Talk

Advanced search

Reciprocal Childcare - response from the Government

(8 Posts)
tHELLISH Wed 14-Oct-09 17:06:41

I signed the recent petition on Reciprocal Childcare after the recent news that two friends who job-shared and cared for each others' children were stopped by Ofsted and told they would need to register as Childminders.

This was the Government's response:

The Childcare Act 2006 requires anyone providing ‘childcare for reward’ to register with Ofsted, with the aim of ensuring every child in a commercial childcare service is safe and well cared for. Parents would expect no less. However, our intention has always been that friends and families caring for children through informal arrangements should be exempt from having to register and we believed that was what always happened. In the light of this recent case we are talking to Ofsted about how we can make sure there’s a shared understanding with Ofsted, and with parents, of what the law means and how it should interpreted.

(there was also a bit at the bottom about how much lolly they are throwing parents' way every day to help pay for childcare, etc etc)

It was also on the news last night that the police officers in question were told that they could resume their arrangement unhindered.

Good news, I thought!

FlamingoBingo Wed 14-Oct-09 21:05:43

Ooh! That is good news! smile

tHELLISH Wed 14-Oct-09 21:31:59

tHELLISH Thu 15-Oct-09 11:29:31

bumping one last time!

WreckOfTheHesperus Thu 15-Oct-09 13:22:43

Common sense prevails - how good, and yet how depressingly rare! smile

PeedOffWithNits Fri 16-Oct-09 11:07:08

common sense!

It's only how the world has ALWAYS functioned and the whole thing has made Ofsted look bloody stupid.

tHELLISH Mon 19-Oct-09 10:48:11

Yes - the Government seem to be trying to blame Ofsted / at least make Ofsted look a bit silly and overzealous...but I do have sympathy with them, as the regulations are so specific about how many hours are allowed, whose house it should be in, etc
hmm

Given that it's been discussed all over parenting boards for years that that wasn't "what always happened" it's pretty staggeringly incompetent of the Government not to have been aware of how the rules were being interpreted. If they weren't aware, which I don't believe for one moment have my doubts about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now