Talk

Advanced search

Bonnie Greer on Nick Griffin

(6 Posts)
spokette Sun 25-Oct-09 09:02:12

Article from Bonnie about one of the wierdest and creepiest experiences of her life.

I thought she was magnificent on Question Time. She was gracious, serene and displayed the cool disdain that made Griffin look like an over-stuff schoolboy who was well out of his league and class.

On another note, I cannot believe she is 60 years old. She is absolutely wonderfulsmile

Kathyis12feethighandbites Sun 25-Oct-09 09:50:43

Yes, I thought she was great too.
Her poise and humour somehow made him seem diminished more than the outrage of the other panellists did.

Strange comment from Minette Marrin in Times today accusing her of emotionalism - I thought her responses were the most intellectual of all the panel.

sayanything Sun 25-Oct-09 10:12:48

Can't stand Minette Marrin, I find her prissy and often bordering on misogynistic.

Bonnie Greer on the other hand, was wonderful. And a lot calmer and rational in her responses than I would have been faced with that vile oaf.

spokette Sun 25-Oct-09 11:00:57

Emotionalism? Marrin obviously watched a different QT to the one I watched.hmm

The only time Bonnie got really animated is when the vile pig claimed that the KKK leader was non-violent and Bonnie told to stop talking BS.

Kathyis12feethighandbites Sun 25-Oct-09 11:09:12

Quite Spokette.
From the Marrin piece:
' And, finally, it was quite astonishing, in an important and contentious national event of this kind, to choose a panellist who doesn’t seem to represent anything British very much, although she was naturalised in 1997.
What was the point of having the American-born-and-raised writer Bonnie Greer? Actually we can guess, I regret to say, and the point will not be lost upon the BNP. She was there to be black and to emote against Griffin, which she did with an offensively silly flamboyance.'

Er, no, she was there because she is damn intelligent and able to talk with sophistication about race and other things. And as an actual immigrant to this country who grew up somewhere else but now has British citizenship she represents a fairly important strand of Britishness....
Not to mention that as deputy chair of the British Museum she works with an institution that is currently busy working through issues around the nature of Britishness in the world context. angry angry

Mamazonabroomstick Sun 25-Oct-09 11:18:17

let us not be fooled.
BG was there because she is an intelligent, articulate and successful black woman. the type of person that belies most of what dick Griffin says.

I didn't think she came across badly but she was unable to offer anything to the polictical debate other than prove DG to be an illeducated buffoon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now