

Bumping for the generous evening mumsnetters.

mrswill Sat 31-Oct-09 20:00:18

Do you think it would be very cheeky of me to put something like this on the Chat topic?? I think more people are likely to see it on there. I usually dont like that sort of appeal (please give money etc), but she only has a very limited time left, so i think quick decisive shameless action is fair cop grin

I have asked Mumsnet this morning if i could do it, but they have yet to get back to me, which makes me think MNHQ wouldnt think it was that bad....

alwayslookingforanswers Sat 31-Oct-09 20:06:29

£392,000 when you click through to the donate page now!

madrose Sat 31-Oct-09 20:12:23

donated and bumped!

mrswill Sat 31-Oct-09 22:25:22

well ive just posted on chat, hope no one takes offence if their after a bit of light entertainment! Hope it doesnt get taken off...

aWitchForLifeNotJustHalloween Sat 31-Oct-09 22:28:07

good on ya for gettin it here girls

noshouting Sun 01-Nov-09 22:54:42

nOW AT £450,000 that is amazing !

mrswill Mon 02-Nov-09 20:19:32

Well, well, cowell has saved the day. Not only has he made saturday nights tolerable, since im not able to go out and piss it up like before. He now steps in with little sophie. Wonder how much he coughed up <<nosy>>. Good luck to her and her family.

eyetunes Tue 03-Nov-09 10:51:04

think they have done it as adding the 490 odd grand plus all the gift aid it takes them over the target. Absolutely wonderful to see. The terribly sad thing about all this is that sophie is just one of many...

LentilsRMe Tue 03-Nov-09 21:34:41

Simon Cowell saves the day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now