Talk

Advanced search

The REAL story of Sam Cam's M&S Dress

(13 Posts)
Bleh Fri 23-Oct-09 13:00:58

What controversy. Also, why did she qualify for staff discount? Is there something I'm missing?

RubyrubyrubysAScaryOldBint Fri 23-Oct-09 13:03:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jux Fri 23-Oct-09 14:03:40

I hate M&S. They treat their suppliers like shit. I haven't spent any money in their shops for at least 25 years.

LIZS Fri 23-Oct-09 14:05:44

haha I can just imagine the buyers running around in circles over this! The real "sample" would have been snapped up long ago .

mrsbaldwin Fri 23-Oct-09 15:24:26

I can't believe that no-one in M&S noticed that they were about to sack off/had sacked off the supplier when they asked for the sample. When I read the article I thought this is a classic of the fashion bit of the PR dept doesn't know what the corporate bit is doing and vice versa. Anyway two useful outcomes:
1) thrifty 'normal woman' fake SamCam is blown out of the water for at least five minutes (I especially liked the bit of the article about when she sees Stuart Rose at a party and asks him for the dress)
2) and the dress designer is now doing a range for John Lewis. I quite liked that M&S dress so I shall definitely have a look at her new range

Bleh Fri 23-Oct-09 15:29:26

That'll teach the Conservative leadership to try and be down with the peeps.

MmeGoblindt Fri 23-Oct-09 15:30:36

LOL at the fact that when she asked about the dress she was wearing Vivienne Westwood. Bet that cost more than £65.

I don't understand why such a fuss was made about it, it is not as if her DH was wearing a £100 suit from M&S.

Must have a look at the JL range.

Kathyis12feethighandbites Fri 23-Oct-09 17:09:49

Maybe they haven't learnt their lesson. Maybe at the next party conference we will see Sam Cam wearing a designer knock-off of a Primark or New Look original.

nancy75 Sat 24-Oct-09 10:13:14

she didn't know that they had to make the dress, and no doubt they would have done the same for sarah brown

verySCREEEAAAMlawn Sat 24-Oct-09 10:17:42

Love the fact that she paid M and S for the dress despite the fact that they got it for free from the supplier - BUT - it's the staff discount bit that raised eyebrows with me - it's one thing for M and S to toadie to a politician's wife, but why was she entitled to the discount?

mrsbaldwin Sat 24-Oct-09 19:40:04

Nancy75 - you are right, she didn't know and sure M&S would have done the same for Mrs Brown or any of the others.

IMO the Tories' 'the Camerons are just normal like you and me' media strategy has been working very well, partly through the good offices of the women's magazines printing loads of 'look here's SamCam in her Primark shoes' photos.

But because I'm not inclined to the Tories I'm entertained that this mistake has just for a moment messed up the 'I may be a baronet's daughter and run a firm that sells (very nice) £1k handbags but look I shop on the high street' vibe.

I was wondering why the supplier took so long to go to the press actually - but then it occurred to me they were probably in the middle of clinching the new deal with John Lewis and have now signed the contract.

RamblingRosa Wed 28-Oct-09 08:13:30

I have this dress and am so mortified that Sam Cam wore it. I've only worn it once since she wore it and I just got the p*ss taken out of me so much that I'm seriously considering selling it on ebay.

It's such a shame because it's a lovely dress. In fact, I think it was my favourite dress. But it will forever be Sam Cam's M&S dress now

bobthebuddha Wed 28-Oct-09 14:14:47

Let's look at it another way - it's hopefully a happy ending for the supplier unceremoniously dumped by M&S isn't it? She ran the dress up as a goodwill gesture in the hope of regaining business. According to the Times M&S didn't even acknowledge the gift. And then charged Samantha Cameron for the dress! It's a bit odd that Mrs Cameron gets all the stick for this when it should be targeted at M&S for appearing to be such utter shits.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now