Talk

Advanced search

Increasing number of women being diagnosed with Down's syndrome babies - front page of The Telegraph today

(67 Posts)
TelegraphArticle Tue 27-Oct-09 15:51:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 27-Oct-09 15:53:43

there was something on Today on R4 this morning too - the mum talking on that was very good

adriennemole Tue 27-Oct-09 22:05:58

I've been following this story today as my little boy was diagnosed with DS prenatally last year and must say the Telegraph have done pretty well with their report (lovely picture BTW smile). I was a bit disappointed with the BBC's coverage both on radio 4 and the online comments page which referred to 'down's babies' <sigh>

Habbibu Tue 27-Oct-09 22:14:38

I thought the quote on R4 - that more research needs to be done on why people refuse testing - was really odd. I mean, why? Also got irritated with John Humphreys trying to get the woman from ARC to take a moral stance - that's absolutely not the point of ARC.

MaryAnnSingleton Wed 28-Oct-09 07:38:45

John Humphreys annoys me anyway..he does badger without always knowing...

sherby Wed 28-Oct-09 07:51:48

"But only around 70 per cent of women who are screened will have an amino"

Is that number right? It seems very high

TelegraphArticle Wed 28-Oct-09 08:43:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sarah293 Wed 28-Oct-09 09:24:58

Message withdrawn

2shoescreepingthroughblood Wed 28-Oct-09 09:35:31

riven that is sad, I wonder when people will just realise you get what you are given.

BarbieLovesKen Wed 28-Oct-09 09:40:15

92% cant believe that. Find it very sad.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 28-Oct-09 09:41:51

There was a chat on 5Live yesterday about this too. I think it's still available online. I was annoyed because there was a guy on who said that given the choice between having a baby with Down's or a healthy child people would choose the healthy child. He didn't seem to see that isn't the choice that's on offer; that a negative screening for Down's didn't guarantee a healthy child. And I think that's a common misconception - baby doesn't have Down's so must be healthy. What about the myriad of non-tested for problems and those that occur during the birthing process?

sarah293 Wed 28-Oct-09 09:45:46

Message withdrawn

eidsvold Wed 28-Oct-09 11:00:40

IT is interesting to note that those who have a prenatal diagnosis - where there is an experience of down syndrome - know families or individuals - the mother is more than 66% likely to continue with the pregnancy BUT yes - 92%.

When dd1 was born in 2001 - that was the first year that more pregnancies of children with ds were terminated than children with ds were born.

eidsvold Wed 28-Oct-09 11:03:52

this originally had a pic of dd1 before they got the video up - doing her bit for BBC luckily we did not terminate or bbc would have to look for another babe to stick up with articles until they can get interviews.

eidsvold Wed 28-Oct-09 11:05:17

scroll down for the pic that was originally with the BBC article.

minxofmancunia Wed 28-Oct-09 11:12:12

we had no screening for dd our first, we were having a baby, and what would be would be.

However we did have screening done privately for pg no 2 (now 5 week old ds-adorable!) as we wanted to know what the risk was and think about the impact having a potentially downs syndrome child may have on dds quality of life and the implications re her becoming their carer at some point.

However I knew as time grew closer to the test that i wouldn't be able to terminate if the results were high risk. Esp since just having had a mc previously. It made me feel quite anxious knowing this strangely but I told myself whatever the odds we would have our child and care for him/her as best as we could.

ds was low risk and so far has been fine but as others have said there are many things you can't screen for and he may well develop difficulties at any stage of his development.

I too think a 92% termination rate is v v sad sad

posieparksherbroom Wed 28-Oct-09 11:17:19

This maybe a hijack but possibly a good place to ask.
There's a boy in yr 5 at my dss school, he has DS. I think it's fantastic that he is in a mainstream school but wonder if this is a benefit. He is always alone, noone plays with him. Should I raise it with the school?

2shoescreepingthroughblood Wed 28-Oct-09 11:17:55

I had no screening with dd, only the bog standard triple test(all clear) one extra scan as I was ill...........
and she has CP!!
testing just lulls people into a full sense of security imo, and makes them think they have a choice.
I wish all the money wasted ion these tests could be used in the maternity units?wards to make giving birth safer

2shoescreepingthroughblood Wed 28-Oct-09 11:18:38

posieparksherbroom post in SN

bamboo Wed 28-Oct-09 11:20:59

Eidsvold, I saw the original link with your dd on and was sure I "knew" her from here! Not a recent photo, then?

cece Wed 28-Oct-09 11:26:44

I am shock at 92%.

Had DS2 5 months ago at the age of 42 and refused all testing.

EldonAve Wed 28-Oct-09 11:31:32

Screening itself is a postcode lottery
Nuchal scans aren't offered nationwide

tinkerbellesmuse Wed 28-Oct-09 11:37:57

Forgive my ignorance but is the problem with terming babies as "down's babies" that you are lumping them all together or that you are not seeing them as anything other than a baby with down's or is the name down's itself no longer appropriate?

giveloveachance Wed 28-Oct-09 11:46:39

I had the nuchal scan and was told the risk was high, they offered amnio but I just could not live with the risk of miscarriage from the procedure - and I knew whatever the result I wouldn't have an abortion. I had the 20 week scan and saw it more as preparation for the future, if they found something wrong then I would try to be as best prepared as possible once the baby was born. DD was fine.

some of my friends and family thought i was foolhardy not to test and foolhardy in my determination that i would not abort anyway.

So I wonder if many of the 92% of women are also subjected to this type of pressure, especially when its a second child. I am not even pregnant but i still get offered the 'advice' that if I was, and it proved to be ds then I must think of DD and the affect on her of having a ds sibling.

mangosTrickyrice Wed 28-Oct-09 11:54:26

Yep, 92% of pregnancies terminated is huge. And means that fewer people grow up with any experience of people with Down's, so that when they get pregnant and have 'bad' test results they're more likely to terminate...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now