Talk

Advanced search

I shed a wee tear at this - what an inspiring man

(21 Posts)
ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 24-Oct-09 08:50:32

[[http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/oct/24/frank-whipple-millwall-single-dad ]]

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 24-Oct-09 08:51:36

Why didn't that work? try again

WinkyWinkola Sat 24-Oct-09 09:27:56

That really is a lovely story!

hippipotamiHasLost72lbs Sat 24-Oct-09 09:34:56

What a lovely story - and what a brilliant man!

purepurple Sat 24-Oct-09 09:35:37

What a wonderful man.

posieparksherbroom Sat 24-Oct-09 09:44:29

How lovely.

MmeGoblindt Sat 24-Oct-09 09:50:47

What a fantastic story, that brought a tear to my eyes

girlsyearapart Sat 24-Oct-09 09:52:02

Lovely to read a nice story for once.

Lump in throat at 'Peggy is my treasure and my joy'.

sarah293 Sat 24-Oct-09 09:55:08

Message withdrawn

notyummy Sat 24-Oct-09 09:56:12

Really, really special man. What an interesting and full life - for both of them.

Mamazonabroomstick Sat 24-Oct-09 10:08:36

made my eyes wet that did. that was my grandad - not this man obviously, but a very similar story.

My grandad died when he was 76 but for the previous 17 years since my grans death he had cared for my auntie. she was deaf, mute, had what most called downs syndrome but wasn't quite, she had a rough mental age of that of a 3 year old. she needed help with virtually every aspect of her life and her communicative ability was minimal.

She was violant towards my grandad often but still he loved her and would secretly cry at the strain of caring for her.
but he would never ever consider placing her in residential care.
even when he was suffering with terminal cancer he was still reluctant. He only agreed because he wanted to make sure she was found a good home prior to his passing so that he knew she was safe and happy.

people like my grandad and Mr whimple make a mockery of Hollander and her "bravery"

motherbeyond Sat 24-Oct-09 10:17:48

isn't that lovely?what a man !

Wonderstuff Sat 24-Oct-09 10:22:59

Wonderful story, thanks for linking that.
Restores faith in humanity doesn't it.

My grandfather was a do anything for anyone, always happy to type. At his funeral they sumed it up with 'if he could, he would'

Inspiring.

Kayzr Sat 24-Oct-09 12:04:03

That is an amazing story. It is so sweet, brought a tear to my eye.

cocolepew Sat 24-Oct-09 12:08:29

Lovely story.

Norfolkbumpkin Sat 24-Oct-09 12:59:14

A really heartwarming story, brings a tear to my eye....

francaghostohollywood Sat 24-Oct-09 13:06:36

Lovely family. ANd I loved "pension is not a benefit, pension is a right". Go Frank go!!!!

theworldsgoneDMmad Sat 24-Oct-09 13:13:20

What a guy

macdoodle Sun 25-Oct-09 10:06:37

How lovely - I do so wish there were more people in the world like that - small tear in my eye here too

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Sun 25-Oct-09 10:24:06

ok i full on blubbed, that is amazing. He is a fantastic person, a wonderful father.

am going to send it to my husband with a note "stop moaning about your life and read this"

bless you Frank and Peggy

JJsandcat Thu 29-Oct-09 10:27:36

What an inspiring story. This makes me really teary-eyed. He is an outstanding soul and Peggy is very lucky to have such an amazing father.

I do think though it is another generation. You don't find so many people like him anymore, who are willing to sacrifice part of their lives for someone else, who live in their communities and actually care about the bigger picture, not just themselves.

My Mum was born in 1938, also like that, very selfless and hard working. She has seen so much hardship, in bomb shelters as a toddler, queuing for bread and basic necessities, etc. Her generation and before her, they seem so much more hardy, a real get-on-with-it attitude.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now