Talk

Advanced search

'fat' children put into care

(52 Posts)
sarah293 Thu 22-Oct-09 10:55:47

Message withdrawn

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Thu 22-Oct-09 11:02:33

There must be more to it that the fact they're overweight. Especially to take a newborn baby into care there must be evidence of abuse/neglect within the family. It's really sad sad

BobbingForPeachys Thu 22-Oct-09 11:07:01

I am assuming thre'smoe as well- I hope so,as I canonly imagine how it owuld feel to have my baby taken from me.

Two were taken earlier,abd she sounded so sad- I hope they triedeverything else first,plenty of family support etc.

DuelingFANGo Thu 22-Oct-09 11:11:07

the article seems to suggest that there is more to do with this than their weight "The local authority said any decision to remove children from their family would not be made solely on the basis of a their weight"

DuelingFANGo Thu 22-Oct-09 11:15:47

more here hmm

Stigaloid Thu 22-Oct-09 11:21:04

I read this with horror, however i also think that raising children to be obese is wrong. But not as wrong as removing children from their parents. Shocking story.

DuelingFANGo Thu 22-Oct-09 11:22:20

sometimes children are better odd when they are removed from their parents. There are probably other issues here. The papers will only report it from the 'fat' angle because all the details of the case can't be released.

DuelingFANGo Thu 22-Oct-09 11:22:56

off not odd!

StretchStinkyandFatso Thu 22-Oct-09 11:25:19

That can't be the whole story!

JollyPirate Thu 22-Oct-09 11:37:11

There WILL be other issues here as well. SWs don't JUST remove babies/children without good reason ..... yada yada what's the point? Some MNers evidently HATE SWs and will believe everything they read in the news.

BobbingForPeachys Thu 22-Oct-09 11:38:17

RIght so purely on thata rticle and nothing else-

FFS

it's OK for my ds1 to knock me unconscious weekly but not for kids to fight? (SSD won't give us disabled children support).

See, from my experience of ssd that doesn't sound right, but tehy c n't report family court info. I just pray that if the children are well loved and cared for they can go home- obesity is something that is in need of a solution in children but not to the extent of acre proceedings.

RainRainGoAway Thu 22-Oct-09 11:44:10

There is so much more to this story than written.
The parents are able t put their side accross with emotive language but the SWs are made to use 'official speak' and will never be allowed to put their side across properly due to confidentiality.
I would be interested to know what the other reasons are seen to be rather than just a crappy statement and the parents side only.

lilyjen Thu 22-Oct-09 11:50:46

Apparentley the family were given a lot of support (and taxpayers money) to educate and support them before anyone went into care and were given a lot of time to change their lifestyle for the sake of the children. The parents knew they would be taken into care if they didn't do anything about it so they did have a choice so I guess it's whether or not it was a fair choice..sometimes kids die from obesity-it is a form of neglect really to allow your children to become so overweight. I don't know what I think but I do think it's a shame.

clop Thu 22-Oct-09 12:18:21

Scottish Sun says that the Council spent £100k+ trying to help this family before taking them into care; I read somewhere that the eldest boy weighs 16 stone. Scotsman (can't link to full article) says that SS worked with the family for a year before reaching taking this action. Doesn't sound like a hasty decision, anyway!

BobbingForPeachys Thu 22-Oct-09 12:23:02

The amount spent is alrgely itrrelevant compared toteh cost of care for 7kids (esp.with lifetime factors such as increased risk of unemployment,even prison).

Either they were directly abusing their kids or not. Obesity as a standalone would certainly mean a few famillies I know losing their kids- good, nice famillies. It must be mroe.

cory Thu 22-Oct-09 12:25:09

If the children's health is at serious risk from obesity and the parents are not following doctors' advice (""Yes, I give them everything they want because I love them in every way" doesn't sound tremendously reassuring), then is the situation that different from children whose parents refuse to give them medication or see a doctor because of religious views? Remember the outcry a couple of weeks ago against that family in Oregon whose child died because they took her to prayer meetings rather than to the doctor? WHo would want to be the social worker the day one of those kids becomes seriously ill?

clayre Thu 22-Oct-09 12:30:20

ohhh they live near my gran and grandad and they they nothing good to say about them as a family

BobbingForPeachys Thu 22-Oct-09 12:30:49

But is a child at morerisk from obesity than the care system?

There's no final answer there, but a lot of debate to be had around it.

There is a difference from the Oregon case btw- because obesity is remediable at a later date (though that is hard I know) and ups risks factors rather than guarantees anything; whereas witholding meds or avoding medical help actively causes death in some situations.

cory Thu 22-Oct-09 12:33:00

Obesity may be remediable from a later age but some of the consequences (such as diabetes) may not.

BobbingForPeachys Thu 22-Oct-09 12:35:57

Possible consequences though, there are no guarantees after all. Another one ios cancer- obseity is a risk factor- but only that, a risk factor.

There are plenty of people like my Dad (18 stone, so same as the dad) still working well past 65.

There ahve to be ways around this;even if its keeping the kids at some kind of after school provision for meals etc. But thats back down to the secrecy of the famuily courts- and the fact we don't know the true story

edam Thu 22-Oct-09 12:37:37

I do hope there is a lot more to this than obesity alone - and it sounds like from this thread, thankfully.

It's all very well to say obesity is a health problem yadda yadda yadda but you can't take children away from their parents just because you disapprove of one aspect of their family life. Otherwise SS would have to swoop on people who use Toddler Taming and tie rope around bedroom door handles, people who use controlled crying, anyone who weans early - where would it stop? All of these could be argued as safety or health or emotional problems.

Apart from anything else, the system would collapse if every overweight child was taken into care...

edam Thu 22-Oct-09 12:41:39

Mind you, you'd hope that £100k has been spent on interventions that have been shown to actually help people who are morbidly obese. Stuff like the schemes in Newcastle (can't remember the names I'm afraid).

It's no use telling someone with a problem to pull their socks up, or using an approach which isn't based on evidence about what works, however well-intentioned you are.

cory Thu 22-Oct-09 12:42:10

Children have actually died from obesity or obesity-related heart failure, including a 3yo in Scotland described iirc as "choking on own fat". If a child is considered at serious risk from heart failure and their family are refusing to do anything- would you still say you can't take them away "because you disapprove of one aspect of their parenting"? What if this one aspect is putting their lives at risk? Doesn't mean
every fat child has to be taken away.

edam Thu 22-Oct-09 12:45:29

Tying rope around a bedroom door handle could be fatal in a fire. Doesn't mean the parent who was mentioned on another thread (who couldn't get into the room when her child was choking) should have her children taken into care.

There have been lots of threads about people not using child car seats - that could obviously be fatal, but taking the kids into care would be extreme.

edam Thu 22-Oct-09 12:47:35

Oh, and if the 3yo choking on their own fat comes from that Health Select Committee report, they got that wrong and had to apologise to the family. Poor kid had very real health problems NOT caused by the parents being crap.

Not sure I've seen any proof that any child has actually died from obesity. It's a long term health problem that may affect the rest of their life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now