Talk

Advanced search

Major study: Working mothers "do not harm their children's development"

(16 Posts)
sprogger Sun 18-Oct-09 11:00:18

Article here.

I hope in vain that this will recast the media discussion of WOH/SAH mothers into the rather more rational position that families need to do what works for them, and what works will be different for different families. Too much to ask, do you think?

cherryblossoms Sun 18-Oct-09 14:04:38

Good to read that.

It bears out what I have found to be true in RL. So nice to see it corroborated with real research.

Glad you posted it. I think women feel way too much guilt about their "choices".

starwhoreswonaprize Sun 18-Oct-09 14:11:38

Rubbish, poorly constructed report. Children are badly damaged by childcare...

grinwinkgrin

Just fancied a laugh.

VulpusinaWilfsuit Tue 20-Oct-09 00:14:53

It's interesting, isn't it, how little press this research has had, compared with those reports peddling the standard story that working women are all evil, their children stunted and scarred etc..

moondog Tue 20-Oct-09 00:16:51

Who even cares or needs their choices validated like this?

Northernlurker Tue 20-Oct-09 00:31:38

Err Moondog - have you read the comment below by 'Penelope Gibbons'

'After having four children myself, and seeing at first hand the traumatic effects on very young children which are created by harassed parents dumping them in nurseries or with a variety of child minders themselves - I can only see this as a way by the professional middle classes to assuage their own guilt. How come that on giving birth we are offered a number of different varieties of childcare by the state - none of which includes payment to stay at home and raise our own children. Yet again we have psuedo trendy intellectuals who don´t want the difficult messy task of raising their own kids and are probably in their mid thirties before they pop one out while in Germany and Austria both parents get paid to stay home and look after their children until the age of two because studies there have shown that this is the diffinitive period of parenting in terms of the long term psychological health and identity of the child. Yes - part time working is a good recipe for both mother and child but I have seen children with depression aged one because, having lived at home since birth, they are shoved into nursery nine to five, five days a week, and the results show up much later in life. Come off it... why have kids if you have to institutionalise them from age dot.'

That's why this sort of study is to be welcomed.

ParanoidAtAllTimes Tue 20-Oct-09 07:49:19

Ooo that quotation makes me angry

Someone needs to tell Ms Gibbons that some of us work because WE HAVE NO CHOICE!!

Glad to see there is research showing my LO may not grow up with a screw loose purely because I have to go back to work (funnily enough, I turned out ok with 2 working parents) hmm

tiredemma Tue 20-Oct-09 07:55:04

Thanks for the link.

As Paranoid also pointed out, Both of my parents worked - it didn't damage me, just gave me a strong work ethic.

Fortunately I only have boys and in the sterotypical world we live in, they wont have to put up with all the guilt shit surrounding WOHM.

SixtyFootDoll Tue 20-Oct-09 08:08:21

Bet this one won't turn up inthe Daily Mail!

sarah293 Tue 20-Oct-09 08:14:17

Message withdrawn

sprogger Tue 20-Oct-09 08:16:30

You know what's even more interesting? Read the coverage of this study in the Times vs the Observer. Note that both articles reference that research that was widely reported a few weeks ago about the children of working mothers being fat, only the Times only references in passing while the Observer went back to the original research team and asked how the two sets of findings linked up.

The response from the "obesity" researchers was (and I'm paraphrasing), "Our conclusion wasn't that mothers shouldn't work, it was that childcare providers should be better prepared to offer healthy of diet and exercise."

ssd Tue 20-Oct-09 08:30:31

true riven!

Medea Sun 25-Oct-09 14:44:42

The comment by Penelope Gibbons suggests that some people were just dying for a study to show the opposite is true and are greatly disappointed that a large percentage of the population of children won't (necessarily) be f*cked up.

missmay Mon 26-Oct-09 21:09:04

ive got to go back to work and wish i didnt have to...i feel so guilty, but have no other choice unless i want my children to grow up poor...its really really hard finding a good childcare provider...

Medea Tue 27-Oct-09 18:31:02

Maybe this study will alleviate your guilt somewhat Missmay because guilt is horrible. sad

I bow at the feet of SAHMs, but I don't feel guilty that I also work out of the home. I wouldn't make a good SAHM and I recognize my limitations.

I do think, however, that when people differentiate between women who work by choice and women who work by necessity they are without realizing it perpetuating the myth that working mums are harming their children. If you say "I work by necessity not choice" in way you are saying "I am damaging by children by necessity not choice."

Hopefully this study will make working mums worry a bit less, whether they work by choice or necessity.

georgiemum Tue 27-Oct-09 18:38:46

I am only going to say this once...

Stay at home mum - pissed off, bored, depressed and skint = sad child

Stay at home mum - happy, fulfilled, coping well = smile child

Working mum - pissed off, over worked, depressed and tired out = sad child

Working mum - happy, fulfilled, coping well = smile child

It depends on the mum (and to some extent the personality of the child), not if she works or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now