Talk

Advanced search

Paedophile nursery worker names some of her victims

(20 Posts)
Lilyloooohhhh Thu 29-Oct-09 13:33:04

[[http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8331284.stm here'' I guess it stops the endless wondering for some parents but wonder if the not knowing was better for those who have had it confirmed now sad

Lilyloooohhhh Thu 29-Oct-09 13:33:43

sorry

mamadiva Thu 29-Oct-09 13:39:50

BBC link

mamadiva Thu 29-Oct-09 13:44:48

Just heard this on the news, some of the parents have said it's made it worse as she's only identified 10 children and is refusing the rest shock

This woman and her side kicks are plain evil no other 2 ways about it not only did she abuse those children, she also betrayed the trust put in her and then she has the cheek to refuse the children and parents a chance to ensure their child gets the counselling etc if needed, if they do not know they were abused how can they be heped?

As far as I am concerned it does'nt matter if she names all of them she should not be given a more lenient sentence, what she has doen is cold and calculating and to me that is the most sickening aspect!

MonsterousNasalPustule Thu 29-Oct-09 13:46:44

I do wish we had capital punishment for cases like these.

Here's hopin gthat many of the children were to young to understand and have forgotten.

GypsyMoth Thu 29-Oct-09 13:53:32

if she's done it for a more lenient sentence,then i feel she has just named the first ten she could remember...possibly not even the real ones. does she know that policer have not before today positively identified any?

i think she has likely given the names of kids she didn't abuse...

mamadiva Thu 29-Oct-09 14:13:20

I just don't get the whole capital punishment argument. America has capital punishment there are just as many if not more murderers, rapists, paedophile's and other evils so clearly it does not work!

Many innocent people were killed under the death penalty because the authorities 'knew' they were guilty, I don't want that to happen again.

Less of the holiday camp prisons and more work camp style prisons, if anything a few years hard grafting for no money and minimum food/drink to keep up nutrition as well as a mattress on a floor to sleep on would scare the crap out of most people nowadays.

I can't imagine she would lie about that because surely they will examine the named children to check for signs?!

BooingTheBestICan Thu 29-Oct-09 14:36:20

I agree,no capital punishment but make our prisons harder.

Prisoners must work,& work damn hard for their board & no perks,no tv for example.

I read earlier in the week that prisoners food is much better than hospital patients,that isnt right.

I agree with the thought that this vile woman has just said 10 names to try & get a lenient sentance.

Those poor children & their families.

lljkk Thu 29-Oct-09 14:40:21

Aw come on, the threat of prison/death penalty/whatever punishment obviously makes no difference to people with this kind of mental illness. They do it because they have deeply internalised sick compulsions, not because they've thought it would be easy to get away with.

Hopefully there will be less of it in future because society has become more open about the possibility of child sex abuse, so it is easier for people to talk about the abuse they themselves suffered rather than bottle it up, letting it twist their own heads around and eventually making them into predators, too.

ZZZenAgain Thu 29-Oct-09 14:46:57

how awful

edam Thu 29-Oct-09 14:59:29

I doubt the poor parents will be able to rely on this scumbag's word. She's only naming names because the judge ordered her to before sentencing - and just giving the first ones of the top of her head.

lljkk, please don't try to make a link between twisted, horrible criminals and mental illness. Perfectly sane people do terrible things - their thinking may be abhorrent to you and I but that does not make them mentally ill and it is hugely unfair to people with real mental illnesses to tar them with this brush.

GypsyMoth Thu 29-Oct-09 15:00:01

i bet every parent checked their child for signs anyway....not a nice thing,but thats what most of us would do. nothing to see,so doesn't matter who she names.

EightiesChick Thu 29-Oct-09 15:14:58

I also am firmly against the death penalty but, like edam, I am doubtful about the idea that every person like this has a 'mental illness' - is it no longer considered possible that some people are just incredibly nasty and twisted? The 'person' in question seems to have been able to compartmentalise her life quite effectively, marriage and her own kids on one side, this on the other. That suggests a more calculating mindset to me than a mental health problem.

Makes me wonder how much the rate of offences would go down if a sentence for child abuse was automatically one of however many years' hard labour in the most inhospitable place possible [Daily Mail moment]

Agree, it will continue to be hard for all the parents. They will always be wondering how reliable any of this is.

edam Thu 29-Oct-09 15:22:12

She knew exactly what she was doing and that it was very wrong (as the tapes of the original police interview confirm). There is no question of mental illness - if there had been a shred of evidence, the defence would have raised it at her trial.

Bad - very, mad - no.

scarletlilybug Thu 29-Oct-09 15:32:19

It weouldn't surprise me in the slightest to find out that she has deliberately gave the wrong names, in some perverse desire to retain control of the whole situation. From what I understand, she has not shown any sign of remorse and has only started to give out names in the hope of a more lenient sentence. How can anyone belive a word she says?

mloo Thu 29-Oct-09 16:06:24

I don't understand how mental illness has to be separate from being "nasty and twisted". The vast majority of mentally ill people are not nasty or twisted, but obviously mental illness has that effect on some people. It's precisely because they are so mentally deranged, they are not going to be deterred by normal incentives (like not wanting to go to prison or not wanting to end up in an electric chair). My comments were in the context of whether those threats of punishment would have prevented this crime or future similar crimes.

Wanting to sexually hurt children is not a normal human mental state. There is obviously something pathologically wrong with people who do these things. And no, that does not mean that I think we should be especially 'kinder' to them, although they like everyone,were once innocent little children too. We are where we are now, they are a terrible risk to society.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Thu 29-Oct-09 17:18:30

mloo
mental illness is not the same thing as what you are describing. Peadophilia is a deviant sexual preference but it is something that is ingrained in a person's psyche. A person can be sexually attracted to children and be perfectly mentally well. Acting on paedophilic impulses is slightly different - a person must have a lack of empathy for others to carry out abuse. This could be part of a personality disorder that is a mental illness, but not necessarily, (and by no means all people with personality disorders are paedophiles - but often share a lack of empathy). Mental illness and predatory paedophilia are really very different.

edam Thu 29-Oct-09 17:26:11

mloo - you are making a logical error. You can't work backwards from event Y and assume anything about the motivation or mental state of perpetrator X. Abuse of a child does not = offender must be mentally ill.

Most people who harm other people are perfectly sane. If you are every unlucky enough to be hurt/attacked/raped/killed (God forbid) it's odds on the person responsible will be perfectly sane and know exactly what they are doing. However distorted their thinking, it may nor may not be insane in the sense of caused by a mental illness - and probably not.

Lilyloooohhhh Thu 29-Oct-09 21:21:20

It is a joke that naming her victims could mean a lesser sentence imo

scarletlilybug Fri 30-Oct-09 09:10:45

Possibly, if she had named her victims straight away, that might have shown some sort or remorse or guilt about what she had done, and perhaps justified a sentence marginally shorter than the long one which she will, I hope, receive.

Leaving the naming until just before sentencing suggests very cynical motives for doing so, and I do wonder whether she will be trurthful about what she says.

Poor parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now