Talk

Advanced search

Do you ever think about how much personal info your Mobile Phone holds?

(8 Posts)
WartoScreamo Mon 26-Oct-09 12:47:27

Interesting articleArticle here

Gave me a bit of food for thought! I already worried about my iPod Touch - which accesses my emails/facebook/IM etc without having to put in any passwords. I've activated the screen lock!

sarah293 Mon 26-Oct-09 12:49:19

Message withdrawn

lou33 Mon 26-Oct-09 13:14:59

i dont use my phone for anything requiring internet access

calls texts and pics only

maybe i should check my pics and texts tho ....

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Mon 26-Oct-09 13:19:10

Yes, this is why I delete all my texts on a regular basis. If I used it to access FB/email it would be passworded. I never click 'remember me' on such sites... just asking for trouble IMO.

MmeGoblindt Tue 27-Oct-09 08:25:52

Oh, very interesting.

I have lots of info on my iPhone. I do not use it to check bank accounts or anything sensitive but there is a fair bit of personal info on there that I would not like anyone else to get hold of.

If my iPhone were to be stolen, I can remotely reset it.

Funnily enough, there was an article recently about banks not allowing their staff to use iPhones, they had to use Blackberrys as they were seen to be more secure.

WartoScreamo Tue 27-Oct-09 08:49:06

I never access home banking or anything from the iPod. I guess it would be simple enough to change all my passwords if anything happened to it.

marenmj Tue 27-Oct-09 11:26:47

but blackberrys are more secure

the iphone screen lock is easily bypassed (or was a few months ago - have they updated it?)

a blackberry on a server can require a password that cannot be forced (enter it wrong ten times and the handset is wiped)

everything going to and from it is encrypted and they can do various kinds of encrypted email.

it is possible to have unsecure data, but once it is put on a coroporate server it can all be managed from the server and unsecure traffic, like internet, can be disabled.

if my blackberry was stolen I could have it remotely bricked in under two minutes and permanently disabled in under five.

you may find though, that govt and banker blackberrys are special models that don't have cameras or bluetooth and require special security measure (ie, smartcards that have to be within a certain distance of the device for it to allow a password to be entered)

marenmj Tue 27-Oct-09 11:31:40

should add, I have had my blackberry stolen before and have just bricked mine and had to start from naught again (waiting on my IT helpdesk for a password to activate [grrr])

recently my personal phone has kicked off. The amount of personal info on there was plenty for me to be sad about. Not that some random person would care about my contacts' numbers, but there were a lot in there that I don't know how I will recover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now