Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Toddler Tearaways Targeted

(9 Posts)
MarsLady Sun 12-Jun-05 16:16:23

Read this in the Times today and I was horrified.

Imagine the scene.........

Your little darling throws a major paddy for reasons known only to themself. They get in trouble at nursery. Suddenly social services identifies the future criminal in him/her. Away they go into another government funded facility!

So it might be my imagination in overdrive but that's exactly what I thought when I read the article.

MarsLady Sun 12-Jun-05 16:17:01

oops forgot the link

here it is!

Mhamai Sun 12-Jun-05 16:38:50

Oh what complete tosh! I love the way some suits put there one braincell between twenty of them! sorry I cant even discuss this but needless to say, if nanny state keeps up I'll be visiting my ds4 in fifteen yrs. his crime? didn't share his smarties! They tried to tell me he would end up dealing e, but would I listen? no! Oh pleasssssssssse! With a bit of luck our children will grow up and move these lunatics on! It's them needs targetting imho

happymerryberries Sun 12-Jun-05 16:48:21

I think we need to know exactly what criteria would be used. TBH I very much doubt that this is going to be targeting normal misbehaviour, but rather those children who's behavoir can be quite destrurbed at a very young age. If these children can be identified and helped them so much the better, I'm thinking if the excellent work done by nurture groups. And the behaviour of some of these children can be very, very challenging indeed.

the sooner these sorts of probelms can be identified and sorted out the better imho. I'm dealing with kids at school who are dangerously antisocial, it is a lot better all round if these probelms are sorted out sooner rather than later.

Mhamai Sun 12-Jun-05 17:58:14

I can see accept your view HMB but tbh I think crime is a reflection that something is missing in the wider community. I think sadly we are living in a time where everything has become so fast, but come on to be so judgmental as to pounce on children because of criminals in their famalies. I'm sorry but theres just something that smells of not right with this. By all means I'm 100% for anything that would benefit society bur for example, maybe going into for example a home where there is trouble and trying to help the family, ie counselling, support services etc intsead of waiting at the Nursery gates and picking them off! What next Blond Hair Blue eyes only! and coming richly from the man himself whose own son wasn't too far back stumbling round the streets of London out of his tree! Bet he wont end up behind bars or Good old Harry for that matter, would be interested to see if this would be implemented in all areas! instead of the usual scapegoating of certain areas, that usually have little or no support. I live in Ireland and it seems to be the same here. I just think it sad that if Goverments spent more on Health Education Support services etc, they might not need to target children barely out of nappies.

Mhamai Sun 12-Jun-05 17:59:44

Sorry, HMB I should have said "I can see and accept" back of the class for me there

happymerryberries Sun 12-Jun-05 18:02:20

I think that the key issue is that there has to be early intervention and help not punishment. Support services need to be in place for 'vulnerable' familes, with parenting help for parents, many of whom will have poor parenting skills because they can from dysfunctional amilies themselves.

I wouldn't want to see people being unfairly targeted but I don't think that it is unreasonable to look at the family situation when you are dealing with troubled children.

happymerryberries Sun 12-Jun-05 18:03:17

There is some wonderful work being done with children like this is Nurture Groups in many primary schools. They are, of course, badly underfunded....what a surprise!

Mhamai Sun 12-Jun-05 18:25:16

Oh what to say? we could sit here for yrs going round with this but I strongly feel the Goverment needs to do more in terms of support but I dont know if having ppl standing over three yr olds and fishing out potential future criminals is the way either. I mean the system isnt and hasnt worked in either of our countries, so how is this new care home system going to operate? Just a thought but I was watching a documentary a while back, think it was poverty Britain and there was a single mum who had to repeatadly move home because of her violent ex p, she was constantly stressed and her young boy was very troubled acting out etc, though when in his nursery, he was a calm content little boy. I don't know I just don't know HMB but think I have to leave this now, getting a bit depressed about it tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now