Talk

Advanced search

Twice in a week the MOD, and the RAF have come under fire

(9 Posts)
Saltire Wed 28-Oct-09 22:18:24

But are the RAF to blame or the MOD and the Government? As the wife of a member of HM Forces, I have seen what budgets cuts have done. Surely they have a right to have proper working equipment and a consistent chain of command

edam Wed 28-Oct-09 22:22:03

are you talking about the Nimrod crash?

Thought it was interesting that the report apparently found a key problem was the MOD being more interested in adopting 'business' practices and chasing targets rather than worrying about trivial little matters like safety and air-worthiness.

Saltire Wed 28-Oct-09 22:29:58

Yes the Nimrod crash and also the report about the Puma crash in, I think, 2007, althoug it was more a lack of discipline and showing off than funding! (sorry if I offend anyone with the last comment).

Its a known fact among those of involved in military life - saving money is more important than the safety of our men and women serving their country, whether at home or in a war zone

edam Wed 28-Oct-09 22:32:23

think that's always been the case, though - have certainly read similar complaints going back to WW1.

Saltire Wed 28-Oct-09 22:34:59

It comes way down teh list of what the Government (and the publics) list of what is important.

hf128219 Wed 28-Oct-09 22:42:37

The Treasury is bankrupt so this is their lowest priority.

pointyhat Wed 28-Oct-09 22:53:28

This is a common complaint of all public sector departments. They are all feeling a mighty big pinch.

Saltire Wed 28-Oct-09 22:56:16

Pointy - I know, but people aren't dying in the majority of public sector jobs though! Maybe i just am a bit blinkered on it because of DH's job

herbietea Wed 28-Oct-09 22:58:46

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now