Talk

Advanced search

Date-rape drink spiking 'an urban legend'

(167 Posts)
LeninGhoul Tue 27-Oct-09 16:01:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TrillianSlasher Tue 27-Oct-09 16:07:40

I think there is a useful point buried in there somewhere - get to know what alcohol does to you, or else don't have so much alcohol that it does it!

LeninGhoul Tue 27-Oct-09 16:09:03

DuelingFANGo Tue 27-Oct-09 16:11:04

it's just another one of those articles trying to blame women for sex attacks I bet you(not read it yet) because everyone knows that if a sexual predator rapes or assaults you when you've had a drink then it's ot really his fault at all hmm

TrillianSlasher Tue 27-Oct-09 16:12:52

I wasn't thinking so much about actual date-rape cases, but those where people had a bad night and later claimed that their drink 'mst have been spiked' (possibly after vomiting on a friend's shoes, etc). Er, no, you just got very drunk. That's what alcohol does.

"Urban legend" is the wrong phraseology, but drink spiking is nowhere near as common as students seem to think.

nicnacinoonoo Tue 27-Oct-09 16:15:03

*The study, published in the British Journal of Criminology, found three-quarters of students identified drink spiking as an important risk

that such stories are exotic – like a more adult version of 'stranger danger'."*

*drink spiking stories have attractive features*

wow are they kidding with this, thats ridiculous. so woman shouldnt be careful about it now should they not just because they cant find any proof that it is common. the minute people stop being careful with there drinks is exactly when it is likely to happen, just because it may not be common doesnt mean there wont be that 1 time. we're always told not to think 'well it couldnt happen to me'

LeninGhoul Tue 27-Oct-09 16:15:16

witcheseve Tue 27-Oct-09 16:17:49

I agree that's what it's saying that a bad night is more likely to be caused by excessive alcohol than drink spiking.

nicnacinoonoo Tue 27-Oct-09 16:18:27

i like the second article very good points

RealityBites Tue 27-Oct-09 16:20:03

Message withdrawn

LeninGhoul Tue 27-Oct-09 16:21:59

choosyfloosy Tue 27-Oct-09 16:24:50

Yes but reality that's the thing - you haven't 'cried rape' have you, you just realised that you'd done something that you wouldn't have done unless you'd been drunk? Isn't that what most women in that situation feel and say?

I feel that the women who cry rape purely after regretting a drunken shag are as large a group as the ones who have a C-section because they are 'too posh to push'. i.e. I'd be amazed if there were more than a handful of women in the world in either category.

DuelingFANGo Tue 27-Oct-09 16:25:59

there are people out there, like me, who however drunk they get would never ever ever have sex with someone other than the person I am in a relationship with at that time.

But that's me. i don't do sex with strangers, one night stands etc. However I would like the freedon to drink if I want to without finding myself in a situation where someone tries to accuse me of being a willing participant in something I certainly would never do!

witcheseve Tue 27-Oct-09 16:27:27

Good post reality. I would like to think that a man wouldn't have sex with a very drunk woman but it's quite possible that he was as equally drunk and might have shown better judgement, himself, otherwise.

If a woman does have a blank about the last hour but knows she had sex with a stranger then I suppose it's going to cross your mind that perhaps a drug was slipped.

boodeniites Tue 27-Oct-09 16:42:07

my best friend when i was a teenager got very drunk at a hen party one night and blacked out i wasnt there or i would never have let her go out with the low life she then went on to have sex with she could remember nothing about it only what other people told her needless to say she became pregnant and went on to have a daughter to the complete and utter bastatrd who wasnt that drunk alledgedly thAT was 25 years ago times dont change much do they?

RealityBites Tue 27-Oct-09 17:16:05

Message withdrawn

CloudDragon Tue 27-Oct-09 18:28:29

though the article was badly written, it has a point. It is more likely that some nasty wanker is going to take advantage of a very drunk woman than drugging her. And if it is believed that it is more important to protect yourself from date-rape drugs than not drinking to much it is important to get that message across.

It is frightening to drive around a city centre late at night, around here I see 100s of women literally staggering down the road. Sick bastards do not to go to the trouble of doping people up sadly.

InSync Tue 27-Oct-09 18:59:50

I agree with RealityBites.

I know 2 people: one who passed out outside a bar and ended up in hospital, and one who slept with someone she didn't really intend to sleep with after a night out, but couldn't really remember what had happened in the morning.

In both cases they claimed they had been spiked, in both cases the hospital said they hadn't - they'd had just had too much to drink.

So I think women really do underestimate the effects of alcohol, and think drink spiking is a more regular occurrence than it really is.

But that doesn't mean there aren't rapists out there who may take advantage of drunk women

HerBewitcheditude Tue 27-Oct-09 19:04:43

Some of the responses to the counter-article were par for the course weren't they? Funny how respectable Telegraph readers are so frightened that rapist's freedom to rape women might be threatened. Women "crying rape", charge every woman who makes a false allegation, blah blah blah. You'd think there was an 85% conviction rate or something, the way they carry on.

LittleWhiteWereWolf Tue 27-Oct-09 19:12:58

That is a very badly written article, which I think wanted to be "have more awareness of what drinking does rather than just blaming a rough night on spiked drinks" sort of thing...

Quite frankly the rape aspect has nothing to do with that message, which is a good one. Its great that women are being more careful with their drinks to avoid having them spiked, but its a bad thing when they drink excessively only to blame the effects on drugs.

Gonna read the second article now...

LuluDanceOnMyGrave Tue 27-Oct-09 19:15:25

I have a close friend who went out with another friend, they each had one drink and were almost falling asleep, luckily her partner worked at the club (although not that night) and people there knew her and looked after her. The hospital confirmed the presence of GHB by blood test when she finally woke up the next AFTERNOON. It's not uncommon round here sadly, most cases seem to involve US airmen from the local base. Definitely not an urban legend.

MarthaFarquhar Tue 27-Oct-09 19:24:34

DH is a detective, and part of his role is investigating sexual assaults in a very busy city centre.

He believes that while spiking drinks with chemicals is not common, many women are having their drinks spiked with alcohol.

clam Tue 27-Oct-09 19:41:10

My niece had an unpleasant experience, when she felt suddenly unwell and, fortunately, managed to get to the ladies. Some time later, her friends found her and got her into a taxi home. My sister was prepared to be cross, thinking she'd just been drunk, except that she still had all her money in her purse, and had just had the one drink bought for her by this unknown guy just before she passed out.
The police were called and said that they'd received several similar callouts that evening.

TrillianSlasher Tue 27-Oct-09 19:45:50

Lulu - that description is useful, it shows what actual drug-spiking of drinks really does. Quite different from the effects of too much to drink.

mamalovesmojitos Tue 27-Oct-09 21:14:37

my drink was spiked a number of years ago. after my second drink i was incoherent and could not walk properly or speak. as it was new year's eve in a busy pub i was presumed drunk. my friends did bring me home and i was fine but people found it hard to believe me when i told them that i hadn't been drinking heavily. was very scary and upsetting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now