Talk

Advanced search

Parents banned from playground

(9 Posts)
MrsChemist Thu 29-Oct-09 20:12:11

I thought this would have been here by now.

Also reported on the Beeb

If "quite risky and challenging activities take place." then I think it would be in everyones' best interests for parents to keep a close eye on their own children, instead of leaving it up to a handful of vetted playworkers.
I take my nephew to the park, and I need eyes in the back of my head just to stop him doing something stupid, like leap off the slide. I certainly wouldn't trust someone to be looking after an indeterminate amount of children, for unstructured play, in a place deemed "quite risky".

Although, I bet there is more to this story than meets the eye (as with most news stories).

GrimmaTheNome Thu 29-Oct-09 20:17:10

Ludicrous. The mayor needs to read what Ofsted actually says:
'only people working with children needed to be checked, not all adults on the premises.

It added: 'We would never seek to prevent parents and carers having access to their own children.'

paisleyleaf Thu 29-Oct-09 20:17:24

LOL at the comment underneath from Adam Burns , Manchester.

cat64 Thu 29-Oct-09 20:17:46

Message withdrawn

southeastastralbeing Thu 29-Oct-09 20:19:00

i was kind of glad not to see the story on mn if i'm honest. totally blown out of all proportion.

read statement from watford council down the page

MrsChemist Thu 29-Oct-09 20:28:59

I would like to hear from someone local as well.
I'd like to know if parents are not allowed to watch from the other side of the fence (unless it's a big fence) as the article suggests, because (if I remember from my days as a young child) parents aren't allowed to roam around Softplay willy nilly, they have to sit on the sidelines, but they can still watch IYSWIM.

Kevlarhead Mon 02-Nov-09 22:48:08

[[http://www.liberalconspiracy.org/2009/10/29/mail-caught-out-on-plaground-paedophiles-story/ Ha ha! </Nelson Muntz>

edam Mon 02-Nov-09 22:58:11

Their media spokesman is wrong about CRB checks being done by the police - the clue's in the name, i.e. Criminal Records Bureau.

Seems to be a case of confusion - this is about an adventure play scheme, not an ordinary playground.

Kevlarhead Mon 02-Nov-09 23:09:15

Ha ha! </Nelson Muntz>

Oh FFS, what's wrong with me tonight?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now