Single parents targeted in welfare crackdown

(93 Posts)
LeninGhoul Mon 26-Oct-09 07:36:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thesouthsbelle Mon 26-Oct-09 07:40:54

yup easy target again attack us single parents angry

off to read it now.

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 26-Oct-09 07:53:25

I was a single parent (non-working - my children were younger) for a time and I don't actuall think it's that's unreasonable.

They're not "cracking down" - being on JSA doesn't mean you lose any benefits.

And by the time your youngest child is 10yrs old I actually don't see any reason why someone can't be looking for work.

And lets face it - by 10yrs+ old there's not actually much "caring" required with kids (lots of supervision needed still, but actually caring for them and doing stuff for them......nah - not judging by my 9yr old).

Espeicially as they're at school from 9-3 every day.

CarGirl Mon 26-Oct-09 07:59:20

I think someone posted the other week saying they want you to work 16 hours or more per week.

Whilst I think as a general rule once the youngest is 7 it's not unreasonable to expect parents to work if they need to financially (single parent or not) having term time only school hours is surely absolutely ideal. Let's face it the cost of childcare during school holidays is so high wthe governement would end up paying for most it of in CTC childcare supplements anyway!

I really hope that your job qualifies you to be left alone Lenin.

LeninGhoul Mon 26-Oct-09 08:10:54

GhoulsAreLoud Mon 26-Oct-09 08:14:15

I caught a snippet of this on the news so don't know much about it. I wondered why they chose 10 then, is that what the govt consider a reasonable age for a child to be left alone? It seems quite arbitary to me.

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 26-Oct-09 08:16:27

well if you work less than 16hrs a week then you're screwed finanicially that's where WTC kick in.

I'm still undecided on the drop to 7yrs. That depends on the area that someone lives in - as in some areas childcare for children that age can be horrendous to find, too young to be left alone/walk to from school on their own etc etc so I'm shades of grey on that one.

But I do think that 10 is ok..

And they're not saying "right get out the door and go and and work NOW" - they're saying "start looking for a job"........which I really don't think is that unreasonable. If ou don't find a job that's suitable then you keep getting your JSA.

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 26-Oct-09 08:21:56

Depends on what you mean by "left alone" - I'm sure most children by the age of 10 have been left alone/gone out for short times on their own.

No-one is saying "get out there and work 48hrs a week and never see your child. They're saying "look they're 10" - perhaps you should be starting to think about work......

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 26-Oct-09 08:26:56

gah I need coffee and nicotine - I'm not talking much sense blush.

LeninGhoul Mon 26-Oct-09 08:28:30

MrsMorgan Mon 26-Oct-09 08:32:28

This applies to me from next Oct. I do think that by the time your youngest child is 7 then you could actually be looking for job.

Thee thing is though, just because they shove you onto job seekers and make people look for jobs doesn't mean they will be able to get one.

I have been job hunting for ages and because I can't be 100% flexible employers don't want to know.

Targeting single mums is fine if they are going to sort out the problem of weekend/evening childcare first.

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 26-Oct-09 08:32:51

well if you mean left at home all day then no they shouldn't - but I think a short time at home on their own is fine (not talking about being latch key kids - talking in general here about 10yrs regardless of family set up being left for a while)

Most areas have after school clubs which can accommodate children that age if the parent ended up taking a job that was very long hours.

MrsMorgan Mon 26-Oct-09 08:36:27

Before and ater school clubs - You can't leave them before 8am and can't pick up any later than 6, so that rules out early morning jobs and late evening jobs.

No weekend childcare rules out any job where you need to work weekends unless you have family to rely on.

How many jobs do people know of where there are no early mornings, late evenings or weekends involved ??

The last interview I went for was in a cafe. I said I had no problem with whatever hours they wanted me to work in the week, but at the weekend I could only work one weekend shift (ie not a sat &sun). They said thanks but no thanks.

LeninGhoul Mon 26-Oct-09 08:37:44

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 26-Oct-09 08:42:29

Welll being on JSA doesn't mean you have to apply for ANY job that's going. You tell them what you need and come to an agreement with what you're looking for. Obviously a little flexibility (ie 9-3 rather than saying 10-2) is expected is expected but they certainly don't expect you to apply for shift work/night work etc where it would simply be impossible.

It's really quite simple - if you can't find a job that's suitable (reasonable - got to be realistic I think not expect the dream 10-2 hours) then you keep going and signing on once a fortnight.

I doubt they'd deem that you'd made yourself intentionally unemployed - DH was fired from his job (stupid reason - but his "offence" was classed as gross misconduct by his company) and was able to claim JSA straight away.

Tortington Mon 26-Oct-09 08:48:35

yes there can be many many problems regarding childcare- but its the same problems that those with two working parents negotiate everyday. if you want to keep your job you have to be reliable - you make thse things work. yes there will be those in society that live in complete isolation - who do not have access to afterschool clubs and no family support and no friends to support them...but the vast ajority of us do have access to some kind of support network - a friend who could step in, an older child, a neighbour. it's not ideal maybe - but it is workable

i think its a fallacy to say that the majoirty of single parents do not have access to some kind of club or support network.

i also think its untrue to suggest that the jobs simply aren't there

they are. nope your not going to work in the city or be a doctor or a laywer, but they are there. I am a serial job lurker, in the locla council and county council there are always admin jobs and cleaning jobs, within an hours public transport are 3 large towns, all have some admin/cleaning/other job available.

HerBewitcheditude Mon 26-Oct-09 08:56:47

Custy yes most LPs do have access to some sort of support network. Which is why most of them work. (80%)

The hard core who don't, are necessarily going to be the ones who don't have access. That's the problem.

I think it's reasonable that people should have to look for jobs once their DC's are a certain age, but I'm not sure about 10 - that's a transition year for primary/ secondary, it might actually be better to have it at either 9 or 11.

And yes I'm wondering about childcare for Year 7 children. Was going to start a thread actually. In fact, will go off to do so.

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 26-Oct-09 08:58:39

err no 80% of lone parents aren't working - the 80% is those who are working or who want to work.

Tortington Mon 26-Oct-09 09:00:18

source your statistics girls - c'mon you know better than that!

HerBewitcheditude Mon 26-Oct-09 09:01:08

oh read it wrong.

I thought it was a bit high, I vaguely remember a figure around 70%.

Which is higher than married/ partnered women AFAIK.

MrsMorgan Mon 26-Oct-09 09:02:58

I do have access to help from family, but even with that I have still not been able to find a job. As I said further down, the last job I applied for wanted me to agree to be able to work Sat&sun every week and I just could not do that because xp will only have the kids one day or other and my mum works weekends.

Custy - Yes there are jobs out there, but the majority are in retail sector and so they will want you to be 100% flexible.

My dc are nearly 12, 10 and 7. I would allow the 12 yr old so come home to an empty house and stay on her own for an hour or so but not the others.

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 26-Oct-09 09:03:52

Custy - I took my 80% info from the article linked in the OP

<<<<<<considers her wrists slapped>>>>>>

Tortington Mon 26-Oct-09 09:04:16

the article says 60% single parents under ten

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 26-Oct-09 09:04:22

MrsMorgan - it's a bummer you haven't found a job yet - but does that mean you shouldn't be looking??

HerBewitcheditude Mon 26-Oct-09 09:05:21

No sorry it's all coming back to me. It's 70% of LP's with children over 11.

Not sure what the figure is for all lp's - somewhere between 50 adn 60% I think (not sure how that compares with the average).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now