Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

BBC are going to go ahead with BNP on question time

(19 Posts)
Bleh Wed 21-Oct-09 09:30:43

here. As much as I completely disagree with this group and all they stand for, I do believe they should be given the right to speak and make complete arses of themselves.

JollyPirate Wed 21-Oct-09 09:46:32

Agree - the audience will ensure they look complete arses.

BobbingForPeachys Wed 21-Oct-09 09:47:10

Good.

I'm a bit uncomfortable that they are still not technically a legal organisation and would have preferred publsihing of the signed constitutioon be the requisite for a guaranteed invite (may have changed but yesterday website still had same shit about only admitting self defined caucasian nationals to their little club), but now the invite has been extended it would be disastraous to withdraw it.

If they are a legit party and wish to be recognised as such they should be subject to the same scrutiny. NG is of course bright (in a specific IQ way, as opposed to 'EQ / geneal membership of humanity' wide ranging definition), so should present some form of acceptable face, but half their appeal seems to be from calling to some self defined downtrodden victimised mass- and that is something society can take from them. If NG doesn't find something to blame non-attendance on anyway.

ProfessorLaytonIsMyZombieSlave Wed 21-Oct-09 09:55:35

The BBC have said that their legal advice was that if an election were called tomorrow the BNP would still be eligible to participate, whatever the state of its constitution. If that's right then I think they are justified in taking the stance they have.

Bleh Wed 21-Oct-09 09:55:39

Like Voltaire said: "I may not agree with what you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it" (even if the speaker is a raving loon).

I hope Bonnie Greer asks some questions on their views on women, rape, etc. etc.

I am more worried about teh audience than than the panel TBH.
If the audience is full on BNP members they might disrupt but ultimately they should shoot themselves in teh foot if let to run riot.
If it is full of Unite against Fascism there is a worry that Griffin won't have full opportunity to let everyone see what a horrible man he is.

BobbingForPeachys Wed 21-Oct-09 10:00:56

JackBauWoo, on the toher thread yesterdays oeone posted a link to an article that stated member of the audience were being closely checked out, and the aufdience devised to be widely representative of all parties.

TheHerbs Wed 21-Oct-09 10:02:07

i think it is a fine idea, especially as that (is he Jewish?) guy is so keen to take them on, he's going to rip them to bits - either that or they'll hoist theirselves with their own petard. Should be fun to watch.

TheHerbs Wed 21-Oct-09 10:07:01

I think it makes sense also because basically, if he is a shite-for-brains muppet then nobody fairly bright will vote for him anyway, and if he isn't, he has the right to express his views anyway.
Nobody has to vote for him just because he wants them to. Supressing him is just going to add fuel to the support he already has and make them feel righteously angry.

He needs to be handled very cleverly, handed enough rope and challenged unremittingly on every lie.

I hope they are up to the job. Can't remember who it is my friend told me is the Jewish one, Jack Straw or someone I think, no someone put me straight please.

I know they check them bobbing, but the checks might not catch people determined to get through. Although they should let some raving fascists through, just for amusements sake when they start heckling and griffin ahs to either stop them, and incur wrath or join in and prove what a twat he is[evil]

Bleh Wed 21-Oct-09 10:10:52

Peter Hain? I'm not sure he's Jewish. He's an anti-apartheid campaigner, born in Kenya, childhood in SA.

TheHerbs Wed 21-Oct-09 10:13:27

Naw it is Jack Straw. I'm not sure if my friend was right and he's Jewish but he is the one who was so keen to do it apparently, here

BobbingForPeachys Wed 21-Oct-09 10:13:37

Straw- Jewish or not article

I don't have entire faith in the checks either, but they might pick out a few of the owrst offenders at least.

TheHerbs Wed 21-Oct-09 10:14:41

seems he has Jewish ancestry but not Jewish himself. Hope he does a good job whatever.

TheHerbs Wed 21-Oct-09 10:15:15

Thanks Peachy smile

BobbingForPeachys Wed 21-Oct-09 10:15:29

Bugger, one of those fiddly links

OK, qwuoted from same mag linked to in September,under title How Jewish Is JAck Straw:

'In an article discussing possible successors to Gordon Brown, Dubai-based Gulf News posed the question, "Jack Straw - a Jewish Prime Minister?" So just how kosher is he?

For: Straw does indeed have Jewish ancestry on his mother's side - his maternal great grandmother was a German-Jewish immigrant. Straw was brought up in Buckhurst Hill, Essex, where there is a synagogue. He went to Leeds University, one of our more haimishe institutes of higher education where he read law (noch). Having qualified, he branched out into media (as a researcher for World in Action) and then went into politics. If there was a classic Jewish career path, this would be it. He was also named by Labour MP Tam Dalyell as part of "a cabal of Jewish advisers" surrounding Tony Blair. Where there's smoke...

Against: Although Straw's great grandmother was Jewish, it was the wrong one - on his mother's father's side. So Straw is not halachically Jewish. Indeed, in a speech given in 1995, he said: "I come from Jewish stock although I'm Christian now." So even if he looks like a shul warden, he doesn't want to be one of us. Straw's father is from Barnsley - not a Jewish place.

Verdict: The motion is defeated

So we say he is 12% Jewish
The series in which we investigate the Semitic qualities (or otherwise) of someone in the news. '

Bleh Wed 21-Oct-09 10:22:00

TBH, it is neither here nor there whether or not Jack Straw is or is not Jewish. He would not be considered Jewish by most rabbinical authorities (as it is from his father's side), and he appears to be non-practicing, hence, not Jewish (just has some Jewish ancestry), despite Tom Dalyell's little comment (in matters of "who is Jewish", rabbis tend to override bitter politicians). It's like with Marx, it drives me up the WALL that it's almost always pointed out that he was Jewish. He wasn't. His father was, but converted to Christianity. So halachically and practically Marx was not Jewish.

TheHerbs Wed 21-Oct-09 10:27:57

Sorry - I don't really have the requisite educationto know whether it matters, was passing on what friend told me in case it was relevant, but I hope he does well against NG anyway. Hope not to have offended anyone.

BobbingForPeachys Wed 21-Oct-09 11:11:55

Well, you can be of Jewish culture but not faith, I've seen that used quite a few times- but even then for it to be 'proper' it has to be matrilineal.

I don't hink it is relevant,except that we have just debunked a myth that mnany BNP types may use to try and devalue JS's contribution (if any) to debate to the status of personal bile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now